Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Deore chainset help.
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I bought a new Deore chainset about a month ago and had it fitted to the frame by the shop i bought it and the frame from.

It has been sat in the frame box wrapped in bubble wrap since then and when i got it out and fitted the mechs i noticed that when on the outer ring the chain kinks to the left when on certain teeth.

I took the chain off and on closer inspection notice that 3 of the teeth on the outer ring were bent over perfectly into an L shape.

Is this going to cause a problem and should i be taking to the shop and asking for a refund/exchange?

The cranks still have the plastic wrapper on them and it has never been ridden or out of the box.

Cheers for any help.

Wally

Does your box have 3 very small holes underneath?
    I strongly suspect the box has been dropped and rings punched through damaging the teeth. If the L is tiny tips I would file down. Otherwise back to shop. Ask for 5:50 on outer ring.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The box does have tiny holes, i never had the chainset in the box (it was fitted and posted when i bought the frame) so it must be the shop that dropped it.

It is just the tips so you think i should just file it down and forget about it?

nuke

It is just the tips so you think i should just file it down and forget about it?

Think that's what I'd do particularly now its been a month or so. If you'd noticed and contacted the shop soon after it was delivered, I think you'd have a better case for getting it replaced.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

yeah i know, only just put the mechs and chain on so i'd not noticed it before tonight.

Im tempted to get a better chainset anyway, im right in thinking if i went for SLX i wouldn't need the BB just the actual chainset?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

and if so anyone know where i can get just the cranks and rings?

nuke

Well somebody put up this link…

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/Chainsets-Shimano-SLX-M660-9-Spd-Triple-Chainset-ex-BB/SHIMCHAM300

…on the XT or SLX thread. Looks a good deal to me and perfect for you…I *think* you're existing BB should work but not certain…anybody confirm?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

it will

Think Ribble were selling SLX cranks without the BB

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

yeah i saw that and went to buy one but they are sold out.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

just buy anew outer ring

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

i'll file it off for now, if the slx comes back in for that price i'll get one. Unless anyone got one from Ribble for the sake of the price and wants to sell it me?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Deore chainset help.’ is closed to new replies.