Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Newbie 29er questions
  • mafiafish
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a second hand on one race 29er and am currently deciding on how to spec it. 29er rebas are the obvious fork choice but I’m not sure what to do about wheels and drivetrain. I’m coming from a trek remedy that’s done up for ‘everything’ i.e. xc and enduro racing, long days in Scotland and Calderdale “winch and plummet” sessions. I run 1×10 now which is fine, but having a bb92 bb what are my options? If not, shoudl I just go 2×9 or is 2x 10 a lot better in terms of q factor, shifting etc?
    As for wheel choice, I’m torn between picking up some second hand rovals or getting the superstar 29 crests (and giving them a once over after the first pootle) will these be reasonably durable? Could they take anything a black trail or rocky lakes route can throw at you? (ridden with consideration, I’ve got the remedy for being silly).
    I’m signed up for the trans nepal at Chrimbo so want something decently light but reliable (that’s a new one!). Also, will it be fine to do small jumps, drops etc on the bike? Thinking it would be ideal for the weekender!

weeksy

Also, will it be fine to do small jumps, drops etc on the bike? Thinking it would be ideal for the weekender!

Yup,

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/29-action-shots-783695.html

monkeyboyjc

Doesnt bb92 just means your running a press fit bb?
    in which case it makes no difference what gearing you use – i have found that 32/22front rings with a 10 speed 11-36 cassette is a little under geared (1st gear was supid slow up the hills) and 28/44 works a bit better for me.
    would have though the superstar 29 crests would be fine….

mafiafish
    Free Member

Cheers for the response. The bb92 question was more about chainguide compatibility as I can’t run ISCG or BB mount and wouldn’t know about this seat tube or direct mount business.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 29er wheels you may be interested, they are the stock wheels off my cube reaction gtc pro. xt hubs on alex rims.

monkeyboyjc

mmm, yeah if your going 1×10(or9) you’ll need a seat tube mounted guide, super star do a reasonable one. Personaly i dont think you’ll need one going 2×10 as the front mech does alot of the work (i’ve not had a chain of yet this year) – but you could use a chainstay mounted guide like the bionicon, or alternatively wait a month or so for shimano’s new clutch rear mechs or Sram’s knucklebox version.

mafiafish
    Free Member

aye I think I’ll go 2×10 with 26/39ish or whatever is close to that. I think 32 x 11-36 will leave me lacking at the top end on a racey 29er and I wouldn’t want to go 34×36 if I’m using it for big days out/ multi day races.

shinsplints

No ! You can’t jump off anything on a 29er 😉

bowglie

As far as wheels go, IME, it depends on your weight. I’m around the 90 to 92kg mark in full riding kit, and found Crest 29er rims quite flexy on rocky natural routes. The wheels in question had DT Rev spokes and build quality/spoke tension was good. In fairness they were fine on trail centre stuff like Dalby and 7 Stanes, it was on natural stuff around Edale and Hayfield (Peak) that they felt wibbly and vague. Also know other folk who are in 70 to 75kg weight range and they don’t have any probs with Crest wheels at all.

Gearing wise, I run 2×10 on my FS 29er and think it’s the way to go for general all-round trail use. Can’t recall exact set-up without looking, but think it’s 38/22 front with 36t max on rear.

HTH

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Newbie 29er questions’ is closed to new replies.