Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New Revs – am I missing something?
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Took delivery yesterday of some shiny new RS Revs – RLT TI Dual position air 2011 model. I’ve only had a chance for a very quick unpack, but on a brief inspection there is no valve at the bottom of the LH fork leg for the -ve air chamber. There is no set up guide with the forks, and nothing I can find on the web.

Am I being thick, or have I been sold some OEM forks that are not the full monty?

sssimon
    Free Member

dual position are solo air not dual air

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

dual position are solo air not dual air

OK, thanks for that. So on the dual air, there is a -ve chamber which like my old Pikes takes care of stiction and small bump sensitivity.

If the dual position air doesn’t have a -ve chamber how are these adjustments dialled in or out? Understood my old Pikes perfectly, but RS seem to assume that everybody acquires the fork tuning by Venusian mind meld or something as I can’t find a setup guide anywhere

glenh
    Free Member

The negative chamber is set automatically, I imagine, like most air shocks.

Shackleton

-ve and +ve air are set at the same time using the top valve and always run at identical pressure. I have these same forks and was a bit concerned that I couldn’t fiddle with the neg air but the damping is so much better compared to my old pikes that it is a non-issue.

Hope that helps. If you want to set each independently you need the dual air not dual position. And sadly the two are mutually exclusive.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d be asking whoever sold them to you to give you a manual, or at least a hyperlink to one on the web

bellerophon
    Free Member

My friends revs came withoput manual, I’m sure we found it on the web, just can’t remember where… 😳

this_wreckage
    Free Member

AFAIK all the rev’s documentation is here

this_wreckage
    Free Member

Page 6 on the 2008 manual (first in list) has info on solo air, rebound etc.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

-ve and +ve air are set at the same time using the top valve and always run at identical pressure. I have these same forks and was a bit concerned that I couldn’t fiddle with the neg air but the damping is so much better compared to my old pikes that it is a non-issue.

That’s good to know

I’d be asking whoever sold them to you to give you a manual, or at least a hyperlink to one on the web

Bought them from the On One website who are doing incredibly good deals. Fully boxed with pump, decals etc but the enclosed manual has no setup info whatsoever, and does not tell you where to find any. Absolutely unbelievable that a very adjustable product nominally selling for about £600 has no proper user manual. RS compeltely taking the piss. Grrrrrr

AFAIK all the rev’s documentation is here

Thanks for the link. I found that as well, but it’s just an electronic version of the totally rubbish manual that came in the box

thejesmonddingo

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/2011-Revelation-Technical-Manual.pdf
    This may help,I got the same crap handbook with my Revs.
    Ian

Rickos
    Free Member

Is dual position the new name for 2 step then?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

thejesmondinggo – thanks for that. It does contain a lot more useful information.

Even this manual doesn’t contain any setup information which is so totally taking the piss. I’m perfectly comfortable with setup as I’ve run Pikes for a few years, but somebody coming new to forks like this would have no clue at all, especially if they have dual air. There is literally nothing to tell you how to set the two chambers and all the other stuff up – even my Pike manual had a page on it.

And I still don’t understand how the dual position air can just do away with the negative chamber without having some impact on adjustability.

thejesmonddingo

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=183213&highlight=reba+tuning
    The above thread,with 445 posts,shows how complicated we can make tuning these forks( the Reba dual air is essentially an identical system to the Revs) If you can be bothered to read them all,you may be grate ful that they have reduced the adjustability.
    Ian

markyboy
    Free Member

if you bought them from on one they are probably oem.im having probs with some 32s i bought from them.mojo wont warranty them!!

LoCo
    Free Member

O.E items warranty is with the supplier i.e on one in you case if they’re supplied on their own as they should be supplied on a bike.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

O.E items warranty is with the supplier i.e on one in you case if they’re supplied on their own as they should be supplied on a bike.

Hmm, somewhat worrying but they were £170 less than buying through the normal dealer network, so just couldn’t ignore that. There is nothing saying they are for OEM only, so under the sale of goods act surely RS would have to warranty them in the normal way?

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a set of the Dual position Revelations sat in the shopping basket. Does the Dual air version of these forks offer more controlled damping?

Vortexracing

I have some and they are not OEM as far as i am concerned. They came with pump stickers and all the other gubbins, so i am assuming they have the full 2yr fisher warranty.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There is nothing saying they are for OEM only, so under the sale of goods act surely RS would have to warranty them in the normal way?

the vendor not the manufacturer is liable under the sale of goods act. Any manufacturers warranty (if you have one) is above and beyond the legal redress you have with the supplier, but most shops hide behind “oh its out of warranty” and pretend they have no obligation.

So if your OE RS forks are dud, its up to the shop (On One or whoever) to sort it out, and whether they get any support from RS is a matter for them and irrelevant for you.

shindiggy
    Free Member

So are the Dual Air forks more reliable or perform better than the dual position forks?

nuke

So are the Dual Air forks more reliable or perform better than the dual position forks?

As to the reliability of dual position, early days I’d say…dual position only came out on 2011 forks. Time will tell but may not pay to be an early adopter (Fair few people have had problems with 2-step). RS dual air forks have always been known as being pretty reliable though.

As someone who always uses travel adjust forks, I’d like to give the dual position a try. Not overly fussed about losing the ability to tune the negative chamber…I would think most people set the negative the same as the positive anyway or within a few psi of each other.

Northwind

Rickos – Member

Is dual position the new name for 2 step then?

it’s not exactly the same thing but does the same job. Just as well really, I was lucky enough to be in the unintentional lyrik live beta 🙄

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The dual air may be new, but isn’t it a kind of quick version of the old u-turn which has been on RS shocks for years, or is it a completely different mechanism.

I would like to report on how the new forks feel, but can’t yet because I’m still waiting for the brake adaptor to arrive. New forks are post mount vs IS on the old Pikes.

Anybody on here any comment on getting the star fangled nut in straight as per the other thread I started. Do I really need some proper kit or have to wheel it along to the LBS?

easygirl

The on one forks are not oem,it clearly states on the site they not oem they are 2011 and have full warranty with distributor
    Pity other sellers can’t come close to on one deals

Northwind

CaptainMainwaring – Member

Anybody on here any comment on getting the star fangled nut in straight as per the other thread I started. Do I really need some proper kit or have to wheel it along to the LBS?

Have you got any really long M6 bolts? Or a bit of M6 threaded bar? DIY tool option- either one of those works, threaded bar is easiest. Thread the SFN onto the bolt/bar but with the bolt sticking out the bottom . Thread a washer onto the bar at the bottom end so that it fits into the steerer and stops the bar from rattling around- that’ll keep the whole thing straight. Then, tap in. Dead easy, total cost even if you have to buy new stuff is about £2.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The on one forks are not oem,it clearly states on the site they not oem they are 2011 and have full warranty with distributor

I didn’t see that on the site, but when I phoned them, the guy said they were OEM, so some confusion there. They did though come properly boxed with manual, pump, decals SFN etc so certainly look non-OEM

Northwind, thanks. Top tip – I’ll try that

Northwind

Glad it was comprehensible, it’s dead easy to do but a total bugger to describe :mrgreen:

easygirl – Member

The on one forks are not oem,it clearly states on the site they not oem

Rule one of the On One site, take everything on it with a pinch of salt. It’s not that they’re dishonest mind, just that the details are quite often wrong (they’re still advertising 160mm Revelations frinstance)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New Revs – am I missing something?’ is closed to new replies.