Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • New Years Honours….
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

WOW so they did the job they were paid to do

I’m with JY on this. It’s their job, they got told what to do and paid to do it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So volunteers only then. Ok…..

monkeychild
    Free Member

So volunteers only then. Ok…..

Yeah 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY I went to Oxford, my parents are not rich, I got there on merit from a state school. The person who is surrounded by whooshing air is yourself. You are correct in that you don’t know how many ordinary people are professors and work with government, if you actually took the time to look you’d find it was the vast majority. You are are also quite frankly showing a quite extra ordinary level of bitterness and jealously. Why don’t you watch Julienne’s interview I posted above.

No I didn’t hear anything about the aftermath of the referendum, TBH after 2 years of it I am bored to tears. It was a decisive No. It’s over just like we debated endlessly on the various threads.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why if they were educated at Oxbridge but then went on to volunteer. Shall we disqualify them? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

More ordinary folk – see some of the jobs they do – landing helicopters is my favourite
    Still hope for the IT folk on here as well – just get an ordinary job with Liz
    😉
    Sir David Geoffrey Manning, GCMG, CVO. Adviser to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales.
    Timothy John Edward Baron Tollemache. Formerly Lord-Lieutenant of Suffolk.
    Commander (CVO)
    Mrs Mary Selina The Honourable Bayliss. Lord-Lieutenant of Berkshire.
    Sir David William Brewer, CMG, JP. Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London.
    Michael Patrick Day. Chief executive Historic Royal Palaces.
    Anthony James Longmore Worth. Lord-Lieutenant of Lincolnshire.
    Lieutenant (LVO)
    Mrs Joy-Maria Camm. Assistant private secretary to The Duchess of Cornwall.
    Dr Martin David Clayton, MVO. Head of Prints and Drawings, Royal Library, Windsor Castle.
    Nicholas John Wingfield Digby. Veterinary Surgeon to the Royal Studs.
    Miss Stephanie Gail Greengross. Director Strategic Communications, Business in the Community.
    Roger Francis Tollemache Halliday, MVO. Formerly Land Steward, Western District, Duchy of Cornwall.
    Jonathan David Hellewell. Formerly assistant private secretary to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.
    The Reverend Canon Denis Ratliffe Mulliner. Chaplain Chapel Royal, Hampton Court Palace.
    William James Nye. Principal private secretary to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.
    Miss Catherine Teresa O’Donnell, MVO. Formerly Nursing Sister, Buckingham Palace.
    Miss Louise Mary Tait. Communications secretary for Scotland Royal Household.
    Member (MVO)
    Miss Catherine Mary Bland. Personal assistant to the Deputy private secretary to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.
    Miss Nicola Christine Brentnall. Director The Queen’s Trust.
    Jon Allison Brewer. Paintings Conservator Royal Collection Trust.
    Michael John Brown. Volunteer Awards Assessor The Prince’s Trust.
    Mrs Deborah Clare Clarke. Senior Curator, Palace of Holyroodhouse.
    Inspector Clive Graham Cox. Metropolitan Police. For services to Royalty Protection.
    Paul Coxon. Operations Surveyor Royal Household.
    Eric Kenneth James Crawford. Building and Civil Engineering Works Supervisor Royal Household.
    Miss Laura Jane Gibson. Head of Digital Engagement for Royal Communications Royal Household.
    Kenrick Steven Hanson. Systems Development Officer Royal Household.
    Daniel James Harvey, RVM. Senior Engineer, Sandringham Estate.
    Mrs Susan Elizabeth Jubb. Senior Receptionist, Clarence House.
    Mrs Laura Claire France Kellard. Senior IT Training and Development Officer, Royal Household.
    Inspector Terence Christopher Leach. Metropolitan Police. Forservices to Royalty Protection.
    Mark Geoffrey Lisk, RVM. Household of The Duke of York.
    Mrs Susan Mary Pendry. Formerly Administrator, St. George’s House, Windsor Castle.
    Christopher Thomas Perkins. Formerly Landing Site Officer The Queen’s Helicopter Flight.
    Dr Edward William Perkins. Formerly Communications secretary to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales.
    Michael Dudley de Burgh Collins Persse. For services to The Prince of Wales.
    Douglas Hastings Precey. Formerly head of Secretariat private secretary’s Office Royal Household.
    Miss Mary Squire. Lieutenancy Clerk Mid-Glamorgan.
    Andrew Michael Tibble. Operations and Logistics manager Household of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.
    Miss Bernadette Tomas. Senior Management Accountant Royal Household.
    Peter Barry Whorton, RVM. Deputy Yeoman of the Plate Pantry, Windsor Castle.
    Miss Annwen Lloyd Williams. Senior Administrator Aberdyfi Centre, Outward Bound Trust.
    ROYAL VICTORIAN MEDAL (RVM)
    Andrew John Brown. Forestry Foreman Sandringham Estate.
    Lance Sgt Stephen Centro Cassidy. Formerly Household of The Duke of Kent.
    Colin Alfred Childs. Formerly Electrician Royal Household.
    Peter Thomas Charles Clayton. Head Gamekeeper Crown Estate, Windsor.
    David Thomas Evans. Carriage Restorer/Cleaner Royal Mews.
    David Charles Lambourn. Office and Travelling Yeoman Household of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.
    Jose Manuel Lazarczuk. Groundsman Crown Estate, Windsor.
    Thomas Arnold Watt. Palace Attendant Palace of Holyroodhouse.
    Mrs Jennifer Denise Whiter. Senior Housekeeping assistant, Windsor Castle.

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY – I covered this earlier – its the Queens New Years Honours, so she recognises those who have worked for and served her. The vast majority of those people will be from very “ordinary” backgrounds

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not saying that the Honours system is anywhere near perfect, but there are times when having a large chip on each shoulder makes them appear to function as blinkers 🙄

monkeychild
    Free Member

It is a load of old out dated twoddle (like most of the pomp and nonsense our country delights in).

fasthaggis

It is a load of old out dated twoddle (like most of the pomp and nonsense our country delights in)

An STW ‘Thread of the year’ awards is what’s needed 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

JY I went to Oxford, my parents are not rich, I got there on merit from a state school.

WOW that is the most amazing thing I will read today.
    The point was what % are from private and what from state and its clearly disproportionate – I am not sure how you missed it as it was what i said.
    They also get lower degree results than state educated folk with similar exam results ans state educated pupils with lower results get higher degrees than privately educated pupils with better a levels results

Do you want the research that shows this?

You are correct in that you don’t know how many ordinary people are professors and work with government, if you actually took the time to look you’d find it was the vast majority.

That not quite what i said now is it 🙄 and whoosh again. However you have persuaded me with that evidence based approach and overwhelming use of statistics and reasoning. Thanks

You are are also quite frankly showing a quite extra ordinary level of bitterness and jealously.

Can I have an award for that then ?

To return to my first post they are great idea and many many deserving cases exist where as a society we should applaud individuals for there extra ordinary contribution to the country its just we dont tend to do this with the honours.
    I have no idea re your frined and have made no comment directly on her award.

Why if they were educated at Oxbridge but then went on to volunteer. Shall we disqualify them?

Bit trolly – do you want to discuss the issue or just mock?

The vast majority of those people will be from very “ordinary” backgrounds

You stating your opinion without evidence does not make it a fact.
    As i said we can debate what “ordinary” means or we can just make claims without defining the term and without any evidence.

El-bent
    Free Member

JY I went to Oxford

Conclusive proof you don’t need brains to get there.

You stating your opinion without evidence does not make it a fact.

He has an opinion? I thought that was his problem, He posts an awful lot of empty spaces.

Still funny so many “little people” still worship this archaic honours system.

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure many of us are worshipping it, most of us struggle to get so wound up about it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

News Home
    More from Local News
    Wednesday, December 31st 2014 08:00

The Royal County does well in the annual list of notables – with recognition for a wide range of individuals

Reading University Met-rologist, Professor Ian Mark Mills gets his British Empire medal for services to chemistry and measuring.

He’s joined by a Slough foster carer – Mrs Shahnaz Akhtar gets one for her services to children and families.

The mum of three’s worked in the field for more than twenty years, caring for kids with conditions varying between Down’s Syndrome and Autism.

Hmmm…

Among others, Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust’s Chief Executive Andrew Morris adds a Knights Bachelor to his already existing OBE.

Here’s a more comprehensive run-down of the lucky recipients:

ROYAL VICTORIAN ORDER

Peter Thomas Charles Clayton. Head Gamekeeper Crown Estate, Windsor.

Jose Manuel Lazarczuk. Groundsman Crown Estate, Windsor.

Mrs Jennifer Denise Whiter. Senior Housekeeping assistant, Windsor Castle.

BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL

Mrs Angela Jean Money. Neighbourhood Watch Volunteer. For services to Policing and Community Safety in Newbury and Thatcham, Berkshire. (Newbury, Berkshire)

John Charles Williams. For services to the community in Hungerford Berkshire.

ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

Winston Anthony McDowell. Bank Staff Nurse Broadmoor Hospital, West London Mental Health NHS Trust. For services to Mental Health. (Crowthorne, Berkshire)

Dr Patrick Alfred Morris. Volunteer National Trust. For services to the Natural and Historic Environment. (Ascot, Berkshire)

Andrew Edward Panter, DL. For services to charity and to the community in Berkshire. (Egham, Surrey)

John Maurice Arthur Jenkins. President and Chair SportsAble. For services to Disability Sport. (Reading, Berkshire)

Abdul Razaq Khan. Foster Carer Slough. For services to Children and Families. (Slough, Berkshire)

Dr Robert Anthony Day. Chief Technology Officer Jisc Technologies and Executive director, Janet. For services to Information Technology. (Newbury, Berkshire)

Mrs Jasmine Alexis Flatters. Athletics Volunteer. For services to Triathlon (Thatcham, Berkshire) – and good egg from personal experience!!!!

Mrs Susan Flohr. Manager, British Dyslexia Association National Helpline and Policy, Berkshire. For services to Dyslexic People. (Maidenhead, Berkshire)

Mrs Shahnaz Akhtar. Foster Carer, Slough. For services to Children and Families. (Slough, Berkshire)

Mrs Margaret Aldwin. Founding Member and Trustee, Ichthyosis Support Group. For services to People with Genetic Disorders and their Families. (Reading, Berkshire)

Mrs Jane Susan Gates. Chief executive, Sebastian’s Actions Trust. For services to Seriously Ill Children and their Families in the South East. (Berkshire)

Mrs Kate Dethridge. Principal, Churchend Primary School, Reading and National Leader of Education. For services to Education. (Hampstead Norreys, Berkshire)

Shocking isn’t it? Congrats to them too….

El-bent
    Free Member

Not sure many of us are worshipping it, most of us struggle to get so wound up about it.

Yet here you are on this thread.

MoreCashThanDash

And we are back to the old “everything on the internet must be black and white” argument.

I’m on the thread because a couple of people I know have honours. I have a passing interest in the subject, I have expressed some fairly middle of the road opinions about it. Which seems to send some on here frothing at the mouth, for reasons that I don’t understand. Which seems to annoy them even more.

It’s a funny old world sometimes.

El-bent
    Free Member

You only need to look at what some of the people close to those in power are getting awarded for.

As awards they are pretty meaningless in reality, but as status symbol to some…I can see why a few here like them, and would like one.

Also, MBE, OBE, CBE? The falklands, Gibraltar, Ascension, a few other islands in the North and South Atlantic, and some place in the Indian ocean that we rent to the septics, is hardly an empire.

Time to move it on, how about a new awards system based solely on merit and not favour?

kimbers

The headline stuff is more about electioneering than awarding any srvices to comedy as for the Camerons giving one to their hairdresser…… !?!

People like jambys mate certainly deserve recognition, but i suspect that for every award handed out to deserving folk 1000s go unrecognized
    Hand out a few certificates if you like but at the same time nurses are locked in a bitter battle over a 1% pay rise
    It seems like smoke and mirrors to distract from the imbalances in our society

Besides, they gave a knighthood to this shit, despite it seems police, government advisors, BBC colleagues and most of the press knowing he was a paedo

thestabiliser
    Free Member

STOP EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE – WHY? JIMMY SAVILLE THAT’S WHY!

It’s all a bit daft but for every mealy mouthed sycophant and city lap dog there’s someone whose devoted their life’s works to others directly or via their profession so it’s not all bad. Other states have similar systems for recognising citizens, so it’s not some weird outlier. It needs a dose of looking at but I can’t bring myself to get too excited. Maybe de-couple the military and royal household stuff. Do them onn her Maj’s birthday and civilians on the new years list, that kind of thing?

Re the ropal/imperial gubbins I think for the deserving that just makes it a bit special and unique, whereas the carweer climbers obviously see it as a status thing So i say keep it just stop giving gongs to twonks.

kimbers

I could’ve gone with

benji
    Free Member

I’m hoping someone can tell me what an ordinary person is, and hopefully whilst they are at can they also define normal.

Be interested to know how many of those mocking the list/honours system are in favour of abolishing the monarchy.

Just for the information, I am a graduate but not from Oxbridge, spin spanners for a living and look after my disabled mother, do I need/want an honour? Am I ordinary enough?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Kimbers – You’ve got me there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@benji I think we can agree it’s neither ordinary nor normal to waste hours and hours posting on an internet forum about bikes or not about bikes as in this case.

benji
    Free Member

@jambalaya that merely avoids the question, go on define ordinary or normal. Whilst we are at what is abnormal about using an internet forum?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Here’s a more comprehensive run-down of the lucky recipients:….Shocking isn’t it?

Its not is a highly selective for you to try to prove your point
    for example
    the full list just for one from your list unedited- you cheery picked your candidates Why ?

ROYAL VICTORIAN ORDER

DCVO

Mrs Elizabeth Shan Josephine The Honourable Legge-Bourke, LVO. Lord-Lieutenant of Powys.

KCVO

Nicholas James Alexander The Earl of Caledon. Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh.

Sir David Geoffrey Manning, GCMG, CVO. Adviser to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales.

Timothy John Edward Baron Tollemache. Formerly Lord-Lieutenant of Suffolk.

CVO

Mrs Mary Selina The Honourable Bayliss. Lord-Lieutenant of Berkshire.

Sir David William Brewer, CMG, JP. Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London.

Michael Patrick Day. Chief executive Historic Royal Palaces.

Anthony James Longmore Worth. Lord-Lieutenant of Lincolnshire.

LVO

Mrs Joy-Maria Camm. Assistant private secretary to The Duchess of Cornwall.

Dr Martin David Clayton, MVO. Head of Prints and Drawings, Royal Library, Windsor Castle.

Nicholas John Wingfield Digby. Veterinary Surgeon to the Royal Studs.

Miss Stephanie Gail Greengross. Director Strategic Communications, Business in the Community.

Roger Francis Tollemache Halliday, MVO. Formerly Land Steward, Western District, Duchy of Cornwall.

Jonathan David Hellewell. Formerly assistant private secretary to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

The Reverend Canon Denis Ratliffe Mulliner. Chaplain Chapel Royal, Hampton Court Palace.

William James Nye. Principal private secretary to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

Miss Catherine Teresa O’Donnell, MVO. Formerly Nursing Sister, Buckingham Palace.

Miss Louise Mary Tait. Communications secretary for Scotland Royal Household.

MVO

Miss Catherine Mary Bland. Personal assistant to the Deputy private secretary to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

Miss Nicola Christine Brentnall. Director The Queen’s Trust.

Jon Allison Brewer. Paintings Conservator Royal Collection Trust.

Michael John Brown. Volunteer Awards Assessor The Prince’s Trust.

Mrs Deborah Clare Clarke. Senior Curator, Palace of Holyroodhouse.

Inspector Clive Graham Cox. Metropolitan Police. For services to Royalty Protection.

Paul Coxon. Operations Surveyor Royal Household.

Eric Kenneth James Crawford. Building and Civil Engineering Works Supervisor Royal Household.

Miss Laura Jane Gibson. Head of Digital Engagement for Royal Communications Royal Household.

Kenrick Steven Hanson. Systems Development Officer Royal Household.

Daniel James Harvey, RVM. Senior Engineer, Sandringham Estate.

Mrs Susan Elizabeth Jubb. Senior Receptionist, Clarence House.

Mrs Laura Claire France Kellard. Senior IT Training and Development Officer, Royal Household.

Inspector Terence Christopher Leach. Metropolitan Police. Forservices to Royalty Protection.

Mark Geoffrey Lisk, RVM. Household of The Duke of York.

Mrs Susan Mary Pendry. Formerly Administrator, St. George’s House, Windsor Castle.

Christopher Thomas Perkins. Formerly Landing Site Officer The Queen’s Helicopter Flight.

Dr Edward William Perkins. Formerly Communications secretary to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales.

Michael Dudley de Burgh Collins Persse. For services to The Prince of Wales.

Douglas Hastings Precey. Formerly head of Secretariat private secretary’s Office Royal Household.

Miss Mary Squire. Lieutenancy Clerk Mid-Glamorgan.

Andrew Michael Tibble. Operations and Logistics manager Household of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

Miss Bernadette Tomas. Senior Management Accountant Royal Household.

Peter Barry Whorton, RVM. Deputy Yeoman of the Plate Pantry, Windsor Castle.

Miss Annwen Lloyd Williams. Senior Administrator Aberdyfi Centre, Outward Bound Trust.

No one disagrees that honouring dolk in principle is a good thing
    No one disputes that some “ordinary” folk are rewarded
    No one disputes that some deserving get them
    The issue is about whether they are weighted towards the famous, those with political and royal patronage, the influential, the powerful and the establishment

What would surprise me is you addressing that point directly

Junkyard
    Free Member

Be interested to know how many of those mocking the list/honours system are in favour of abolishing the monarchy.

I am a republican FWIW. I dont dislike the principle of an Honours system I dislike the method that it is implemented and who it chooses.

Its clearly disproportionately weighted and not just merit based
    Head of Civil service always gets knighted as an example.
    Interesting to see how many with honours got further honours as well
    Lord ashdown for example-Order of the Companions of Honour – for what exactly?

jambalaya
    Free Member

benji, everyone is going to have their own definition. I’d consider myself to pretty normal but would expect some would disagree.

JY getting a Knighthood for rising to the top of the civil service seems pretty fair to me. Joining the civil service is a job I suspect would have been open to you, then its a case of working your way up. Seems reasonable for people to move up the honours scale as such. As I understand it to be made Companion of Honour you need to be a Knight/Dame first. I don’t follow Ashdown’s career that closely but he does a lot of work internationally and on trying to mediate peace agreements. As for being famous, isn’t it more the case that by being successful at something you are more likely to be more in the public eye and thus famous ?

el-bent clearly Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and UCL are full of people with no brains, that must be one of the criteria for ranking them as the top in the world. Plus all those idiots at MIT and Harvard too eh ?

El-bent
    Free Member

el-bent clearly Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and UCL are full of people with no brains, that must be one of the criteria for ranking them as the top in the world. Plus all those idiots at MIT and Harvard too eh ?

Where did I say that Jamb? I was merely commenting on their discrimination policy.

Speaking of which, if this bloke can get an honour, so can you.

chrismac

I would like to introduce a simple rule that states you can’t get an award for anything that you were paid to do, or made money from. Nearly all the people listed I this thread are getting their honour for doing their job! Why? They should be for doing something special or that is for the benefit of others for which they received no money.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chrismac – a very large number of people in the list received an honour for charity work or for making substantial donations to charity, all optional. My friend is a professor, that’s her day job as such but she works tirelessly on projects to help the elderly including charities, this is voluntary and unpaid. Many honours are given out for people doing their jobs, but doing them exceptionally well, in sports terms think about Wiggins – it’s his job to ride s bike but to with the TdF and multiple Olympoc medals – that’s exceptional. The honours list has always included entertainers, they make a contribution to the nation in a different way, I can’t think of anything worse than having to listen to Cliff Richard but there are millions who would and have been doing so for 40 years.

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY I’m not trying to impress anyone with my statement about Oxford just trying to address your generalisation about rich parents. We’ve doscussed the Oxbridge and public/private school stuff at length on other threads.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Changed my opinion of James Corden of late. Everyone fell out with him when he was milking the smithy character too much and that awful sketch show and terrible lesbian vampire thing… However I think he embraced the criticism and has calmed down a bit. He was on Jonathon Ross recently and came across great, taking the piss out of Boris! Also he is fantastic in the film Begin Again!

Never OBE material tho…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He talked crap about helmets on that show though.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘New Years Honours….’ is closed to new replies.