Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Night ride lights
  • shanta
    Free Member

Thinking of getting some night lights, but need to be cheap. Can anyone reconmend any?

Thanks

pixelmix
    Free Member

How cheap is cheap? What kind or riding, how long for?

shanta
    Free Member

Singletrack riding for 2/3 hrs cheap as possible but obviously need to be upto the job.

soobalias
    Free Member

search the forum for dealextreme (£50) or magicshine (45-80) or spokeshirts (60-90)

rewski
    Free Member

If you’ve not done before and money is an issue I’d try and borrow some or go on an organised ride and hire, it’s not for everyone, you’ll probably need to spend £200+ for anything decent, I’m happy to be proved wrong though.

I can recommend Lupine – nice spread of light and good battery life.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m not a resident light expert, but I got a Minewt 250 Cordless from the nice folks at TBC the other week after demoing one. It’s not the brightest light in the world, but I fancied something all-in-one rather than a separate battery pack. If you can live with a separate battery pack, you could get more lumens for the same price (a shade over £100).

I currently run it on my helmet as my only light (apart from a rubbish cateye on my bars which is really just to be seen) and it was adequate, although my plan is to add another similar light to my bars next winter.

robinbetts
    Free Member

+1 for the dealextreme/magicshine light, for a really bright light at a cheap price. It says 900 lumins which it might not be, but easily bright enough for anything I’ve done night riding yet, and lasts 3 hours on full. Yes, you can get brighter and you can get better made and you can get built in batteries, but not anywhere near that price, so for a first light on a budget it’s a no brainer.

stumpy01

I bought a spokeshirts light as a secondary helmet light and am well impressed with it.

They currently don’t have any of the one that I bought (owlet) in stock, but have a smaller one called The Tiddler that looks pretty good. From the spec it should be brighter than an Exposure Josystick type light and is only £60.
    Spokeshirts blokie popped up the other day and mentioned a new light in the pipeline that he is working on. Supposed to be 1100 lumens (very bright) and available soon.

Here’s the thread: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/front-light-advice
    although £129 might be more than you were wanting to pay? Perhaps give the tiddler a bash.
    If you click on spokebloke’s name in the thread, it’ll take you to his site and you’ll find the tiddler in the lights section – £55! Bargain.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The DX is dirt cheap – but you need to gaffa tape the batteries up to prevent water ingress, and I’ve had to return a battery that went pop, and a charger that went pop.

Very bright, very cheap, but not amazingly robust and warrenty issues have to go all the way back to hong kong. If you’re willing to live with that, nothing will touch them until you spend 4 times that amount.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

dealextreme (£50) or magicshine (45-80)

These are one and the same.

I’ve had a couple for over a year now and no problems.
    There are various options to check out (new sealed waterproof battery vs old one; UK plug vs US plug; new head unit vs old one)

For cheapest combo, I’d go for new battery with old head unit and US plug.(You will need a US plug to UK socket adaptor too. c£1)
    Clicky

Note that these will likely take 3 weeks to be delivered as they’re posted from Honk Kong.

jonb
    Free Member

There’s the new dealextreme one with the machine aluminium casing and the battery in a waterproof plastic case.

Currently running one a head light, it’s much better than the £130 it replaced and was half the price.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I had these on a demo/trial recently and was amazed at the output in comparison to my Exposure Maxx-D and Diablo combo really do sock out the light at a great price.

They have different lenses to the DX versions so offer a different spread of light. On bar switch was a great feature.

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/product_details.aspx?pid=275

and before anyone starts I have nowt to do with Uber apart from I buy stuff from there and they give me stuff to demo now and again before taking it to market to get in-use feedback.

MicArms

Shanta, we’re over the wyre tonight, if you want to tag along then more than welcome. I have a spare set of DX lights you can borrow. Most of the Clent duffers run Ay-ups and a few have Exposure lights too but these aren’t along the lines of cheap.. But for cheapness then the DX’s are very very good..

singletracksurfer

I use this http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Magic-Shine-Front-Bike-Light.html – actually I use a 2nd one on the helmet too.

really nice and bright. it has the newer, well sealed battery pack with the handy LCD display too.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh, and it was the DX ‘new improved’ waterproof battery that I had to return after it went pop.

shanta
    Free Member

Sorry Mic

Only just seen your post. Ended up going to a spin class! Cheers though.

neninja
    Free Member

I imagine these are the Spokelights that are on the way –

http://wonderbike.co.kr/shop/

The Fireball and Foride look impressive for under £150 for a 3 or 4 XPG light

balfa
    Free Member

I imagine these are the Spokelights that are on the way –

http://wonderbike.co.kr/shop/

The Fireball and Foride look impressive for under £150 for a 3 or 4 XPG light

Looks promising. Review of all the new lights here.

scottidog
    Free Member

Get a DX and stick the battery inside a sleeve of old inner tube, zip ties either end and you’re away. There’s a how to on bikeradar for an improved bar mount too which works fantastically- just search the forums.

You’d be a mug to buy anything else, especially as you’re just starting out.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Night ride lights’ is closed to new replies.