Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New jacket? Just go for Rab VR?
  • bearGrease

My trusty, old Patagonia Zephyr jacket really is done for now and won’t do the business this winter. Should I just buy a Rab VR Ridgeline jacket? Any alternatives worth considering?

BadlyWiredDog

I really like VR, but bear in mind that the outer fabric isn’t fully windproof. This makes more breathable, which is great if youn run hot, but means it can be a little chilly in proper cold, cutting winds and you may need to layer a shell over it in some conditions.

On a tight budget, the Alpkit Morpohosis does as similar job, but is zoned, so some areas have no insulation. If you want windproof outer fabric, Marmot DriClime maybe. But VR’s pretty good, I half live in my old VR Alpine on the bike and for walking, scrambling etc. Can’t think of anything better, unless it’s cool, in which case Polartec Alpha Direct is kind of awesome.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    susepic

Or the montane featherlight……

matt_outandabout

The Montane Krypton is closer to the VR or Patagonia jacket OP has/is considering.

No experience of it al all though.

https://mountain-kit.co.uk/samples-c12/men-c13/softshell-fleece-c46/montane-mens-krypton-jacket-aw21-sample-p1139

SimonR

I really like the vapour rise stuff – got a VR Alpine which I use for biking and seems to work well in a huge range of conditions just by layering differently. A base layer and a light-ish mid layer work well for proper cold winter days. Equally I’ve used it on mild an wet days with just a short sleeve layer underneath. There’s a very light soft touch liner that feels ok next to skin and also adds a bit of warmth just compared to a shell.

Also got a VR summit jacket buts that’s more insulated – great for waking on cold days but might be a bit warm for biking.

bearGrease

Thanks for the input. The Montane Krypton looks like a nice jacket but I suspect it will be too warm for me. I sweat like a nun at penguin shoot so I think the Rab will be the one for me.

matt_outandabout

I agree the (new) Krypton looks too warm.

My old, original Krypton was like the VR light jackets – and was an utterly brilliant bit of kit. Sadly staff uniform I had to return.

b33k34

What about the RAB Borealis? Anyone had one? slightly heavier than the VR but not much, single layer soft-shell, no hood and only £55 here.
    https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-softshell-c95/softshell-jackets-c218/borealis-tour-softshell-jacket-p11630

how long do Rab sleeves come up? I’m ape like

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New jacket? Just go for Rab VR?’ is closed to new replies.