Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New lid time… opinions sought
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Long story short, left my lid in a car park 🙄

Giro Xen, i was perfectly happy with it, first helmet where that has been true, as such I have not even thought about new helmet since i got it three and bit years ago. I’m very much inclined to just get one again but thought i should consider options since i’m forking out, prefer to stick to Giro as they seem to be a good match for my head. Any one had a Xen and a Xar? much difference? likewise for a Hex, which people have told me is actually cooler (i have a sweaty sweaty head) and comes with PL 5 (assuming that much of a gain).

Max Max price 100. Other models you think i really should consider? All thought welcome. Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hex longer/narrower head shape than Xen IME.

z1ppy

I’m looking into this currently (again), and am a Xen owner (2nd one), add the Giro feature to your list.

though I also want to look @ Fox flux & Striker, Specialized Tactic & Vice, & a closer look at the Urge Enduro-o-matic but think that simply going to be too hot.

julianwilson
    Free Member

many half price giro helmets at On-one at the moment. I got an Athlon last week for £50 and it’s well nice.

thepurist

I went from a Hex to a Fox Striker – the Fox is noticeably cooler & channels the sweat off to the sides of my forehead whereas the Hex had a gap in the middle of the brow padding which a small stream would pour from any time I looked down. (Sweating is the one thing I do well on a bike).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

First up, go to a shop and try them on.

However, I’ve nothing but praise for my Uvex XP100. Great coverage, VERY light and astoundingly good value.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ooh I like the look of that Uvex. My current helmet is an Uvex and it’s been grand.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Bandito, considering that, but i know I’m not going to buy from a shop and feel a little wrong wasting their time, and also, that won’t tell me about the sweat poor issue. I also have an old athlon (i think) that poors sweat into my eyes when i look up. say, just before a technical climb or feature… Friend has the fox flux, he doesn’t find it to be too cool. And the Feature looks pretty warm for me, but I’ve never met anyone with one.

I’ll have a look at on–one in the mean time… cheers for thoughts so far 🙂

foofighter
    Free Member

I had a Hex for a few years, very good. I recently got a Cratoni Titan. Much cooler temp wise than the Hex and nice styling – got mine from CRC. Seen some good reviews on the Giro Feature as well.

soobalias
    Free Member

had a uvex for longer that i probably should, like it lots, probably replace like for like assuming the xp100 is still around

should point out that it didnt prevent me breaking several bones or getting hit by a car.

rwc03
    Free Member

Kask, best helmet by a mile. Not many places stock them unfortunately, but it is one size fits all.

RealMan
    Free Member

Helmets are pretty expendable, so you might as well get one from a company that has a crash replacement system and will give you like 60% off the next one, and so on and so on. For this reason, and also cause they’re really nice, I stick to specialized.

neilforrow

Kask do very nice lids… sponser the sky team this year… the adjuster thing on the back is way better than the slidy one on my s-works lid.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Realman, i did, but what they don’t offer is a “left in the car park and drove away” replacement… which is a shame.

tang
    Free Member

i got a 1/2 price xar from onone, nice.

MadPierre

I’m a Specialized fan. Currently got an s-works top end thing and a Vice.

The Vice is very well vented – seems cooler than the posher one?

Always use their crash replacement policy: you don’t have to crash! The helmet can just be old and they will give you a discount on a new one.

jedi

look at the mavic lid. i been using one for months now and also the kali range too 🙂

z1ppy

Helmets are pretty expendable, so you might as well get one from a company that has a crash replacement system and will give you like 60% off the next one

only against retail value, and being as the majority of mail order places sell them for much much less than retail (as per On-one 50% off), this matters how?

Anyway you given Jimmy a refund yet?

Coyote
    Free Member

Had Giro in the past (Havoc, Xen) but just got a Kali Chakra. Fantastic fit and doesn’t make my head look like a mushroom. Seem to be well ventilated too!

Much cheapness @ £40. Recommended.

EDIT: Oh look RealConMan’s back!

shortcut

I have gone from a Xen to a Xar, I also have a Hec and a Spesh S3.

The Xar is a good replacement for the Xen. The Hex doesnt do it for me. Xar is a good fit and cooler than either the Hex or the Xen.

S3 is very cool (well vented) and nice for racing, long rides and the road!

RealMan
    Free Member

Realman, i did, but what they don’t offer is a “left in the car park and drove away” replacement… which is a shame.

Yeah, that’s a good point lol. Seen a few people mentioning Kask lids, a few people I know have them, and they look awesome. Dunno if they do a mtb specific one though.

EDIT: Oh look RealConMan’s back!

I never left.

Anyway you given Jimmy a refund yet?

Despite numerous offers he won’t accept one. Up until this point I was still pretty prepared to refund him, but all this questioning of whether or not I’ve refunded him is getting pretty tiring, so I’m gonna go with what quite a few people have been telling me to do for a while now, and state that he’s not getting a refund. Not that it’s any of your business, or that I even have the faintest clue who you are, but I hope that answers your question sufficiently.

z1ppy

wasn’t a question, your an idiot of the highest order and this need repeating constantly, so that you don’t have the chance to take anyone else in 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

Despite numerous offers he won’t accept one.

£10 to keep quiet? 😀

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

RealScam – maHOOsive Member
    I never left.

Yeah, but your post count dropped for a bit.

Not that it’s any of your business…

:mrgreen:

hunta

I’ve got a bit of a pinhead, and everything I’ve tried so far looks huge (even if the inner is snug). Any recommendations for a helmet that won’t make me look like I’m sporting a giant plastic bird’s nest?

teamslug
    Free Member

i got a vice from evans in castleford. Said £80 on shelf…£35.00 at till…nice fit too..can tell the extra weight compared my bell esp on a long ride..

MarkiMark
    Free Member

I have a Xen and a new Feature. Xen is cooler but Feature looks better. Both fit about same.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rwc03 – Member

Kask, best helmet by a mile. Not many places stock them unfortunately, but it is one size fits all.

If its one size fits all then it is not teh best helmet unless you have a big head.

The key thing with a helmet is its fit – not the fit of the webbing / cradle to your head but the fit of the poly shell to your head. One size fits all are proven to be less effective for small and medium heads. A helmet that comes in multiple shell sizes is better for most

To the OP – fit is all – you shouldn’t be able to get a finger between your head and the shell at any point. Try helmets on for real in a shop and buy from them.

A diagramme on here and an explanation of one effect there are other ill effects as well from poor fitting helmets
    http://www.whycycle.co.uk/safety_and_security/cycling_helmets/

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Always had Xen’s but recently swapped to a Fox Flux. Flux is far more comfortable, wish I’d swapped years ago.

As mentioned above try a few on, they all feel so different.

I also tried a POC Trabec but I never felt as comfortable as the Flux.

fairhurst
    Free Member

i now have a met parachute for superb all round dutys and safety.

honourablegeorge

+1 for the half price Xar from On-One, replaced an ancient Hex, is miles better, and I’s guess it cost me less.

honourablegeorge

rwc03 – Member

20% off them currently at Swinnerton Cycles, according to an email I got not long ago.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Bought a 661 Recon here a few months back. It fits nicely and I like the aesthetics of it. Recommended.

z1ppy

Well I’ve managed to try all of them on my list above “Giro Xar, feature and hex, Bell Variant, Fox flux & Striker, Specialized Tactic & Vice, & the Urge Enduro-o-matic”, and am in the position where I will be replacing my current helmet with another of the same, my 3rd of this model actually….. it was nice to try them all and confirm none of them felt (or looked better on my bonce) than my current Giro Xen.

alex222
    Free Member

giro xen 2011 49.99 on planet x web site. job is good

Nonsense
    Free Member

I found the Xar to be a totally different fit to the Xen. The Feature looks really good and seemed a similar fit to the Xen. I’ve currently got one of the Uvex mentioned earlier and it’s been brilliant.

z1ppy

I found the Xar to be a totally different fit to the Xen

+1 or I would have gone for the Xar (wanted one!).

makkag
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45389

Met Kaos Soft touch over half price off .. i love mine

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

i now have a met parachute for superb all round dutys and safety.

A very responsible answer and a fantastic all mountain all round helmet! I feel invincible while wearing it.
    Shame giro or any of the other big company’s haven’t followed this trend! Practical as well as a great downhill looking helmet. Thumbs up here.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New lid time… opinions sought’ is closed to new replies.