Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New Full Suss Bike
  • hainman
    Free Member

im shopping for a new full suss bike,im upgrading from my rockrider 9.1 as it’ll be my 40th soon so im treating myself.
    my budget will be around the 1.5k range so i have a few to look at,i had initialy thought about buying something like a trek fuel ex8 but couldnt justify spending over 2k
    what im wondering is what bike would be the better value for money.
    canyon nerve xc 7.0
    canyon nerve am 6.0
    boardman pro fs

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you in a hurry? If not, you’ll probably see the 2012 bikes discounted soon and you might pick up an EX8 cheaper than normal.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers chakaping,not in any hurry,just looking for some input and thought better ask someone who knows instead of just buying for the sake of buying.chances are it will be my last bike and want one that is up there kit wise and capability too,and one i wont want to start tinkering with after a month(chances are i’ll still want to)

steezysix
    Free Member

YT Wicked 150 – I’ve got one (last year’s) and love it!

joelm76
    Free Member

how close is the YT to a Lapierre?

j40aja
    Free Member

I’ve just had my Canyon Nerve XC8.0 delivered this week and it’s a great looking bike and the kit is fantastic for the money.

1st proper ride this weekend at Glentress so will know better by Sunday what it’s like on the trails but feels good around the car park!!

Service and communication from Canyon were excellent so don’t be put off buy buying direct (Cullen at their UK office is very helpful and quick at replying to e-mails).

matt22
    Free Member

I own a fuel ex 9 I love it but your right its a fair whack to pay for a bike, My mates are getting into the sport and there budgets are the same as yours, so I’ve been looking at bikes with the best kit for that price, my preferance is for it to have Fox suspension,

I think the Canyons are great and also noticed the Cube AMS 130 29er and 26 inch are well specced with Fox forks and kit

Hope my waffle helps

steezysix
    Free Member

how close is the YT to a Lapierre?

Well, the paintjob is different, and err… That’s about it.
    Oh, and it’s much cheaper! 🙂

I was lusting after a Zesty, but at the time could only afford the most basic model – whereas the YT gave me a much better spec. Not being able to test ride one felt like a bit of a risk, but I’m glad I took the plunge!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

YT 150 = Lapierre Zesty

YT 160 = Lapierre Spicy

YT 170 = Lapierre Froggy

My guess is they are the exact same frame, good spec for the £

joelm76
    Free Member

cheers guys, good info about the YT’s – seem pretty good all round. Only just noticed this brand, will have to investigate further.

somouk
    Free Member

Looking at the geo they’re not exactly the same frame but there is only a few mm here and there difference!

I’d certainly consider one!

steezysix
    Free Member

For sure, different frames but not by much! Both use same suspension layout so very similar ride. YT seem to favour Rockshox and Lapierre spec Fox, if you have a preference one way or the other. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend YT, had mine since last year and I’m super happy with it.

timc
    Free Member

id be looking at the discounted giants (trance) if i was you

Holyzeus
    Free Member
    bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Problem solved – Fuel EX8 is £1840 with 20% discount at Primera Sports!!

hainman
    Free Member

cheers guys…i looked at the giants and must say i like the look of them too.the spec looks good and not much differant from the canyons….loads to think about,but all good 😀

HermanShake
    Free Member

I had a Trance X2, the Maestro system is amazing and the attention to detail is great. Very recommended!

Google (shopping) the model and 2011/2010 depending on what you mind and you’re after.

Here’s the 2011 X3 at Paul’s for £1429.99 with a tapered Fox F125, SLX drivetrain etc: LINK

The nerve looks like a Maestro-ish suspension linkage, why not get the real deal? Oh, and I wouldn’t consider a Boardman.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Like Matt22 I own an EX9 – its a great ride. Don’t know where you’re based but I got mine from the Dales Bike Centre I demoed the 8 before I bought – Stu’s 2012 demo bikes are now up for sale at a fair discount – might be worth a look if you are not too far away.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

The GT Sensor 2 2010 looks terrific value to me.There bikes also tend to be bombproof

crftom
    Free Member

Kona how about this ????

matt1986
    Free Member

A possibilty could be jamis dakar xct race good spec looking at one myself not sure how they ride but the geomertray seems good. Also if your you can push a little more cash look at the norco sight 3se good spec for the money

stratman
    Free Member

I have an anthem x and i love it. The frames are the same from x4 to x1, so upgrading is poss later. I guess that the trances are the same.

athgray
    Free Member

I got a Canyon AM6 a couple of months ago and think it’s great. Was swithering between that and a Wicked 150 which also seems like a great bike for the money.

deviant
    Free Member

Some leftfield choices:

Massive spec for £1200, Voodoo.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786853_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#tab2

More expensive but still great spec for £1500, Saracen.
    Southern Downhill/Ride It Out had this bike on long term test and couldnt break it!

http://www.realcycles.com/m1b148s1p2625/2011_SARACEN_Ariel_3_2011/RS_GB/5944

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Craig, you looked at those YT Industries bikes?
    I was set on a Trance for my 40th, but after looking at those, not so sure now.

hainman
    Free Member

damn i thought i had this down to a couple,now not so sure,they YT bikes look pretty sweet too.
    not going to be as easy as i thought…..think its a case of eenie meenie miney mo….well not quite but they are all pretty nice lokking bikes with bang on spec….

andy1973
    Free Member

Hi hainman,

I’ve had my Canyon Nerve AM8 for 9 months now and it hasn’t missed a beat. The only thing I’d chip in is to think about the riding you do. If it’s mostly XC / trail centre stuff but not too knarly, go for the Nerve XC. If you’re riding takes in bigger hits, go for the AM8. Either way, if your budget will stretch, get the Reverb upgrade – you WON’T regret it and at that price you could always sell it on and make a bit of cash!

Happy pondering…

poly
    Free Member

Hainman,

The reviews I read of the Boardman Pro v’d team made me conclude it wasn’t really worth the extra £500 this year. When I compared the team to the £1200 canyon’s I concluded the Boardman was slightly better specced. So £1000 on the boardman team and keep the change?

{EDIT – Like all STW views, I have of course never ridden the other bikes, and not even seen the canyons in the flesh]

j40aja
    Free Member

Halfords have the Boardman FS Pro reduced (£300 off) so now only £300 more than the Team!

Seems a bit of a bargain at £1299.99!

FuzzyWuzzy

The Radon bikes via bike-discount.de are pretty tempting (a lot look better on paper than Canyons IMO) but there’s very little in the way of reviews for them (esp. in English).
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/m52/k173/fullsuspension.html

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New Full Suss Bike’ is closed to new replies.