Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Newbie question about full sus frames
  • traceline
    Free Member

Hi there – you chaps seem to know what you’re on about – thought I’d pick your brains a little if you don’t mind.

Currently have a GT avalanche 2.0 – nothing amazing – originally bought as a train station bike – so it’s ok.

Am currently planning an “up snowdon” trip for next year – and it occurred to me that I could start a restoration project to build up a full susser for the jaunt.

Really not looking for anything even remotely dramatic – it’s more about the project, learning about bike building, and then the reward of getting up and down (even if it’s just for 1 time only) – also spreading the cost out would be nice (so the missus doesn’t go up in flames when I drop a few hundred on my 3rd bike – “do you really need that??!?!” *sigh*)

So – I was looking on ebay for frames as a starting point – there seems to be the odd marin vision on there – really looking at spending as little as possible – certainly no more than £150 on the frame (inc rear shock would be nice… even if it needs servicing). However – there’s LOADS of other options on there – all with varying prices… v.difficult to pick out “mrs right”.

Any thoughts? Comments v.much appreciated!

thanks!!

Andy

Wozza
    Free Member

Hi Andy,

I had a quick look on ebay and the only Marin MVs I could find at that price are pretty ancient. I had an East Peak from that era and although the suspension was a nice feature back then it, thinking about it now it was a bit polar… IE none or all of you travel gone in one big lump. At that age you’ll have to strip it right down and it’ll just become an expensive headache.

I had a quick think and thought that maybe an older Kona full suss might be an idea. They’re built pretty well and some of them have more recent fox shoxs so you should be able to get parts if needed. The down side is that you’ll have to spend a bit more but make a few savings elsewhere to offset the cost… think Deore not SLX and you’ll be on your way to a cheap full suss that you can use more than once. Oh and they’re not gonna be lightweights but then you can work on that later.

Here’s a few links:

Dawg

Coil Air

Dawg

Another Dawg

traceline
    Free Member

Hey Wozza – many thanks for the reply – I was starting to think in that “maybe am trying to do this TOO much on the cheap…” direction – you’ve confirmed it – thanks!

Very much like the look of that coilAir – it’s the right size and everything 🙂

Do you think it would be worth while me posting a “wanted” ad on here? (or am I shopping in a champagne store with a beer budget?)

Thanks again! Great advice…

Andy

traceline
    Free Member

Ok – “wanted” ad posted – hopefully some nice fella out there has a frame that needs a new home and will take pity on me 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-frame-with-rear-shock-19

traceline
    Free Member

Right – managed to source a frame with various bits and bobs for the princely sum of £57 (ebay!) – the project can move forward.

Many thanks for the replies!

Andy

Rickos
    Free Member

What did you get?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Carnt go wrong with an old kona as a cheap first full sus. One of the lads we ride with bought one brand new, rode for about 3 years and sold it to somebody we had got into biking. He rode it as his only bike for another 3 years as his only bike. North Wales trail centre most weekends, trips to Scotland and a week in the Alps (and has been down snowdon) as well as mid week rides. He wasn’t the best at looking after it either. He has since upgraded it about 2 years ago, but still uses it in the week and his lad uses it when he comes back from Uni.

Good luck with the build 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Newbie question about full sus frames’ is closed to new replies.