Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • NEWWWWWBLLLUUEEEEE bike thread. Whyte T130SX
  • samwilk200
    Free Member

Im 6’2″ and ride an XL 2016 T130S with 50mm stem and 800mm bars, find it a great fit size wise.

Find the front end a bit low hence looking for a stem with higher rise but reach etc is spot on. Have fitted a 170mm Reverb with ease.

ryu1720
    Free Member

@weeksy the 15mm axle on suntour fork’s is called q-loc ,you need to turn that spacer thing a 1\4 turn whilst it’s pushed in that will lock it place so you can remove it from the fork without it catching

weeksy

Ooooh. Thank you.

Do I need to do anything when installing it? Currently I’ve held the end so it tightens then used the lever to close/lock.

Edit, cheers, watched YouTube video

rOcKeTdOg

I’m settled on keeping it. It just feels exactly right

I give it 2 weeks

Kryton57

why didn’t you just add to the other thread you started?

Which one?

#hypocrite 😆

noblakes
    Free Member

Apologies all, I’m 5.11″ with a 31″ inseam..

Yours a 2015 or 2016 one mate? I’m the exact same measurements as you so fingers crossed you’ve got the year of one I’m looking at!

weeksy

Did 40km out on it today, still feels brilliant

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yours a 2015 or 2016 one mate? I’m the exact same measurements as you so fingers crossed you’ve got the year of one I’m looking at!

2017 mate….

Love it.

No idea where you are, but if yer anywhere near Cheshire you’re more than welcome to give it a spin…

weeksy

Yeah that went well! Swinley today. Bike is great round there, jumpy and fast, really easy to pick up the front etc for roots. Great on the way down.
    We didn’t do many dedicated routes, mostly went over the old school swinley stuff, ace fun.

Well either the Whyte is faster, or i am faster… Maybe a combination of both possibly. But my times today were a lot quicker than either the Parkwood or the Kona. So pretty happy with that. I only tried on a couple of sections as mostly me and Crust were fannying about and practicing a few skills, drops, jumps, etc. But i did well on them anyway.

One thing that shocked us was how many Whytes are at Swinley, apparently the Bike Hub hire some, but still, it was almost like every 3rd bike was a Whyte, T130s, T129, etc etc… Everywhere !

Kryton57

Is it racing next week?

weeksy

Good QN mate, if we race, yes I’ll be on it.

We have 3 options currently for Sunday

1. Gorrick
    2. CX
    3. Mallory park on zx6r with mates.

My little lad has been away for the last week, so not discussed yet what he wants to do.

I fancy gorrick though as its been a while since I’ve been this fast, well, fast in my world anyway. Zwift has a lot to answer for

weeksy

Well remarkably I didn’t crash at all and had just a brilliant day. I did 5 runs and then called it quits , Beanie carried on after I’d left and put in 3 more.

I don’t mind telling you now, I was deeply worried about hitting BPW again, literally hitting. Apart from 1 occasion I’d crashed there every time and twice proper spannered myself with broken bones. I’d even go as far as to say it kept me awake last night, so much so I got on the road at 5am despite not setting my alarm until 6.15.

First run was quite tame, nice bits of blue and getting into the swing of things, feeling the tyres moving about in the dew/damp and getting used to how the bike reacts etc. I was unhappy with my camelback as it affects the balance etc of the bike

Then moved onto mostly more of the same with a few reds thrown in for the odd section.

The fact my strava times for Terrys belly which is a 12-14 min trail went down by nearly 2 min over the day massively pleased me. Along with doing a couple of things that slightly freaked me out on the trails also pleased me.

Beanie was awesome and I simply can’t match him for speed or skill, but I enjoyed watching him looking very smooth.

Stopped in the pub on way home for a well earned beer!

I’m a happy boy, it was a fantastic day out and reminds me of why I love riding mountain bikes!

maxtorque

TerrysB into Hotstepper is a great trail route if you want to practice drops btw, with lots of small manageable ones and a few optional bigger ones!

The trick with BPW is deffo to start slow and work up, not start fast and crash whilst your still trying to work out how to ride the place! We were there on Friday and a nasty little cross wind made A470 a little sketchy in places, and just hitting it flat out and letting it fly could have had serious consequences….

weeksy

I didn’t want to risk hotstepper without knowing a bit more. First time I’ve seen it. I’ll watch videos and see when we book a new date.

maxtorque

Hotstepper is fine as long as you do a sighting run first before letting rip. There are a couple of tight rooty shoots down between trees, and a man made rock garden that has 3 lines through it (right line no drop, mid line 3 small steps, left line bigger single drop) and lots of single large rock drop off, probably about 4 to 12″ tall, just about rollable but not elegantly, so better to be sent off for smoothness.

Nothing too serious really!

superstu
    Free Member

Weeksy were you up there today? I went up for the first time. Shame sixtapod was closed but did the blues and most of the reds. Loved A470 and insufficient funds although did feel the latter was a step up over the other reds I did.

weeksy

Yes stu, on the light blue whyte t130

I didn’t brave a470 as to be honest I didn’t quite have the balls for the qualifier into vicious valley. I know its loads easier than it look from certain angles, but I’m sick of being busted up and just wanted to get off there alive ha ha.

I did do wibbly wobbly though and a couple of other reds I forget.

Sixtapod is one of my favourite trails too!

I noticed down the bottom on Norkle there increased the profile on the hills making many more of them a bit more jumpy.

I thought the trails due to erosion and wear are a lot trickier than days gone by. Just a few more rocks, roots etc a bit more exposed.

All that said, it was brilliant!

therag
    Free Member

Perfect day there, considering it’s November too. Thanks for the pass, i managed to ride everything except sixtapod as it was closed, 50 shades as it’s above my level and the full red with a470 on it as I ran off of time with the late start and long dinner break. Slippery in places, especially t.b

weeksy

I thought TB was running great, managed to hack chunks off my times on the later runs, though that was likely down to me getting more confident in the bike/world etc.

My pleasure on the pass… it would have only gone to waste and that’s silly.

maxtorque

The “qualifier” on VV can now be rolled** off, since they build the landing height right up towards the wooden stage you ride off. When they first built it, yes, you had to pop it but now, just ride off it you’ll be fine!

** Well it can on my XL Dune! 😉

weeksy

I know I know!

weeksy

Decided to change things about a little bit. the pedal strikes on the Whyte were a minor issue, so i swapped over the 170mm cranks from the Parkwood to the Whyte. Removed the shifter and gear cabling etc, so it’s now running true 1×10 setup.

It also looks a lot nicer as the chainring is a bit prettier on the dedicated 1×10 Raceface Ride cranks.

I’m still undecided on the Parkwood setup for the cranks, so i’ve currently left both the chainrings on there for now until i decide. Ordinarily i’d feel i don’t need the smaller ring, but i’m debating the SPAM ride in Dec which has a couple of climbs where if i recall correctly i could really do with the smaller ring. So i may leave the small chainring on there for now, fit the shifter and mech for that event and then see where we go from there. The only minor downside is that the Parkwood is now running without a chainguide (but does have a clutch mech) so could potentially drop the chain i guess.

Leku
    Free Member

needs;

weeksy

oh you genius ! Linky 🙂

edit…found it… £15 !!!!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

this ones more, but much better value!

weeksy
    sofabear
    Free Member

weeksy

Beanie was awesome and I simply can’t match him for speed or skill, but I enjoyed watching him looking very smooth.

Think you were watching somebody else ‘cos I wasn’t smooth. I do however appreciate the compliment.

Does anyone know what height the new drops are on Insufficient Funds? First time I’ve done drops of any kind (thanks Jedi!) and am keen to use them as a reference point for some of the stuff in the Surrey Hills.

maxtorque

id say about 18″ to 20″ vetical face, but they are pretty much all on down slopes, so if you pop them to the landings, the drop is probably over 2 foot (ish)

weeksy

Today the chance finally came to whip the bike apart, due to having Gorrick and BPW i didn’t want to risk losing the dropper to warranty until i had an opportune moment. I’ve now not got anything pressing for a few weeks, so pulled the seatpost out.

You’ve then got 2 grub screws that release the mechanism to actuate the cable, whipped that off and squished the post, nothing…. no movement at all. This is good news of course and tells me that the post is capable of staying firm.

I tried to fiddle with the current cable, but IMO it was past it’s best due to the way it has to be bent/wangled to get the stealth post fitted back in the frame. So i grabbed one of my 1.1mm cables that i ordered last week. (all of my other cables are 1.2mm which is apparently too large). Fitted the new cable, set the tension and either using guesswork or pure luck, maybe a slight bit of mechanical knowledge, i have now got a seatpost that no longer has any sag. I guess it was just a tiny tiny bit too tight, so just pushing on the actuator enough that it gives that little bit of sag..

It does return a little slowly now which i may need to tweak a bit, but i can live with the speed if i get rid of the sag.

weeksy

The end of any cable rattle!

Ant+ remote dropper post.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Is that one of the Magura ones? Clever 🙂

I’m lusting after a T130 right now.

weeksy

Yups one of them mate.

Winstanleys have 2015 and 2016s for £1399 £1499.

weeksy

Post works great, happy, downy, super lovely.

As per reviews, there is a slight pause as it activates etc, but that’s ok.

weeksy

Cracking day out on the Whyte today. Went to Afan with Crust. As always on our winter excursions, it was snowy and cold… but a lack of wind meant it was absolutely ACE !

The climb up was at a fairly sedate pace as Crust was struggling after a recent bout of snotty cold. But the trails were running great, despite being a smattering of snow.

On the way down the Whyte was flying along, picking it’s way through the trail with ease… I was carrying speed that at times i was thinking “Jeez mate, slow down, i’m not sure we’re actually in control here” but managed to get down happily. Despite the odd stop to check on my wingman, i still set a fair few Strava PR’s including a couple of sections i didn’t wait on, i was 30s-60s down in time compared to when i went at the end of Dec. Most of this was down to me having someone with me this time, so wasn’t really holding back as much as when i was on my own on Xmas eve 🙂

End of the day we tried the newly taken over Cafe at the Afan visitors center… WOW, it’s a million times better than any other incarnations over the years.. the bacon and sausage was stunning… the cake was great.

Lots of laughs, smiles and good natured banter… Only downside was my nice Pringle shaped front wheel that now needs re-truing, for some reason i must have given it a wallop somewhere on the last section, it’s all over the place now ! Happily, i have another wheel which is ready with a new WTB Vigilante fitted, so that’s now on the bike and we’re good to go again.

weeksy

Over at Biking Andalucia recently i was SO SO impressed with just how much the T-130 flattered me as a rider, it was capable of things i didn’t actually think i could get down, and now thinking back about it, i’m astounded i actually managed some of the trails there i got to the bottom of. More than once over the week i almost crashed massively, but the Whyte wouldn’t let me ! I really can’t think of a better bike for me as a rider once it gets to technical riding !

Since getting back from Spain i’ve had to take the first week off, my legs were just rubbish, really really rubbish, tight, stiff, achey and when i actually did try a ride they simply didn’t work !

After 5 days resting i got back out and managed to start putting in the miles again.

I had to take my standard WTB i25 wheel to my LBS to be re-trued as it was all over the place after Spain… He met me with brutal honesty as always, it’s not the first time i’ve taken this wheel to him and his words were “it’s bent again because it’s a rubbish wheel…. stop messing about and buy a Hope”

So, that was ordered 🙂 In ORANGE to go with my KTM fetish of course.

Picked up the new Hope Pro4 today from Rotec Cycles, the LBS owner persuaded me into a ‘wide rim’ and sheesh, it’s certainly that ! the thing is HUGE, i was almost tempted to fit it to my KTM ! Spent 20 mins taping it up for tubeless and threw a tyre on and a tube for an hour just to seat and bed in the tape, then a quick session with the Airshot, a glug of Stans and it’s up and tubeless. I was possibly slightly disappointed that even with a decent weight Maxxis Crossmark II on there it’s still no lighter than the stock wheel, but arguably i bought it for it’s strength and durability rather than it’s weight. Taking my wheels to be trued after every hard ride was getting silly, so hopefully this will negate that issue.

Plus, it’s pretty 🙂

asbrooks

Weesky I’ve enjoyed reading both this post and the Andalucia post. In fact it was the T30 that sparked my interest in both posts.
    Iv’e been looking at getting one of these for a while now. Held off because I have been nursing an injury and couldn’t justify it to mrs asbrooks.
    Now I’m just about right to get back on the bike. Looking at the sizing, Being 5’10 with 31″ inside leg, I’m right bang in the middle. I currently ride a size 18 inbred with a 60mm stem. I have a 100mm dropper post which is the maximum I can get away with because of the seat tube.
    Wondering how it sizes up, you seem to like the medium. Not wanting to get personal, what are you vital statistics? what’s your height and inside leg length? 😉

weeksy

I’m 6’0 and inside leg is 32″. Apparently mine is too small for me.. It’s certainly a chunk smaller than the Parkwood in an L i also ride, but i don’t know, it just feels right for me. Even in an XC context which i give it plenty of use for. My riding mate has the same bike and is 4″ shorter than me.
    I guess if you look at pics of my post i’m running it quite long, but with a 150mm dropper i wouldn’t want to be any shorter than 5’8 or you’re not going to be able to get the seat low enough at full extension.
    Don’t forget, mine is a 2015 which is different to the more modern ones. But you can still buy the 15 at Winstanleys.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Asbrooks, no idea where in the world you are, but if yer anywhere near Cheshire, you’re welcome to try mine..
    It’s a Large 2017..
    50mm Stem, 780 Renthals.
    Spotty Dog for me at 5.11″

asbrooks

Teetosugars, thanks for the offer. I’m in Leicesteshire. Cheshire is a bit too far for me. Thanks again 🙂

weeksy

May be argued it’s insanity to re-cable the lovely internally routed cabling outside, but on the trails the cable rattle really bugged me !

So after a wait from China, i got the cable guides and pulled out the cables, fitted a new gear inner, a bleed on the brakes along with a new Olive as i wouldn’t have been able to get all the olive/bolt through the frame.

Fairly simple job all round really. It looks like most other bikes, so yes it’s not as nice, but it’s far from terrible.

I look forward to testing it out soon

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YYdKuY]2017-10-12_10-01-02[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YYdJn7]2017-10-12_10-00-49[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘NEWWWWWBLLLUUEEEEE bike thread. Whyte T130SX’ is closed to new replies.