Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New road bike: Genesis Zero 4 vs Giant TCR Advanced 1 vs Cannondale Super Six
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I’m in the hunt for a new road bike and I’m considering these these:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/race/zero-4

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.1/19191/77280/

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/road/elite-road/supersix-evo/supersix-evo-force-racing-edition

I’m going to test ride all but wondered if anyone on here has experience of any?

Although they come in (full RRP) at very different price points, in the sales they are very similar priced, especially if I get a wheel upgrade on the Giant (LBS is offering a pair of 50mm carbon wheels with it for £300)

Thoughts and experiences appreciated

I’m erring on the side of the Genesis at the moment just because it’s a current pro issue frame, I like the colour and I haven’t seen many of the about – so nothing to do with how it rides as I’ve not established that yet! – yes, yes, I know this is ridiculous, but just being honest!!

chakaping
    Free Member

As a happy Giant road bike owner I’d say that the Genesis is by far the best looker out of those three.

If it’s a close thing in your mind I’d go with the one that comes from the shop you get on best with.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A test ride will probably tell you **** all, it’s only really after you’ve spent a bit of time on a bike getting your fit dialled in that how it rides becomes apparent.

Don’t think the fact that one of them is a “pro issue” frame really matters.

The Genesis does look good though; Giants usually look quite boring, and the colour of the Cannondale is a shocker.

The head tubes look quite long on the Genesis?

I’d probably go for the Giant; safe bet. Dunno what the wheels are like on the Cannondale or the Genesis? Plus the Cannondale looks a bit shit.

velocipede
    Free Member

Yes, the sizing on the Genesis is a bit strange – the head tube is relatively tall and the top tubes are long – I’m normally a medium and like a roughly 55cm top tube – that’s a small in the Genesis. The medium has a 56.5cm top tube, small is 54.5

@davidtaylforth – I think most people must hate the look of the Cannondale – it’s discounted by 35% in most dealers!! – it’s a good spec though and probably the lightest of the three

Rorschach
    Free Member

Cannondale have had a lot of issues with lower tier evo frames.Also Force is nowhere as good as Ultegra.
    I had a TCR Advanced Sl 5-6 years ago…..it’s the same shape as the one you’ve linked (mine was ISP though).New frame shape for 2016.
    I like the Genesis.
    THe ‘pro issue’ frame is a non starter and tbh I suspect you’d get more out of a Defy/Synapse/Datum.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

THe ‘pro issue’ frame is a non starter and tbh I suspect you’d get more out of a Defy/Synapse/Datum.

Curious, why? Sounds like you’ve just automatically assumed he’s going to be a MAMIL.

Zero sizing is weird in that they call a small is probably a medium in most ranges and there’s a healthy bit of extra head tube length on the frames bigger than small.

Both Giant and Genesis have new frames out this year, TCR is a lot sexier and lighter, Zero is lighter and with better paint jobs (IMO).

IHN

None of them are going to be rubbish, so which one, when it’s in your garage, will you look at and think “I want to ride that” most? Buy that one.

FWIW, I was skirting round buying the Genesis, it’s a great looking bike, but then I saw the Ritchey Road Logic and fell in love…

mattsccm
    Free Member

I would go with the group set that you like as well as feel. Personally I am not keen on the way Shimano works. That’s me.

will
    Free Member

That Giant seems cheap.

I’ve got a TCR Advanced from 2014, I love it, stiffest bike i’ve ever ridden, very quick, looks nice and very reliable. It’s light too. So i’d go with the Giant.

The only issue I had were the wheels. I snapped 4 spokes in the rear (never snapped a spoke before) and giant agreed to replace with a set of Ultegras under warranty. A brilliant upgrade.

velocipede
    Free Member

That Giant seems cheap

The prices I’m looking at:

Giant £1499 reduced to £1199 (then upgrade wheels to fancy carbon 50mm takes it back to £1499)

Genesis £2,000 reduced to £1399

Cannondale £2199 reduced to £1499

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got a TCR and love it. New one looks great too. Though I’d be having a good look at the Propel now for the sort of riding I do. Maybe a bit of a boring safe choice but as a tool for fast riding and racing that’s also all day rideable you really can’t go wrong if the fit is right (and there is a limited choice of stem for fit due to overdrive steerer so pay careful attention to stack height as you won’t get more of a drop than 10 degrees from the stem.)

Do like the look of the Zero too. For me it’d be between those two.

Here’s a photo of mine 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Deffo Giant

Rockplough
    Free Member

Of those three I’d take the Supersix.

– The Hollowgram SI crankset is a belter, much lighter and stiffer than Ultegra and won’t look silly with any aftermarket rings you might put on it. There’s a reason they’re nearly triple the cost of Ultegra off the shelf.

– The wheelset, on paper at least looks superior. 1550g vs 1650 on the Genesis and 1900(!) on the Giant. Happy to be corrected on this. I haven’t ridden the FSAs.

Granted it’s marginally the least attractive (looks better in the flesh) of the three, and has a SRAM group which isn’t my personal preference but you get used to these things.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 the giant at those prices

Especially if it’s your LBS

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

If you’re interested in Cannondale bikes have a look on Paul’s Cycles, i bought a Super Six Evo Red last year reduced from £3.5 to £2.0, they’re even cheaper this year £1.7K.

It’s my first road bike so not got a lot to compare it with but really happy with it and the reviews are great.

Mines a different colour though went for black and red

Cheers

Nick

thegreatape
    Free Member

I believe there may be an unused road bike in the classifieds.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Needs quite a bit of work though according to the seller.

thegreatape
    Free Member

True. And has been ridden in some questionable locations.

plus-one

All lovely bikes excusing paint job on the cannondale 🙂

I’m a giant man and love the stealth(boring) looks …

I see genesis print weight is that not a bit lardy ? Pedals will push it close to 19lbs 😯 maybe it’s the wheels it’s the usual culprit 🙂

Get the Tcr with bling wheels 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

How comfy is the TCR? A lot of reviews say it’s an out and out race bike and a little tiring over a distance. I would fancy a Defy but the disc only option puts me off.

I do fancy a Genesis but I am unsure of the sizing. The small is very low at the front so I think I’d need a medium but that might be a fraction large. I need to throw a leg over one to get an idea.

rusty20
    Free Member

Another +1 for the giant. I have the TCR Advanced 1 and love it. Great spec, fast and lightweight. Upgraded the wheels recently and made it even better. Have done plenty of long rides on it and don’t find comfort an issue

irelanst
    Free Member

I test rode a Super Six and a TCR and bought the Super Six. The Giant felt dead in comparison, of course it could have been wheels, tyres or any combination of things that I could have tweaked but the Cannondale seemed right for me out of the box.

eshershore
    Free Member

@irelanst

Got to say I agree.

However the 2016 TCR is a new beast altogether and very impressive

TiRed

I’m a dreadful Giant fanboi. That said, the Genesis is the nicest colour, but remind me how much experience Genesis have in developing carbon road bikes? This from a company whose USP was that we race steel…

If the store are offering you Giant PSLR-aero wheels for an extra £300, I’d bite their hand off for the TCR. It is a great bike and the wheels are fantastic – DT hubs. I like Cannodales too, and have one of their alloy bikes, but think when it comes to carbon, you just can’t beat a Giant (world’s largest OEM carbon frame manufacturer).

I have a Defy Advanced SL and a Propel Advanced SL. And a (broken) Propel Advanced. There is nothing to separate the Advanced from the Advanced SL frames other than half a water bottle’s worth of weight and an ISP kudos.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How comfy is the TCR? A lot of reviews say it’s an out and out race bike and a little tiring over a distance. I would fancy a Defy but the disc only option puts me off.

Ride it all day on some alloy clinchers with 25mm tyres. Not as comfy when it’s got some 50mm race wheels with 23mm tubs. Wheels and tyre choice do make quite a difference.

eshershore
    Free Member

This is the new generation (2106) TCR that I tested in the pouring rain in July at Hogg Hill

Incredibly good bike, and I’ve ridden a lot of much more expensive road bikes

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think the old one looks better 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Quick, someone murder out that chainset

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Needs it; would look better with the new Campag stuff on it. Think I prefer mrblobby’s – best road bike on the forum

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks 8)

Quite a few lovely road bikes on some other threads though. howarth’s 695 from this thread comes to mind…

I’d be a bit worried about riding that at a local crit though, and I’d feel awfully conspicuous on a club run too 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s not bad; your’s just has a good road bike aesthetic 😉

velocipede
    Free Member

Right – purchase made – went and had a test ride on the Genesis – and bought one!!

Will arrive early next week (they only had the lower spec model in my size in stock in the shop)….looking forward to a play on it before it gets hung up for the winter!

😀

Rockplough
    Free Member

695s are lovely but white spokes give me nightmares.

ceepers

I have a genesis zero, the 0.1 frame built up with 11 speed 105 and shimano RS 81 wheels. I came from a caad 8 with the same wheels and groupset. The genesis is lovely. It’s lighter, It feels fast when you stand on the pedals, it definitely feels smoother on our devon lanes. Strava says it climbs faster than the caad and descending it feels solid and confidence inspiring. I’ve not ridden the other two but I thought my caad was a good bike, the zero is definitely better!

ceepers

velocipede
    Free Member

@ceepers – looks nice and I bet it’s light with those wheels

Mine arrives on thursday – looking forward to it!

ceepers

Yep it’s light and fast! You will love it I’m sure!!

I live on the edge of exmoor so there’s plenty of climbing hereabouts. It’s been great for that!

velocipede
    Free Member

out of interest – what size is yours and how did it measure up against your Caad? I was surprised that I fit the medium better in the shop, when I expected to be on a small – I normally ride a 55/56cm frame – Cheers 😀

ceepers

51 caad, size small genesis. Same stem and seat post / saddle position. Genesis felt very comfy from the off but is definitely a slightly more racey position. I’m 5’6 and a bit

Andyhilton
    Free Member

We’ve a medium in stock and on sale…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New road bike: Genesis Zero 4 vs Giant TCR Advanced 1 vs Cannondale Super Six’ is closed to new replies.