Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New laptop – decent-ish or not?
  • aP
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new laptop for use both at home & for work stuff inc. standard office stuff + some microstation (in extremis).
    I’ve had a vague thought about One of these. Any thoughts as to where else to go?
    I had a Samsung X10 from 2001 to 2007 which was good and will also look at Samsung again.

woody2000

I’ve used these guys recently – http://www.it247.com

Got an HP DV7 for £492, it’s worth just checking them every now and then for clearouts.

HP Dv7

catnash
    Free Member

Just bought the comet i3 5742, can’t fault it, (379.00). Then top it with Acer advantage £99 for 3 years accidental breakage warranty. It’s a much better built machine than my old 5920.

spacemonkey

Worth checking out Ebuyer too. Usually very good pricing and decent people on the end of the phone too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dell, every time!

sunchaser
    Free Member

Sony Vaio here – great apart from that stupid bar thing that keeps popping up at the top of the screen 😡

takisawa2

Acer dont seem to be built that well. My sisters looks totally kanackered after less than a year. Support & warranty poor.
    Dell would be my choice.

spacemonkey

Dell? YMBFJ? Four letter word in my world.

When they work they can be great … but when they don’t, the support is amongst the worst I’ve ever known. And I speak from 12 years in the trade.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

stupid bar thing that keeps popping up at the top of the screen

???

but when they don’t, the support is amongst the worst I’ve ever known.

Really?? Their support is the main reason i’d buy Dell. My machine went wrong in the UK 2 days before a meeting in Gibraltar. They couldn’t get to me in time, so the Gibraltarian side took care of it for me on my UK warranty, even though my International warranty was out

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Acer have improved and that I3 deal is awesome.

Dell are as plasticy as anything.

When things go wrong Sony are a nightmare, they won’t sell parts without doing the repair and either way the parts are pretty much double the competition.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i once sent a sony for repair, the screen was knacked, but it worked fine with an external screen. They insisted that the Hard Disc needed replacing, would not replace the screen otherwise. Talking out their hats!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Lenovo. Well made, reliable and some good deals around (Ebuyer usually)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New laptop – decent-ish or not?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM