Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Next dvd boxset?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Just watched last episode of breaking bad until season 5 arrives and it was a corker! Need something else to fill the void. Seen (and liked) sopranos, wire, killing, tinker tailor, house of cards, blackadder, spaced, curb your enthusiasm what should we go for next?

Northwind

The usual suspects- Oz, Band of Brothers, Firefly

kimbers

deadwood

justified

bsg

dexter

fringe

carnivale

shield

aye-aye
    Free Member

DeadWood
    Generation Kill
    Boardwalk Empire

stayhigh

We’re waiting for the second part of Breaking Bad season 5 to be released which is an infruiating state of affairs.

In the meantime Dexter is superb, Sons of Anarchy and Fringe are also a good shows too.

I keep thinking about Elementary as well as I like Johnny Lee Miller but suspect it maybe pap.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Shameless.

Really enjoying that set currently. Laughing out loud on numerous occasions and I don’t usually laugh out loud

takisawa2

Got to be “Father Ted” 🙂

Or “Lost”

Or, from the 90’s, “Our friends in the North”.

IHN

Mad Men
    30 Rock

binners

Dexter
    The Pacific
    30 Rock
    Generation Kill is a must if you’ve not seen it

IHN

I was a little underwhelmed by The Pacific…

I’ll add, because I love it, but I’m not it fits too well with your other stuff:

West Wing

klumpy
    Free Member

If you like gore, swearing, and full frontal nudity then Spartacus Blood and Sand is good – it even has some plot twists.

Game of Thrones is more cerebral and has Tyrion.

BSG was damn good except for the ending – but that’s only the last fifteen minutes.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Sons of Anarchy
    West Wing

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I gave up on Breaking Bad about 5 episodes in. Should I have persevered? Loads of people say it’s great but I just didn’t get remotely into it.

DezB
    Free Member

There’s only one answer:

SONS OF ANARCHY !

Get season 1 & 2 – season 1 is good, but not great.. but season 2… oh my, I have actually CRIED. Yes: Cried at the telly! I watched the end of season 2 last night and was literally shaking! Had to immediately watch the start of series 3. Nothing has ever grabbed me like that.

fubar
    Free Member

BSG was damn good except for the ending – but that’s only the last fifteen minutes.

Great ! I’m just working through BSG now after finishing Deadwood…which was excellent except the poor ending (do any of these series finish well ?)

messiah
    Free Member

Just finished season two of Treme’ and I really liked it. Not much happens if you want whizz bangs but the characters, landscapes and music make it enjoyable.

portlyone

Community.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don’t suppose anyone wants to sell me their season 4 breaking bad dvds? Tenner posted?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just subscribe to lovefilm instant. Shocked at how many series there are on there. We’re working our way through Spooks at the moment as it seemed to pass my by when it was on telly. A great, great series. Currently on series 5 – only 3 more to go!

philconsequence
    Free Member

twin peaks?
    the edge of darkness (bob peck bbc version)

lambchop
    Free Member

Deadwood, Madmen and Sons Of Anarchy are all great. For comedy my favourite boxset discovery has been Bored To Death, beautifully written and acted, love it!

disco_stu
    Free Member

After finishing The Wire last year I’m now on season 4 of Friday Night Lights and will be gutted when its over ( just like The Wire )

DrJ

Spiral
    The Bridge

surfer
    Free Member

+1 The Shield, outstanding and gripping right until the end.
    West Wing good until they changed a couple of key characters then I lost interest.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Why not go for some comedy? ‘Archer’ seasons 1-3.

Funniest thing on TV.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x6KApzgtjU[/video]

IHN

West Wing good until they changed a couple of key characters then I lost interest

Out of interest, which ones? I thought all the key ones stayed in it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

+1 for Lovefilm instant.

Currently working my way through “Life”; a cop show with Damien Lewis that passed me by.

surfer
    Free Member

Your right it wasnt the changing of key characters it was some joining, Think about the time Jimmy Smits joined. Sort of lost interest after that it seemed to ruin the flow a bit for me. Up to then it was great and Mrs Surfer watched the remaining ones and said it was good.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Have to agree with some of above – Sons of Anarchy is superb (latest season currently on tv Wednesday nights at 10pm)
    In terms of comedy though you have to check out Modern Family, fabulous characters, intelligent and funny.

IHN

Ah, gotcha.

FWIW, the final series (the Presidential campaign with Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda) was excellent

Coyote
    Free Member

Dexter. Brilliant in a kind of uncomfortable sort of way.

headfirst
    Free Member

What would be your Desert Island boxset? I’d find it very hard to choose between BSG and Dexter…ohhh, please don’t make me choose…sheer quantity and epic scale of BSG…delicious darkness of Dexter….

BSG wins. It doesn’t have that annoying English lass in Series 3.

philconsequence
    Free Member

desert island boxset? is it possible to have an ultimate HBO boxset?

Northwind

Love the West Wing… It’s a bit of an investment in time, though!

stilltortoise – Member

I gave up on Breaking Bad about 5 episodes in. Should I have persevered? Loads of people say it’s great but I just didn’t get remotely into it.

I stuck with it, it got a bit more momentum but tbh I’ve never understood what the hype is about… Worth watching I think but not amazing. Needs more HANK.

Pigface
    Free Member

Dexter series 5 felt like it had jumped the shark. Don’t feel inclined to persevere with series 6

Sons of Anarchy I got stuck when the IRA turned up in it, I should give it another go.

Utopia on Ch4 is amazing and I have only watched the first episode.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Seen game of thrones and loved it but not as keen on spartacus. Like modern family but not sure I’d get the boxset. Edge of darkness is under rated imho, loved it too.

Dexter and west wing are good shouts as is boardwalk empire, knew there were some things I’d forgotten!

Utopia, well that was just superb imo

jon1973
    Free Member

I thought it was fansatic, but I think if it hasn’t drawn you in by the fifth episode, it probably isn’t your thing.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Next dvd boxset?’ is closed to new replies.