Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • New disk brakes – but what to go for?
  • butterbean
    Free Member

Do her fingers not work properly or something?

Saying that such and such brake is either on or off is a complete load of tosh to be honest with you. One of the genius ways our body works is the ability to gently squeeze something or give it a good hard grab. Shimano brakes aren’t on or off – no brakes are – they just perhaps take less effort to get a really decent stop on, which doesn’t mean that you can’t lightly feather them, but does help you go faster and reduces arm pump etc.

Well, apparently not, and she’s talking tosh. As are many end user and professional reviews, all of whom comment about about them being grabby, less modulation than others etc.

But thanks for the irrelevant input anyway.

beano68
    Free Member

Well I’ve just had Hope E’4s fitted and the difference is night and day performance wise and feel and I’ve used a lot of makes

@butterbean just get what used think is best as everyones has different views

leftyboy
    Free Member

For me either X2 Tech 3 or E4 Tech 3, I run the former on my hardtail and the latter on my FS.

I’ve had Shimano in the past and they were good at the start but started to degraded after about 12 months, went back to the Hope’s just because I like them.

The Tech 3 levers are very adjustable so good for smaller hands.

peachos
    Free Member

But thanks for the irrelevant input anyway.

Anytime, though I think you might find my comment had a lot a relevance to the conversation, so I’ll take your response as just:

thanks for the input

honourablegeorge

Use mostly Shimano brakes myself, but have a bike with Hope Tech Evo X2s on – they’re excellent brakes, much different feel to Shimano, there’s a real sense of gradually bringing the power in, but once you apply the full on they don’t lack for power versus XTs or similar at all, I’d say they’re exactly what your Mrs is after.

stumpy01

7hz – Member

It’s ironic that the very first thing out your cakehole….

Great use of the work cakehole. Quite under-used. I think I am going to make more effort to use it.

As for the brakes, I know what people mean when they describe Shimano brakes as grabby. As a non-Shimano brake user, whenever I have ridden a bike with them fitted, they do feel very on-off.
    But, I imagine that within 1/2 hour I’d be using them fine; just need to re-program your fingers.

I’ve got Elixirs on both my mtbs, but will be swapping to Shimano or Magura when I have the cash/inclination because the Avids are just a pain in the rear.

peachos
    Free Member

I imagine that within 1/2 hour I’d be using them fine; just need to re-program your fingers

Exactly!

I’d say they’re exactly what your Mrs is after

Don’t tell him what his Mrs wants!!!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve both Shimano (XT) and Hope (X2 and M4) on my bikes, I agree that XT can feel pretty sharp in comparison. I’ve been put off Avid after owning a set of Juicys, although I have read good reviews on the Guides, I’d like to be sure that they’ll last for years before I’d buy a set.

You can get Hope spares easily, they’re a doddle to maintain and easy to adjust for different sized hands and for bite point.

Surely it has to be Hope?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘New disk brakes – but what to go for?’ is closed to new replies.