Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Niche axes – have we ever celebrated them yet?
  • ditch_jockey

In honour of our new wood burning stove, I’ve just gone out and bought myself a new Gransfors Bruks axe to replace the old one i got from my dad years back. Frighteningly expensive, but the quality of workmanship is evident when you compare it to my £30 Bahco splitting maul.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Now there’s a manly post.
    You won’t see that on mums net!

Stoner
    Free Member

maybe more axe wounds on mumsnet instead?

IGMC

munkster
    Free Member

I feel pathetically mainstream now after buying a £10 one from Homebase the other week…

MrNutt
    Free Member

should have bought a proper billhook, with the original handle, axes are for gaylords!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I bought my 3ft maul off ebay for 8 quid. Got to say, it does an excellent job

Got a billhook from the same place too, only 15 quid. Don’t use it much though, it’s too light and I feel like I might lose a hand!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Seeing as we’re putting plenty of wood through our stove now (best thing I’ve bought in a long time!) I quite fancy one of these Granfors splitting mauls but cannot see why they’re so expensive/what the difference would be!

skidartist
    Free Member

Dick, where real men get their choppers.

thebunk

Is that an instruction book hanging off it? 😯

Grass is patchy too.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Chuck Norris would stare at the logs and they’d split themselves. You paupers!
    I want a stove too!

firestarter
    Free Member

nice 😉

dazzlingboy

Have a one handed splitting axe and a small woodmans axe from them – quality is second to none – it is a handmade work of art vs mass produced.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Simple and effective

elliptic
    Free Member

My niche axes look this:

And they’re carbon fibre, so ner 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This is a niche log splitting axe
    http://www.chopperaxe.com/whatis.htm

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I don’t have an axe any more……

During my divorce, the wifes father reported me to the police for having an axe in the house (apparently it was an offensive weapon).

This would be the axe he advised me to buy for our wood burning stove.

So now axes are a symbol of failed marriages and insane Welsh inlaws (and a slight desire to have chopped a few heads off while I had the chance…..).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My favourite was always the z, seemed to have more depth than the others

ditch_jockey

Is that an instruction book hanging off it?

That is your ‘Axe Book’ – comes with every Gransfors Bruks and tells you, amongst other things, the name of the craftsman who forged your axehead and gives you a bit of history about the company and so on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Next time you see an episode of one of his shows containing an axe, just see how sharp the friggin thing is. He just waves it at the wood and the fibres magically part with a gentle swoosh.

moonboy
    Free Member

which axe for the lumberjack ball?

Would a long shaft be just showing off?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Niche axes – have we ever celebrated them yet?’ is closed to new replies.