Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • No wonder some drivers hate cyclists…
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cycling to work this morning and i saw a cyclist up ahead moving quite slowly. A small car passed me (plenty of room given) and came up behind this cyclist, who by this point was in the middle of the lane and moving at a snails pace.
    Fortunately, the car was turning left so waited until it could make the turn.
    I carried on and came up behind this cyclist who was essentially riding down the white line very slowly.
    I realised something wasn’t quite right, he was all over the place, riding one handed and looking down at a steep angle.
    Came alongside (on his left ‘cos he was in the middle of the roadway) and realised he was actually, really doing it…..

The thick clown was texting on his soddin’ phone!

I looked at him in amazement and he looked up at me and said “…what?”

Flabbergasted, i passed him and looked back, he was now on the wrong side of the road, still texting and still riding really slowly!

No wonder we get the blame for idiots like this!

I was tempted for a moment to push him off so he broke his phone but common sense prevailed…

RealMan
    Free Member

and realised he was actually, really doing it…..

Thought “it” was going to be something dirty for a moment..

LoCo
    Free Member

Should have given him a ‘tyre burn’ 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thought “it” was going to be something dirty for a moment..

Slightly disappointed here too 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I think “that” would have been to far even for the local inbreeds around here! 😆

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Was it an Iphone?

If so, I would have been in awe of him.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Saw something similar last week with a guy on a bike swerving all over the road. No phone this time just trying to light his fag! 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Future Darwin award winner?

McHamish
    Free Member

It would have been even better if your reply to “what” was to point at the lorry that was about to flatten him.

That would have learned him…although they allow phones in hospitals nowadays so he would have just carried on in the ambulance and probably asked for a local anesthetic so he could carry on while they sewed him together again.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Know it sounds awful but was kinda hoping to hear a squeal and a BANG! as he won an Honours in the Darwin Awards…

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

world is full of idiots. some ride bikes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Pretty much shows the double standard. People see someone on a bike doing this and it’s “no wonder cyclist have a bad name and drivers hate them” people do this in a car and it’s “that person is a bloody idiot e.t.c” but the gneral public would not really consider this to be an issue with “those bloody car drivers, shouldn’t let any cars on the road”.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Personally i think anyone caught using a handheld phone whilst driving – and especially texting – should be immediately banned for 3 months.
    Not going to happen though, because the car is king and because no-one actually seems to get pinged for using a handset whilst driving!
    Certainly, around here drivers aren’t worried about being caught…

Flaperon

I followed a girl (presumably a uni student at Manchester) who rode through every red light along Oxford and then Palatine Road heading south towards Didsbury.

She was going fairly slowly so she passed me every time I stopped at a red light and overtook me, and then I caught her up. After the fourth or fifth time (and after two occasions when she’d avoided being knocked off her bike only by crossing traffic giving way to her), I took a closer look and realised she was deep in conversation on a handsfree kit.

It’s hardly surprising many car drivers loathe cyclists when people like her (and, in fact, I think the majority) do ride like ****. The worst of it is, if a car does take them out after they’ve ridden through a red light, it’s on the neck of the driver.

Even if they’re absolved by the police, chances are the cyclist will use a no-win-no-fee solicitor for compensation and if they’re killed, the driver has to live with that forever.

boxfish
    Free Member

I became so disillusioned with the behaviour of drivers and cyclists on my commute that I changed my route completely. I now have a mellow pootle with minimal traffic of any kind. I think jimbobrighton sums it up though. There’s no accounting for fools.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m now riding 5km further on my commute to get virtually traffic free country lanes. Sweet 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Wish i could do a nice pootle to work via country lanes, unfortunately i have to use a 40mph (i.e. 50) A road, then cut through the town centre to get to work. 🙁

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Flaperon – I ride that route every day and see so many terrible cyclists it makes me wince.

For the past year I’ve mainly taken the back streets so I don’t have to see any of it. I saw a lad in Fallowfield just this week ride between 3 buses while on his phone, riding about 5 mph without a care in the world.

I on the other hand, was positively cacking it just watching him. Just pure selfishness really, and typical of the ‘me me me’ attitude of people these days.

Like I said in a previous post, nothing, absolutely nothing I see on the roads surprises me any more.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I shot a bloke on a unicycle earlier, he was disturbing my chickens, I’m sticking with the line that the fur coat he had on made him look like a dog/wolf.

CountZero

I was out for a walk Sunday, and there’s a busy road with a short narrow uphill one-way section that becomes two-way just at the crest, before dropping down to the main A4. There are houses either side so they have an uphill access with no entry signs. Anyway, I get to the crest of the hill to see a pensioner on a bike, dayglo jacket, helmet and all, cycling on the footpath, which is just wide enough for a pushchair. As she forced herself past me, onto the one-way bit, I said, “excuse me, cycling on the footpath’s illegal, and you’re riding the wrong way down a one-way road” “F*** off” was the reply. Senior citizens, eh, no damned respect. I rather hoped I’d hear a bang as the stupid cow went head-on into one of the cars coming towards her.
    Previous week, on the junction at the beginning of the one-way bit, I went to cross the road, which is a blind corner on the right, looked left to check no cars were coming, stepped out and nearly got clobbered by a male cyclist tearing along the one-way bit the wrong way in the actual traffic lane. Missed me by centimetres. Wish I’d been a fraction later, I’d have had the stupid bastard clean off his bike and lying in the road. Perhaps next time. He had on all the kit, dayglo jacket, reflective tabard, lights on his bike and a lid. And riding like a complete ****wit. I s’pose all the kit give the retard moral superiority.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Even if they’re absolved by the police, chances are the cyclist will use a no-win-no-fee solicitor for compensation and if they’re killed, the driver has to live with that forever.

Killing cyclists makes you immortal???

khani
    Free Member

There can be only one………

surfer
    Free Member

Overtook a woman in a merc the other day doing about 70. Coffee in one hand mobile in the other, texting. I suspect she was holding the wheel with her knee.

All too typical unfortunately.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s hardly surprising many car drivers loathe cyclists

Again great to see basis of groping together cyclist is still strong.

Do you feel you this way about all motorist when you see a motorist driving badly?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more with TheBrick!

Motorists and Pedestrians do it too. why not use that as a basis for hating a group of people who simply happen to use the same form of transport.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Because it is a cycling forum?

Just a thought.

firestarter
    Free Member

Just because people wear trainers it doesn’t make them a runner, and so on

DezB
    Free Member

I think I’ll start a new thread every time I see a motorist doing something **** stupid.
    It could get boring.

langylad
    Free Member

Some bad things have happened to me when cycling but i am still waiting to be groped!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Overtook a woman in a merc the other day doing about 70.

At least she wasn’t speeding

richmtb

There seems to be an ever increasing proportion of the population who aren’t prepared to take any responsibility for their own actions.

It manifests itself in everthing from personal debt to obesity and riding/walking/driving like an idiot.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The OP’s comment “No wonder some drivers hate cyclists” was a perfectly valid one imo.

Yes, some people see someone acting like an arsehole on a bike and it colours their opinion concerning all cyclists . That isn’t exactly totally surprising – people tend to remember incidents which shock them, rather than non-incidents which don’t draw their attention.

Again great to see basis of groping together cyclist is still strong.

I’m not entirely sure what that means, but whatever it means, I feel fairly confident no none has done that on this thread.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘No wonder some drivers hate cyclists…’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM