Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New bike post! (Codeine content)
  • sambob
    Free Member

Sold the Salsa Horsethief I’ve had for 2 1/2 years, really enjoyed it but was getting the new bike itch and On-One were flogging Codeines off at £550 with a CCDB air so I couldn’t say no. Ideally I’d have bought a blue one but they were sold out so white it was, although it looks better than I thought it might (already had the white wheels). Not had a proper ride on it yet but it feels good having had a spin up and down the road on it. Definitely feels slightly more upright than the salsa, but not in a bad way, just different. Really looking forward to getting out on it and seeing how it compares, although it’ll probably be a while until I’ve got the shock set up spot on. Anyone got any base settings they’d recommend?

Northwind

Those colours make me feel very negative. LOLZ.

Nice that, what size is it?

sambob
    Free Member

Large, doesn’t look very 29er-ish does it?

Rickos
    Free Member

Do a search for the massive Codeine thread. Somewhere in there Brant put the CCDB settings that the team riders used. As good a place as any to start probably.

Sorely tempted myself at that price!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Looks like a monster in a monster truck kinda way.

8)

woodster

So you went fior one in the end then! Mine is looking very bike-ish, but still need to source some new wheels.

Looks fantastic! I do like the proportions you get with the big wheels for a large frame.

sambob
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll need a Narrow/wide rather than using the chain guide I’ve got on at the moment, can’t get the guide low enough to clear the chain without it hitting the pivot bolt. Feel like that’ll be cheaper than finding a low profile chain guide like the new OneUp guide.

frood
    Free Member

The CCDB air settings are the same as the El Guapo 29er ones from what I remember and are on the Cane Creek website. It’s an awesome bike, enjoy!

sambob
    Free Member

First ride verdict: faster, up and down. Climbs well, didn’t have any issues with climbing, the front end stayed planted without needing to think about it, and grip was incredible. Descending, it definitely encourages hooliganism, in that I was riding sections I used to brake for without the brakes, just to see what happened. Only negative was that the chain kept falling off, but I think that was a combination of a draggy free hub and a worn out chain. Looking forward to seeing what it’s like in corners now.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Got a Hammerhead Thumper and from what I can tell, they’re very similar bikes. Yes, large 29ers look right. They are monster truck bikes and smash through everything you throw them at. Enjoy, you’ll love it!

fizik
    Free Member

best bike i have ridden in terms of performance vs value, great technical climber, good in the twisty stuff, very easy to loft the front wheel into a manual, smashes through rocks but the best bit is the grip you get on balls out loose flat corners that would have me sticking a foot out on my old bikes. Run mine with the on one tyres which are also immense.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks good, maybe try a flat bar to get a better position, if that saddle is at pedalling height then I’m not surprised it feels upright.

sambob
    Free Member

The position feels comfy, just different, I’ll keep the position as is for a while, trying to avoid spending any money for a bit as I’m very skint.

singlespeedstu

Nice rimz. 😉

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Good choice, I get on with mine a lot better than my big Orange Five 29er

Shock tune wise I run:

3.25 turns of High Speed Compression
    3.25 turns of High Speed Rebound
    3 clicks of Low Speed Compression
    15 clicks of Low Speed Rebound

Only negative of the frame is its mass, but its stiff and I prefer that to it being flexy!

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers gibbonarms, those settings are very different to mine! I started with 1.5 turns HSC, 16 clicks LSC, 2 turns HSR and 9 clicks LSR. Took 2 clicks LSC off during the ride as rapid small hits were feeling a bit hard, seemed to smooth things out a little bit. Those are the same settings as the team riders used aren’t they? Tempted to try them next as they’re so different, and see what I prefer/ whether I’ll like something in the middle.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’ve tweaked mine a little from those but it was fairly bang on for how I like it to feel.

sambob
    Free Member

What feel was that? If you can put it into words, I know feel is very subjective.

JoeG
    Free Member

Non-drive side photo. 🙄 Cranks nowhere near level. 😡

And WTF is going on with your driveway FFS?

sambob
    Free Member

Broke every rule of bike photos I know. Driveway is being resurfaced as I type this, hence the MOT.

v666ern
    Free Member

Can you change that picture to one of it where its less anaemic 8) 😛

josh145
    Free Member

Tempted to buy one of these. Never rode a 29er before though!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New bike post! (Codeine content)’ is closed to new replies.