Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • New Clarks CRS brakes
  • ericwilcock
    Free Member

Yes they were free of charge, we were asked to run these on our bikes and run them through everything and give our feedback on how they behaved, few minor tweaks to the reach adjustment but find no issue with them throughout and still behave as they were when new, I’m no magazine tester or product tester that gets paid, I’m just a normal rider that was asked to try them and see what issue we came across, is that transparent enough?

finbar
    Free Member

Additionally, there’s no reason why a new set of Hope X2s won’t still be working absolutely fine in 20 years time. I’m pretty sure they still sell spares for the old Mono Minis. Want more power? You can buy an upgraded calliper separately. Issues with them? Speak to someone on the phone, from the U.K. I sent my leaking brake back to them. Should it leak? No not really, but within a week I had a freshly bled and rebuilt brake back, with new calliper and hose.

Ish…

Quite a few years ago (probably close to a decade) I was after a replacement crown race for a 1-1/8″ Hope ‘Enduro’ headset from about 2002 or so – named back when enduro meant riding round a field for 6 hours.

Got in touch with Hope – “we don’t carry spares for those any more”. Similarly you can’t get replacement freehubs for Hope XC hubs.

So I wouldn’t bet on 20 year life personally if anything wears out.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Well thisisnotaspoon I’ve used Hope brakes since my early twenties when I was earning a little more than minimum wage and had my own flat to pay for, those were the days, literally impossible now.

plus-one

Hope cnc caliper. Clark cheapie – check

Hope anodized finish. Clark cheapie – check

Hope pimp cnc lever. Clarks cheapie – check

Hope floating rotors. Clarks cheapie – check

Hope 2 year warranty. Clarks cheapie – check

Only hope extra is few extra colours 🤷‍♂️

Ok few more quid on qc but still not seeing the extra value.

harambrose

Like ericwilcock I was given a set of the CRS C4’s foc to try out and provide feedback to Clarks. I’ve been running them since last September in all sorts of conditions and they’ve been faultless.

They replaced a set of SRAM Guide RS brakes that I’ve never had an issue with. The Clarks brakes work as good, if not better than the Guides. They look really good, the finish is excellent and they still look as good as the day they were installed.

I’m running 200mm front and 180mm rear rotors and I’ve never been short of braking power. They’ve always been quiet even in really wet conditions.

If I needed to buy a set of brakes I’d go for another set of C4’s. Great looks, performance and really good value.

doomanic

How does one go about getting such freebies?

sharkattack

How does one go about getting such freebies?

Start a YouTube account where you say “Hi guys welcome back to the channel” while wandering around a trail centre car park with a selfie stick before filming a pov of a trail that’s already in 900 other videos. Tell everyone that your new *insert name of free product* is an absolute game changer.

It’s the future of MTB media.

Don’t forget to like and subscribe.

doomanic

Like or subscribe.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well thisisnotaspoon I’ve used Hope brakes since my early twenties

You must have had deep pockets, because even way back when I was 20 they were £144. Although admittedly way back then you got a disk included for that price.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010718122648/http://www.woollyhatshop.com/acatalog/main_page.htm

plus-one

Few rides on these and they are superb. Great feel at the lever. Look way more expensive than they are and can lock up with one finger.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/V5v2KVy

plus-one

Few rides on these and they are superb. Great feel at the lever. Look way more expensive than they are and can lock up with one finger.

Only minor gripe is entry port to caliper is fixed so can’t move it slightly to suit 🤷‍♂️ But for the money you can’t really complain.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

I’ve a a pair of crs4 on the way.

I won a competition on the clarks Instagram page and ever the sceptic wasn’t sure if these prizes ever got delivered but 2 weeks after being told I’d won I’ve a dpd parcel on its way

Anyone died using these yet

Im well kitted out for brakes but tempted topit them on the trail bike just to try them

no idea if I have any warranty with them been a prize but I’ve cheekily asked the question
    <!–more–>

wzzzz
    Free Member

so the only people using these brakes got them for free :lol:

£76 a pair on aliexpress, worth a punt I suppose

ajantom

so the only people using these brakes got them for free

Nope, I bought mine (though I got £40 off at Halfords).

Still liking them. Overall power of the 2 pots is not quite on par with Hope X2s, but they have a nice feel to them, and look cool.

Stop my 85kg fine on a 29+ Surly.

I’m going to try swapping out the OE pads to see how that feels.

letmetalktomark

In the instructions is there a recommended bleed kit?

I’m tempted by a pair  but would need to remove lever to feed the hose through a frame and will inevitably need a bleed and a new olive/insert. I guess the latter parts are not included?

ajantom

will inevitably need a bleed and a new olive/insert

There’s a couple of olives and inserts I’m the box.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Mine arrived today look excellent

Mine came with spare olives and Inserts

Not had time to fit them due to work commitments but will fit the  tom and report back

I’ve also ordered some galfer pads as I’ve been advised the std pads aren’t great but we will see

letmetalktomark

<p>David – did you go for two pots or four pots?</p>

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

4  pots

danposs86

To those that bought and fitted these, how are they holding up over time? Had any issues?

These are on my list for my daughters bike, what sort of adjustment is there with the lever? Can you get them closer to the bars for small hands?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.