Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Wheels – is it worth going the extra for Pro 2 and Stans?
  • chillidave
    Free Member

For various reasons I’m in the market for a new set of ‘all mountain’ (for want of a better word) wheels. I’m around 90kg with gear, like to ride up down, some jumps (badly) and drops but nothing too big.

I’ve narrowed it down to a set of superstar switch hubs with their AM rims, On One’s max wheelset or goign the extra for a set of Merlin built (they seem the cheapest) Hope Pro 2s with either Stans Arch or Flows.

I can’t decide if it’s worth going the extra, at over £120, for the Pro2s. I’m also not sure if white rims will soon be come a bike asthetics crime in years to come!

Cheers

muppet4
    Free Member

i have been running pro2 on ztr 355’s for nearly 2 years and have been very pleased with them. the only downside is they do mark a little bit more than mavics but i would def have another set.
    i come in at 90kg too and had no problems – only trued the back once and they have been used in the peaks on hardtail!

mine weigh 1650grams too.as for the hopes they have been faultless and have only needed one bearing in the freehub!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

even riding all through the winter my pro2s are faultless after about a year of use. The rims are also amazing. You should be able to get the hope built set for around 260 quid if you look.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Pro 2’s just keep going. Mine have seen plenty of mud and shite and never falter. I think they are four years old now and the bearing are smooth as a babies.

nicko74

£120 is a lot of coin though, so I guess it depends how pimpy you want your wheels.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you see this as an investment to last a long time? or as a new set of wheels to be replaced in a year or two. I have some pro 11s and hope never to buy new hubs again.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I’ve got Pro 2/ZTR Flow in the front.

They Flow’s are classed as downhill rims.

This meant the wheel did not even go out of alignment when I smacked into a concrete traffic barrier hard enough the bend the front fork 😯 🙄

Wish I got them in white now. 😐

What colour’s ya bike?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Despite weighing only 10st, I have managed to make quite a mess of my Flows – plenty dings and ripped out 6 spokes. They stayed pretty true though, and I can seat various tubeless tyres no problem despite some very convincing dings. I should probably have stayed with my big Ex 325s as I’m very hard on rims 😯

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks guys, this is some great advice and a pretty ringing endorsement for Pro 2s. It would be interesting to hear some experiences with the on one wheels, I suppose knowing the forum they can’t be too bad otherwise there’d be a fair few more threads moaning about them, unless of course no one has any!

The set they’re replace (Hope XC/Bulb on 321s) I’ve had for about 6 years now and have served me very well. But I need a bolt through set for my jumpy hardtail bike and it would be nice to shed some weight. I’d certainly hope to get similar lifespan from the next set.

My bike is silver frame and fork with black and red components here and there, not really any white. I fear I’ve reached a new cycling low in veing worried about rim colour.

Would Arch rims be a good middle ground? Shame they’re not available as ready made hoops, is there anywhere doing custom made ones for under £300?

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I don’t think think Arch rims are much cheaper, although they are lighter and I wouldn’t use these for jumping.

/edit/

You are are talking about 26″ wheels? If so, Mavic might have something of interest.

stevede
    Free Member

As an alternative to the Flows have you considered Mavic EN521’s? I’ve given a set some serious abuse for over a year now and they are just in the lbs for there first true and a spoke to be replaced in the rear – as much emphasis should be placed on the sourcing of a quality wheel builder as the rims themselves imo.

chillidave
    Free Member

It’s always ahrd to know just what piece of kit can handle what, I thought the Arch might be a happy balance between the Crest and the Flow.

Yes definitely thinking 26″ here, which Mavic might fit the bill?

muppet4
    Free Member

Try this link to rutland water for builds
    good service and prices

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/31739/Hope-Hoops-Pro-2-Evo-Wheels-w–Red-Hubs.html

stevomcd
    Free Member

Flows are really pretty light for “burly” rims, I’d just go for them if you’re unsure.

I’ve got one or two minor dings in mine and the build on the front wheel wasn’t great (came very loose, very quickly!) but since I’ve sorted that, they’ve been pretty good (6 weeks of Alpine riding and counting!).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Wheels – is it worth going the extra for Pro 2 and Stans?’ is closed to new replies.