Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • New neighbours renovating – is this inconsiderate?
  • Woody
    Free Member

New neighbours started renovating a couple of weeks ago. Nice young couple, who had the decency to come round and introduce themselves and let us know that there was going to be some noise and they would need access via our back garden. Not a problem as it’s in the deeds but I did ask then to give us a knock to let us know so we could get the dogs in the house.

A couple of weeks later when the main work started, unannounced, I heard a commotion in the back garden and went out to find a scaffolder, white faced in the back garden pinned against the fence by three very ‘defensive’ dogs. He knocked after that 😉

Other than that they appear to have removed and rebuilt every internal wall and the noise has been huge but have restricted it to 0800-2000 Monday to Saturday, which I think is entirely reasonable. As has been pointed out above, the sooner the work is completed, the sooner peace is restored!

Edit: in answer to the OP – 0735 is a bit early but ok on a Saturday IMO, if they do it tomorrow I wouldn’t be happy!

zokes
    Free Member

Am I the only one to be impressed that yunki has deduced that the OP is a xenophobe from his question?

Anyway, fwiw, the OP is being a tad unreasonable if it’s wound him up enough to rant about it on here. That said, I’m sure most people would be initially slightly grumpy if woken up earlier than they were planning on any day.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Some people seem to have forgotten two things that are obviously of no concern to them.
    Respect & manners.

konabunny
    Free Member

You’re being a bit harsh on the OP, he was only asking a question.

dannyh
    Free Member

Some people seem to have forgotten two things that are obviously of no concern to them.
    Respect & manners.

Ahhhhhh. A voice of reason.

derek_starship
    Free Member

08:40 this morning.

They’ve still not knocked on and said anything.

I’ve lived here for 21 years and am not using power tools early in the morning.
    They should make the move. I’m not being petty about it. I’m just researching
    their character and attitude.

To date, I’m disappointed.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ahhhhhh. A voice of reason.

That’s me all over. Seems to be a rare attribute on this site.
    If I was the noisy neighbour I’d be knocking on the OP’s door & saying ‘Hi, wev’e just moved in & are stuck for time to get this job sorted so we WILL be making a bit of a racket over the next few days. Me & the Mrs both work shifts & Bank Holidays don’t count. Sorry for any inconvenience & we’ll be as quick as possible’
    But that’s just me. 😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Those that think this is acceptable , what time do you consider unacceptable ? Or do you think that literally any time is OK . I’m totally in agreement with the OP , some sort of contact and dialogue should have been initiated by the new neighbour but to just crack on and do it is downright rude IMO .

thestabiliser
    Free Member

OP when ypure done with the rightepus indignation go and talk to them unless of course youre just enjoying the opportunity to whinge. which it sounds like. None of us have to spend the next 10-20 years living next door to them – you do.

abbot
    Free Member

What you need to do is wire up a couple of mains smoke alarms that are set to go off constantly then go away on holiday without leaving any contact details. Another STWer can tell you how bad that is.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thestabiliser. Righteous indignation?

Not really.

I’d just like to know when I’m going to be woken up.
    Then I’d know what time to go to bed.
    I’m flexible if the communication is sound.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘New neighbours renovating – is this inconsiderate?’ is closed to new replies.