Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Nomad 4?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Depends where you ride though.

I’ll point out again that Swinley isn’t exactly representative of the UK (skip to 2:15 for actual riding)

Well, I live in the south, but ride and race all over the UK.

Still, must have missed on the video where you need a 170mm travel bike to ride what looks like a really good, fun trail (let alone the DH bike he’s on).

Probably would have been better in something like the Dirt film, a bigger slice of pie where they are all smashing trails like that on trail bikes.

Still i’m sure it will sell great, we will no doubt have users single the praises of it climbing better than an XC bike, descending better than DH bike & still weighing 26ls with coils everywhere 🙂

daern
    Free Member

I like the look of it, but following the discussion about slopping around in mud in my other thread, I’d be really concerned about having the shock mounted there when riding in muddy conditions. It’s going to get some serious stick if you’re riding in inclement weather.

I’m a fan of having the expensive slidey bits mounted good and high up (not a fan of inverted forks either!) rather than in the line of grime.

Reckon that we’re looking at another Californian bike designed for Californian weather?

deadkenny
    Free Member

chakaping – Member 

Some people just like riding downhill faster?

There’s the V10 for that.

Some of us like riding up and down mountains.

Bronson, Hightower, 5010, Tallboy. All fit that bill and all will do fine for “Tweed valley, Highlands, Lakes, Peaks, Wales…..” etc.

Took my 5010 to the Lakes and was very thankful I did vs a big travel beast.

BoardinBob

This may be controversial, but it’s ok to own more than one bike for different riding conditions!

Looking forward to demoing the new Nomad in a few weeks in the alps 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member 
    This may be controversial, but it’s ok to own more than one bike for different riding conditions!
    Looking forward to demoing the new Nomad in a few weeks in the alps

I do, hence have a 5010 and Nomad (and hard tail) 😀

But I’ve come to realise the 5010 is plenty enough bike for the vast majority of what I do. The Nomad is old and I’m holding on to it thinking I need it for bigger stuff, but the likes of the above places it’s just not needed. I’ll use it for BPW, Stiniog, Rogate, Aston Hill, Cwmcarn DH etc. More in that I don’t want to get my 5010 scratched up on an uplift 😀

To be fair, if someone gave me a Nomad v4 for free or very cheap, yeah I’d have it despite how ugly it is 🙂 . It wouldn’t replace the 5010 though, which will still get the majority of riding (bearing in mind that’s mostly Surrey Hills, surrounding area and trips to Wales and the like, and generally less trail-centre).

Each time a new Nomad has come along I’ve been thinking of replacing my old one with it, but then each new Nomad goes even further out of my reach in ability. Or rather justifying it for my lack of ability. It’s overbiked for me now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bronson, Hightower, 5010, Tallboy. All fit that bill and all will do fine for “Tweed valley, Highlands, Lakes, Peaks, Wales…..” etc.

Took my 5010 to the Lakes and was very thankful I did vs a big travel beast.

I’m very happy for you.

jonnym92

Shoot, I better get rid of my current bike, a Nomad 3, it’s only 5mm less travel that the new one. It’s a total barge of a bike and I couldn’t possibly enjoy it on tame trails.. 😉

The new one has grown on me, quite a bit. I’m intrigued by the direction it’s gone in – not quite dh not quite enduro. It’s 5mm more travel at the rear than the previous Nomad yet it should have better pedaling efficiency due to the shock change. A friend is on the look out to replace his Nomad 3 so hopefully get the chance to demo the SC range and see how they all compare.

Look forward to seeing the rumoured long travel Hightower too.

Shandy
    Free Member

Fortunately none of you short-travel try-hards are under any obligation to buy this.

prawny

I like it. In Ink anyway, the tan one is manky, but I don’t think I’ve liked any bikes in that colour.

I like that it takes a bottle too, that’s a trend I’m fully supportive of, I love riding with just a small waist pack for local/decent weather/trail centre rides.

Won’t get one though, I can’t afford a decent hardtail.

jonnym92

Anyone spotted the GX eagle on the US site too?? Interesting..

Click Nomad C and then the ‘s’ build..

here

tomhoward

I think this makes sense, if you already have a trail bike, such as a 5010 (i.e. Something that could get you down a DH track, but not quickly or gracefully) but you want to not have to push a 40lb lump back up the hill. Or (like me) the speed at which you need to ride a proper dh sled to make it work (warp 9+) over the terrain said sleds are designed for scares the shit out of you. (My mk3 does this very well, so would replace that with it, but not if it was my only bike)

Wouldn’t buy one to replace a selection of bikes though.

poah
    Free Member

jonnym92 – Member

Anyone spotted the GX eagle on the US site too?? Interesting..

Click Nomad C and then the ‘s’ build..

yes, on the first page lol

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I find it intriguing that SC are being quite clear in not advertising the N4 as their new Enduro race bike.

I suspect that their marketing will be quite different for the release of the new Hightower LT 29. This will likely have the EWS badge attached to it and a focus on out right Enduro race pace.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’m a fan of having the expensive slidey bits mounted good and high up (not a fan of inverted forks either!) rather than in the line of grime.

Inverted forks actually work really well in the slop – seals don’t get crud building up on them, and they’re out of the line of fire from shit flying off the tyres. More mud clearance too.

When an oil seal blows you’ll know about it though!

teethgrinder

It’s a Santa Cruz. They are the latest clit bike, therefore they’ll be all over the place within 12m. At least the don’t look exactly the same as a Bronson or 5010 anymore.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teethgrinder – Member
    It’s a Santa Cruz. They are the latest clit bike, therefore they’ll be all over the place within 12m.

Guaranteed to get the haters out?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I was expecting this thread to be about the cost, and instead it’s mostly full discussion about whether mountains exist, or are needed. 🙂

I sold on a Nomad mk 3 because it was too much for my middle-aged mincing. But I’m glad bikes like this are a thing. For anywhere without uplifts, a full-on DH bike seems like a bit of a curse.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah and for those of us outside the bubble…
    It would be a blast
    here
    http://bluedirt.com.au/mtb-bookings/
    here
    http://maydenabikepark.com/the-trails/
    here
    https://www.vertigomtb.com.au/uplift-shuttles
    be something to whinch up my local mountain, to haul up and down the lakes at times and many more places.

I was expecting this thread to be about the cost

Problem these days is the prices are on par with specialized…
    I can see how a bunch of bike packing roadies don’t get it though.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I think it’s an interesting idea and a fairly bold move from SC to not make the N4 squarely aimed at the enduro market, which would surely of led to greater sales of one on a their flagship bikes (that could be a very uk perspective though). Saying that SC always seem to like to try a break a bit of new ground when it comes bigger burly bikes – when I bought my N2 there wasn’t really much else around widely available in of a 160 travel, do it all, take it anywhere, pedal it up hills bike – the competition was mainly heavy free ride bikes and the orange alpine 160 hadn’t been realeased (there’s now a slew of these bikes) – so I guess this is a natural progression of their ethos?

Will also be interested to see how different it actually is to ride and how much is marketing fluff. Other than moving the shock (which admittedly is a big change) and 20mm longer reach, it’s not wildly different from the N3, so will the N4 actually stop being the all round enduro bike the N3 is? If the answer is no, I think you’ll see a lot of them around and it’s probably more of a strategy to differentiate the line up and widen the gap with the bronson. If yes, then like others, it would be a bit niche for my riding and I’d stick to my N3

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Given the amount of capras I see at enduros, I can’t see an extra 5mm at the back putting folks off.

kayak23

I think Josh and Loose kind of like it.
    [video]http://youtu.be/jUawBcTFzL8[/video]

excitable1
    Free Member

‘Yes, yes, that’s what I heard too… all big travel bikes are rubbish, dumb down the trails and take away the fun factor… we all should be riding short travel bikes’

Wookster

Well as times gone on so grown to like this more!! I’d love to ride one. I think it was pink bike or GMBN said it would be a great enduro bike for someone starting outracing and who didn’t want to be out of their depth!!

Too rich for my blood though! SC tax is crazy!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Worth a look at the Radon Swoop wookster, remarkably similar angles and also 170mm travel.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think it looks awesome, totally on point bike for hucking and shredding.

Have you just time machine’d in from 1999 Canada?

Leku
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZOyCCLRkg[/video]

Cedric on one. I may have been partly responsible for the hangover on the last day.

Wookster

Thanks Chakaping! But my inner chimp has his heart set on a Nicolai…not that I’d do either justice… 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

At least with the Nicolai you’re getting something really different geometry-wise.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Nomad 4?’ is closed to new replies.