Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New bike thread… but with an engine.
  • weeksy

Well what a random week this turned out to be. After I got back from Pembrey I received a random text asking about finding a mate of a mate an XT660X

Couple of messages later and I got “yours sounds better than all of them choices, how much do you want for yours?”

Couple of hours later and the XT660X was sealed… it was on it’s way out the door and being collected Friday evening.

So, what was I going to buy.. There’s the question.

When I pick a new bike, it’s often with something particular in mind, a trip, a commute, an event etc. This one was no different.

It also has to have ‘something’ about it, whether or not everyone agrees is irrelevant, it’s only me who needs to see ‘it’

I ummed and ahhed, moving from a Superduke to a KTM950, to a Speed triple, Ducati Monster and a Hypermotard, but none of them were really doing it for me. The only one that kept jumping out at me was the Aprilia Tuono.

I’ve not owned a Gen 2 Tuono so it was something different, it’s Italian, so again that’s a plus (despite the character they bring), it’s fine for next years European tour and it’s got a bit of class to it.

So this evening the XT660x was collected and Giantpygmy gave me a lift to view/buy a Tuono.

this particular one was a bit cheaper after negotiation that the others I found, also a LOT closer and easier to collect.

When I arrived it was as I expected, it’s not perfect, it’s maybe a 7/10, as a PUSH it’s an 8, but it was all there, all correct, good history and an Ohlins shock. The paint was the least garish of the Tuono 2nd gen paints.

So, deal done and on my way.

Initial thoughts… .Hmmm.. It’s DIFFERENT. 100% completely different to anything else I’m now used to, the XT660X was my bike now for 10 months and although I didn’t do huge miles on it, I gelled with it and felt at home. I can’t say that about the Tuono at this stage.

Don’t get me wrong, it handles, drives, powers and corners WAY better than me…. but I’ve not found the sweet spot within myself after the first 60mile jaunt.

It’s bloody quick…the thing FLIES once you his 6500rpm. driving all the way up to the red light flashing away.

Cornering is great, really nice and composed, but you do feel every little movement and moment through the Ohlins, which for me needs to be softened up a little to feel better.

The headlight seems a LONG way in front of the tank, again something I need to get used to.

Ideally i’ll put a new chain and sprocket on there next month, along with a new rear tyre.

But that’s it at the moment…

Out for a blast tomorrow to get used to it and see how it goes in the daytime.

Massive thanks to IanB and Giantpygmy for their help 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

*skipped the text to get to the pictures*

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Read the first 2 para’s, looked at pictures.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Sold my bikes and took up rambling.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am bikeless now having sold the Tenere 🙁

Not convinced about the Tuono to me there is something not quite right, can’t put my thumb on it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not convinced about the Tuono to me there is something not quite right, can’t put my thumb on it.

Looks like it has just had the fairing removed, rather than being a bike designed without one.

weeksy

It could be argued to an extent that’s what it is. All the other manufacturers de-tune their engines for the Nakeds (mostly, slightly less since 2013 I guess), whereas Aprilia basically left it with the Evo Aprilia Mille motor in full fat, full power insanity mode. So yeah to a great extent it’s simply their sportsbike with bits removed 🙂

I’m not a big fan of the headlight unit, but every bike has compromises in some ways, however, I can live with that being the main compromise.

flange
    Free Member

Without question the most fun bike I’ve owned. If you don’t get on with it, let me know!

anagallis_arvensis

Its FUGLY, but who gives a shit when your riding. Not really my thing but I hope you enjoy. Drive carefully its must be a tad quicker than the xt!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of the headlight unit, but every bike has compromises in some ways, however, I can live with that being the main compromise.

I think that’s it. Reminded me of the aftermarket units people used to slap on the GSXR they just slid down the road, and turned into a ‘streetfighter’.

weeksy

My big debate for the day is whether I take the Tuono or the 750K7 trackbike to Mallory this Friday for the day….

wilko1999
    Free Member

Looks superb Weeksy

Not quite a Tuono but I had three RSVs in total. Two were the original shape ie single-side exhaust, and also an RSV Factory on which your Tuono is obviously based. Amazing track bikes, did numerous trackdays including laps of the Nordschleife. The Tuono will be equally as amazing on the track. Although Mallory on my RSV-R was a painful experience, a super-moto would have been far more enjoyable around there.

weeksy

I’ve ridden loads at Mallory from a ZX6-R to a 916, 750K1, 600, etc etc. I think it may be a nightmare in the bus-stop, but fun everywhere else.

May depend on the weather as the track bike has wets if needed.

Rubber_Buccaneer

My soapy tenner says you don’t keep it long. If you take it to Mallory I think you will come away wishing you’d gone for the KTM. I just think they are hard bikes to really get on with. I could, of course, be very wrong.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I gelled with it and felt at home. I can’t say that about the Tuono at this stage.

I think this feeling will stick.

weeksy

I’ve had 4 superdukes so no need for another. Dont get me wrong, I don’t hate the Tuono, but we’re still not quite there. Slower speeds I like it less than high speed, 80+ its brilliant and handles like a dream. 20-30 its poop. Rarely do I own bikes long, 3 months is normal. Time will tell how long this lasts. It has many things going for it though, beautiful little details etc, Italian character and feel! All plusses for me.

allfankledup

Gah – change the headlight and the mirrors – looks like a fly….

I like the noise from the Mille…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Engine?! The Devil’s work!!!!!!

Looks great though.

Slogo
    Free Member

Blue wheels look shit.

mrmoofo

They are stunning bikes ….
    And a piece of piss to ride

Or at least I think so

Ugly – yes , if you say so.
    fit a slightly bigger screen as well and it works well …

Weeksy – take it on the track day – then the decision will be made. But you did buy it as a road bike ….

weeksy

Weeksy – take it on the track day – then the decision will be made. But you did buy it as a road bike ….

The bike is primarily a road bike yes, mainly for a tour to Germany, Nurburgring and a trackday at Spa next year. I’ve got the bigger screen ready and waiting to be fitted already for the trip.

Looking like Friday up at Mallory will be wet in the afternoon, so i’ll be trailering the trackbike up instead along with Wets.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Any update? I still think the Tuono is harder work than it needs to be and you will change it for something else.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

all motorcycles are fab. Wheels need to be black though.
    Any excuse to post a pic of my GS

allthegear
    Free Member

Daisy_Duke – that’s nice!!

Couldn’t quite convince myself I’d not drop a 1200, so went for the 800… 🙂

Now has sat nav fitted ‘cos I got lost in Bruges the other week…

Rachel

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

ATG, I didn’t test ride the F800 Adv, wish I had now. I’m a big fan of shaft drive so it had to be the GS for me. I’ve a list as long as my arm for my GS. It needs crash bars, Sat Nav(it already has all the fittings and handlebar scroll controls), hard panniers, taller screen etc…
    Post some more pics of your F800Adv…

weeksy

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

Any update? I still think the Tuono is harder work than it needs to be and you will change it for something else.

Apologies, missed this yesterday.

I’ll copy and paste the last write up from other forum

“So yesterday the Tuono got a new rear, a Continental contimotion. Used them before and worked well, cheap too, so went for it again.

Into work today, the bike feels LOTS better on all surfaces now, tips in better, holds lines better. Vastly improved. Was a bit foggy early doors but despite being unable to see it handled it well.

Almmost looped it in the car park at work “wonder if it wheelies as easily as the Superdukes?” Oooops… yeah it does actually LOL…

Is this now the ‘best bike ever?’ Hmmmm. To be honest, no… but the GSXR750K7 trackbike I have is without doubt taking that crown…. The Tuono though… ain’t far behind in the list, that’s for sure”

I’ve spent countless hours cleaning and sorting the bike, loads of built up chain lube and rubbish in there, all the bits stripped off etc. Wheels out for cleaning the inside/underside of hugger.

I’ve not ridden it much lately as it’s been walloping with rain at times and I’ve had lots of other stuff going on with family as we’re off on holiday later this afternoon.

It’s still not an ‘easy’ bike to ride.. but it’s a very very good one.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Stick with it …..my Mille was a bitch to ride at first especially a slow speeds……it’s very sensitive to suspension changes….and tyre profiles….but once you have it sorted they’re awsome

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New bike thread… but with an engine.’ is closed to new replies.