Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Front Mech Problems-Woes!
  • Elmo
    Free Member

I bought a bike with a single front ring.
    I want to put a triple back on the front.
    The bike would have originally come with a deore front mech (googled spec)

I determined it needed to be bottom pull and have a 31.8 clamp. I grabbed a bargain second hand X9.

Only it doesnt fit right! 😳
    Fundamentally it appears to work but the cable rubs on the BB.
    I think i must have the wrong mech-Would a high clamp give me a better cable angle to miss the frame?
    Or am i missing the obvious all together?! 😕

Please help! The X9 was cheap,so i dont mind buying another mech, just want to make sure tis right!
    I obviously need to know more about gears.

Thankyou 😀

mtbfix

Bit of a long shot, but have you tried routing the cable so it clamps on the other side of the clamp bolt? This might give a bit more room.

Elmo
    Free Member

Could try that,but there is a groove that side of the bolt.

Elmo
    Free Member

Nope, still catches as it tightens!

coatesy
    Free Member

Is that the original guide, some guides have a longer section for the front than others.

Elmo
    Free Member

Its the one that was on it.
    I shall see if i can find any more.

Its difficult to see pictures of that part on other bikes i google-so not sure!

andy7t2
    Free Member

what frame is it?

Elmo
    Free Member

Commencal Normal Disc 2009

racing_ralph
    Free Member

If you change i will have the x9 off you?

S_J
    Free Member

If I had to guess, I’d say the cable guide has been broken off the main bracket. For that sort of set up there’s normally an extension to the guide which passes over and past the bb shell. That’s a bad description but I’m sure someone will post a pic of something similar at some point!

Elmo
    Free Member

RR-has first dibs should i have to change.

S-J, ill get on to that. Into the next halfords i pass to look underneath their hardtails.
    See they do have their uses.

S_J
    Free Member

Just had a look at some pics of my old Commencal Supernormal hardtail, which has essentially the same set up. What you get is a short section of plastic tubing that covers the section of cable that passes over the bb shell to stop it rubbing and reduce the friction. This tube slides into the extension from the cable guide under the BB. From your pics it looks like this part might have been broken off. What you really need is someone to post a pic from under a similar frame.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think the plastic guide extension is broken or someone trimmed it to stop it rattling – you could try one of these 🙂

Its a campag one but its got a longer guide on it? Or have a look what a new bike comes with? What frame is it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The cable will rub there with any front mech – you need a different guide or sleeve etc.

Elmo
    Free Member

Nice one. I’m in Ludlow so I’ll pop into Pearce or Plush Cycles later

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Front Mech Problems-Woes!’ is closed to new replies.