Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Newbieee post! RE: Cube LTD SL & Converting to 1 x 10 (:roll:)
  • dsb181
    Free Member

Hi everyone!
    Please be kind, first post after lurking for a while! I expect that the regulars on here are sick of such questions but I’m a complete novice and would really appreciate some help with this one!

I own a 2012 Cube LTD SL and I’m keen to run it 1 x 10 rather than 3 x 10 as standard.
    At the moment it has 42,32 & 24 but I’d like a single 34 or 36 chainring.

I use the bike for a 10 mile daily commute on a byway & road plus local blasts on single track roads & bridal ways, unfortunately there isn’t a great deal of trails or such around here (Banburyshire) & next to no hills.
    I’m finding that I’m only really using the middle 32t chainring hence my desire to change to a single but could do with a 34/36 to keep speed at the low end on the road section on my commute.

I’m curious to know if the E13 XCX guide would fit onto my bike and how simple it would be to get everything lined up so I could make full use of the 10 gears on the rear without any/too much rubbing of the chain on the guide. I understand that it’s fixed on by the bottom bracket cup and replaces one of the spacers?

Also could somebody suggest a couple of chainrings that would be suitable, I’m assuming I can only use a Shimano branded one as the rest of my drivetrain is Shimano. I’m not sure if I should be looking for a single specific one or a middle outer one would work.

Could I still use the same chain and drop a couple of links to tighten things up? Also would power links in my chain be alright to use?

The parts on my bike now are..
    Shimano Hollowtech 2 BB
    Shimano Deore XT RD-M780 Shadow 10-speed rear Derailleur
    10 speed 11-32 rear cassette

I’m just looking for a tried and tested set up that will work without any problems and neaten & quieten everything up.

I’d like to know if anybody has done this on the same bike & which chainring & guide combination worked?

Bit of an essay but hope somebody can point me in the right direction!

Thanks

dsb181
    Free Member

Anybody….?

tmb467
    Free Member

It’s a well answered question and its probably being ignored as its been answered before

But as a relative newbie to this forum myself ill try and help

Chain guide will fit on seat tube, any 32-34 tooth ring will work but better to go with a single speed one than a shimano as you won’t be shifting and therefore you won’t need the shifting grooves.

Chain in big ring at the back thru derailleur and adjust chain so mech is about 45degrees. Mebbe two links out from what you have?? Don’t go too short if you’re planning to fit a 36 tooth rear cassette or change to a larger front ring. Try it with the ring you have and see how it works.

dsb181
    Free Member

Thank you for your reply tmb.
    I wasn’t aware of your tip on shifting groves so thanks again for that.
    Am I right in thinking that the chain device won’t fit my bb then and I’ll need a seat tube mounted one?

tmb467
    Free Member

Don’t know – if you have a Bb mounted one then you might just need to remove a spacer and fit it on the Bb

Should have instructions – sorry I can’t help more!!

dsb181
    Free Member

Thanks again.
    Would you know if I just need a standard 104mm chainring? That should just bolt onto the middle/outside holes on the crank spider and i’ll be away?

garage-dweller

BB mounted guides can be a faff depending on design (madison one on my bike is a pain to set up).

Can I ask though why you want to go 1×10? For the riding you have described I would stick.with the triple.

I run 1×8 on one of my bikes in the winter as it is more filth proof but come summer the triple is likely to return.

Unless you are going to run a bash ring then you will need some short chain ring bolts.

If you are having to ask all this you might consider getting the lbs to set it up for you as you will need £30+ of special tools plus allen keys (you will need a chain splitter tool, ht2 bb spanner and tool for chainring bolts in particular).

garage-dweller

Chainrings.
    104bcd should be right and fit in position of middle ring for best chain line
    You dont need shimano rings – but you will need to make sure it is a 10spd ring

munrobiker
    Free Member

BB mounted ones are much cheaper. There is more initial faff but it will work fine once done. I run an e13 one and it’s great.

As above though, for your riding I’d not bother changing, certainly not until your chainrings are worn out and they need replacing anyway.

matt1986
    Free Member

I think superstar have a seat post chain guide at a decent price. As has been said any chain ring will do as longs as the bsd is right, renthal do some nice light hard wearing chain rings. Also set up is pretty easy, if you don’t fancy doing it take it to your lbs will only take them 20 -30 mins to fit one via the bottom bracket. But if your looking to do a bit of DIY on the bike yourself the tools you’ll need to buy to do the job your self are worth it as you’ll use them a fair bit.

dsb181
    Free Member

Hey thanks again for all of your advice.
    I already have all of the tools I need, I brought the cheapo tool set from the on-one website which actually is okay. I’m confident with maintenance and have removed and serviced most components on the bike already, I just wasn’t sure about specific component sizes & fitment ect because my bike is still stock set up.

I think now I will wait until my chain set actually needs replacing.
    I was just keen on the idea because I’m only ever on the 32 chainring and get fed up of the chain slap and rubbing on the front mech, guess I should try to use the other 2 more.

Thanks alot for your suggestions tho, at least I know how for the future, sorry for sounding like a broken record!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Newbieee post! RE: Cube LTD SL & Converting to 1 x 10 (:roll:)’ is closed to new replies.