Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 311 total)
  • No mow May
  • Bunnyhop

Who’s letting the grass grow?

Our garden has been left to go a little wild for a number of years now. The benefits to birds, bees, insects and wildlife has been huge.

I love the long grass waving in gentle summer breezes and watching various insects land on it. Some of the lawn gets a mow, but on a long cut setting and only once a month. It helps in a drought too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

No.
    But I do have a 2 acre paddock that is only cut once a year (for hay) and has a wriggly path cut through it for evening walks with the dogs.

CheesybeanZ

As a bulk of my living comes from mowing it’s a no from me 😉

greyspoke
    Free Member

We went meadow two years ago, only a small patch gets a regular cut.

This will be the first year where we hope to see meadow flowers that have self-seeded returning.

dovebiker

🦌

I live next to a nature reserve – a herd of red deer comes into my garden and nibbles the grass to within a few mm. Should I be shooing them off for the next month?

b230ftw
    Free Member

I am cultivating my perfect lawn at the moment so it’s a no from me. There’s no point in having grass unless you’re going to make it like a nice lawn, plant other stuff instead of you don’t like mowing.

Oblongbob

My mower just broke so it’s a yes from me. Resisted urge to get a new one, and hopefully it can be fixed by the local mender, but for now we’re going wild.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I am cultivating my perfect lawn at the moment so it’s a no from me. There’s no point in having grass unless you’re going to make it like a nice lawn, plant other stuff instead of you don’t like mowing.

I have child she plays on the grass. Not sure she would have much fun playing in a flower bed.

I just let it grow

Last year I only cut it twice.

Letting it grow stops the moss taking over,

Matches the wild hedge I have down the boundary. I did plant wild flowers In the road side (that I own) but they didn’t reflowed due to the density of existing grass regrowing over winter.

Yak

No. But I am going for an improved number of mixed species in the hedges this year. Having nothing flowering in the hedge is dull and of no benefit to bees etc so going to boost ’em up. Starting today!

Also no mow front areas of grass = increased dog shit.

Drac

Is this a euphemism?

zippykona

I’m in and will be planting all the tubs of dirt we have kicking around with dandelions.
    8 dandelions are needed to keep a bee going for a day.
    We planted a tree on the verge last year and when I water it with the grass short most of it goes into the road.
    I’ve left the grass long and only a small amount gets wasted now .
    That must mean something.

dc1988

I cut mine infrequently and always on the highest setting, if I cut some flowers then different ones tend to grow back. I often leave a longer bit of meadow in my back garden and some bee orchids grew

I figure a lawn is just something green so if it has some moss, is a bit longer and has some flowers in it then I can use it just the same as if it looked like Augusta

fatbrad
    Free Member

Drac
    Is this a euphemism?

Posted 6 minutes ago

I’m disappointed it took an hour for this reply.

funkmasterp

Left ours so far this year and it is now full of dandelions, bees and insects. The kids love it! Mowing lawns is like washing cars for me. Something other people do almost religiously. Crack on if it makes you happy. I’ll be riding my bike!

sirromj

pondo

We tend to mow regular because it makes it a much quicker job – I have however negotiated a no mow May policy for the bottom bit, and I may accidently raise the cutting height for the rest without noticing. ;)

tenfoot

Brilliant. I was trying to work out when I’ll get time to cut the lawn this weekend.

Don’t need to bother now.

We already have daisies and a few dandelions. Just need to keep an eye on the dog!

matt_outandabout

We’ve got areas we leave long permanently.
    We also have some plants dedicated to attracting wildlife. We’ve carder bees and (I think) buff tailed bees, we’ve 7 nest boxes (2 full this year) of different designs for wren, sparrow and blue tit.
    We’ve hedgehogs, red and grey squirrels, deer very occasionally in winter, and a pair of wood pigeons who live in the big tree.
    Despite all this we’ve three neighbourhood cats that terrorise the wildlife and sh*t everywhere.
    Rather than not mow the grass, can I shoot the cats?

joshvegas
    Free Member

basically we do half at top setting.

But the dandelions get the fiskars treatment. I then hang the dead carcasses on the fence as a warnign to other dandelions.

thecaptain
    Free Member

We have two small pieces of lawn so I converted one to full meadow a few years ago – I’ve been doing just one cut in late autumn, though I’m thinking of adding a summer cut – and keep the other neat.

After 5 or so years the meadow has an amazing range of flowers, I really recommend it. I put a few things in deliberately (particularly including yellow rattle) but most is just random self-sown.

rexated
    Free Member

Drac

Is this a euphemism?

I take a mullet approach – leave it to grow as long as it likes at the back, but nice and tidy round the front. Got to consider kerb appeal.

zippykona

My garden is all overgrown
    And the weeds are creepin’ up on my home
    Grass has grown over two foot high
    And the trees are blockin’ out the sky
    French windows won’t open anymore
    From the moss that’s grown outside the door
    A hundred birds are nestin’ in the trees
    Looks like a wildlife sanctuary
    But I’m not gonna cut a single blade of grass
    My garden will look just like the distant past
    Before the days of agricultural land
    Before the time when pebbles turned to sand
    When I leave this house I’m gonna stay
    I’m forsakin’ my comforts to live another way
    To get my clothes from heaps, my food from bins
    My water from ponds and have tramps for all m

desperatebicycle

I er, I.. I don’t know why I’m replying on this thread. That’s how much I care about whether or not I mow my lawn (usually not). Nothing to do with cultivating or meadow (arf!) or niceness. I’m just a lazy sod.

Northwind

I’ve never cared about lawns at all before but my new place has so many weeds and dandelions and moss and Wrong Grass in it that I’ve taken it personally and declared war. Filled a wheelie bin to the brim with nothing but weeds and moss rakings, it’s not that big a garden.

So I dunno, after all that I kind of want to get it cut just to see what it actually looks like. I’m doing an insect mix of seeds in the borders so that balances it out I guess.

northernsoul

Our lawn isn’t that large, but the kids do play football on it so I keep it shortish. I cut it regularly because cutting it short when it’s too long doesn’t make for healthy grass. We make up for the lawn by having a hedge made up of mostly hawthorn plus some wild rose that is home to more sparrows than we can count, plus robins and blackbirds. We also have a sparrowhawk that visits from time to time to keep things in check…

thomas132

Not touching the back garden, but the kids have trampled the grass into oblivion anyway. Front is on its second year of meadow (wildflower seed mix after turf removed), so far only bloodwort burnet/dandelion and some violas flowering this year, I’m hoping it gets a bit more colour soon. Maybe I need to add yellow rattle or cut it more than once a year?

phiiiiil

We go half and half by keeping most of it short-ish but leaving some areas to grow wild. It makes it so much quicker to mow as it’s the faffy bits like around the swing and stuff that we leave.

My favourite bit is watching all the birds hopping along the edges, popping in and out for (I guess) bugs, seeds and nesting material. They love it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Leaving mine but I’m going to lift my neighbours plastic shit & taking it to the tip while they’re away on holiday.
    I’m only thinking of the insects & other stuff that live there. Honest.

johndoh
    Free Member

But I do have a 2 acre paddock that is only cut once a year (for hay) and has a wriggly path cut through it for evening walks with the dogs.

Get you, well done. I’m beginning to start being impressed.

I have, like most of us, a modest small garden. Enjoy your paddock.

maccruiskeen

Is this a euphemism?

this is not the Theresa May thread Neil Parish was searching for

timber

Doing this at work should help free up a week, no complaints about the state of the paths please, I’ve firewood to catch up on.

wheelsonfire1

I spotted some violets in the shared front lawn some twenty or more years ago. I mowed around them until they’d seeded, now there are probably hundreds, and, have spread to the woodland, the road verges and the verges opposite. I now cut on a high setting and primroses, cowslips and fox and cubs are in abundance. I’ve put three plastic posts on the roadside verge to protect from the council’s mowers. It’s now got daffodils, dandelions, cowslips, aquilegia, fox and cubs, fox gloves and lots more. The weed killing squad still come along on the quads and kill stuff but overall it’s a lot better.
    If you do leave a lawn or grassed area long it looks good to cut paths through and cut areas where you can put a blanket down for a picnic. Cut in late summer if you need to and all sorts of insects and animals can overwinter.
    No mow June is good too!

Northwind

Can you imagine the STW classifieds pictures in a month though?

timba
    Free Member

Mow, don’t mow or just do selected bits, but why No Mow May? Come June and all of the new insect colonies will be shredded

weeksy

Proper stw thread this.

funkmasterp

How about just no mow at all or start a thread on “What animal to keep my grass maintained”

I think rhinos eat grass 🤔

anagallis_arvensis

Maybe I need to add yellow rattle or cut it more than once a year?

I think the effect of yellow rattle is quite overated but it can’t hurt. The biggest issue is most likely excess soil nitrogen. Cut it hard through out the year and leave it to go long only in summer. Make sure you remove the clippings to remove nutrients

Bruce

We don’t have a lawn.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m trying to resuscitate our lawn after ten years of trampoline action. I’ve just cut the grass but the dandelions will flowering again in a couple of days. I’m watching the bees on a Daphne next to the pond and hoping to see them on the apple trees. Next door are hard landscaping their back garden, not expecting to see much if any planting.

soobalias
    Free Member

i stopped in october, did movember, it was dry in january, it turns out veganuary isnt a real month.

slow day in the pointless marketing dept?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 311 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.