Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New bike possibly?
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well today I had my first proper ride after my injury I sustained back in Feb. Went to Gisburn and did the full loop and the hope line three times. Brilliant fun. And I love the new swoopy section and adore the Hope line. Hully Gully is very very bumpy now, but bloody good fun. So my question is I want a slacker angled Hardtail, because my 2009 felt very steep and skittish compared to my mate’s Boardman comp .

My current bike us a 09 Carrera Vulcan with Sram x4 bits, deore discs, and a 100mm RS Tora SL coil.

Any suggestions on the next level up? Carrera fury?

I_Ache
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

My suggestion would be get a new frame and transfer all the parts into it.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Dunno yet about £800 max.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Maybe get yourself an on one 456 frame some sektors and some new wheels. You should be able to pick that up for under 800. This would be night and day difference to your carrera and would stand you in good stead for the future. Most of the components will bolt straight on with the possible exception of the headset and seat post.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Can I just take my brakes and mechs off and get new cables? Any others similar to the 456? Heard there quite harsh or is that bull sniff?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Yes on mechs. Hopefully you wouldn’t have to replace the hose on your brakes.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/frames-mtb/cove-frames/cove-stiffee-fr.html

I_Ache
    Free Member

The 456 should be fine coming from a carrera. I’m not a fan of the old 456 but don’t have any experience with the new one, my personal choice is the Cotic BFe but that frame is nearly twice the cost of the 456.

RRD
    Free Member

If your mate’s Boardman Comp felt better why not one of those?

trevron73
    Free Member

I have just gone from a Cannondale sl4 to a Cotic BFe ,swopped over all the parts,most were upgraded any way so on Friday i pick up a killer hardtail that will love abuse? very very stiff frame -its basically a jump frame (i am 120kilo)if you are 80k+/- get a soul but for knackers like me BFe

johnj2000
    Free Member

This maybe? Linky

I_Ache
    Free Member

That 456c looks like a decent buy. It would be worth seeing if you can have a go on one before buying.

Oh of a BFe is certainty not a jump frame. It can be used for jumping and is perfectly happy doing so but what it does best is racing down hills on the edge of control giving you a massive smile.

jambalaya
    Free Member

New frame and forks (with more travel) and transfer bits over. If that costs less than £800 (which it should depending on choices) save the money and see how the new bike rides before deciding what next.

There are a whole load of choices out there but Dialled have some Prince Albert Classics for £200ish, add in some decent 120 coil forks and you’ve a new bike. BTW I have a BFe and it’s an excellent bike.

Happy hunting.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I do like the Boardman comp but I want something slacked angled than that. He got it for £250 so was a bargain.
    I do like the on one’s. How do they take to 130 mm forks?

trevron73
    Free Member

Sorry the BFe is not a jump frame its a hardcore hardtail that can take abuse and jump- (you will never break this frame )i was told ? i think they are right ,im running 100mm forks and i never get more than 10″ off the ground -but its nice to know i can .

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Like the look of the On one 456 EVO X5 secktor. That looks fun. Planning on keeping the Vulcan for the missus who is just starting out. Anybody know if on one participate in the cycle to work scheme mainly the nhs one?

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – how wide are your bars?

If the steering is too twitchy, try a wider bar. I’ve gone to 30″ bars and it slows the steering down nicely. You will probably need a shorter stem to compensate as well.

And why not try an angled headset? Works Components does them, even for 1-1/8 traditional headset. Yes, one degree is definitely noticeable!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

On-One do cycle to work but if you use one of the companies that take 10-11% cut for themselves then like several other bike shops they will ask you to pay that cost.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Cycle to work isn’t currently available at our Nhs trust at the moment, but my details have been noted and I will be emailed when it is. Whatever that means.

Joe G – my bars are standard I think there 680 mm and a 100mm would changing to 700 mm and a 80mm stem make any difference? Also my current Tora Coil forks to maybe 120 mm Air forks. I like the bike and it handled the bumps at Gisburn well. It just feels really steep on the downs like I’m going to tip over the bars and twitchy.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is this what you have?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-carrera-vulcan-12-45673

The forks arnt Toras but I don’t know what year you have so the specha obviously changed. The head angle on this one is reasonably relaxed and definitely not steep but the stem is pretty bloody long and will put your weight quite far forward. A shorter stem and wider bars will help keep your weight more central. Bigger forks (120-130mm) with better damping will help too.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

No that’s the new one. Mine is the one linked at the bottom of the page. The toras were a upgrade and there good but I know that even the suntour epicon air forks are plusher.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – I think that going from 680 to 700 width (only 10 mm on each side) would be hard to notice. If you can borrow that bar/stem combo, then give it a try. I wouldn’t spend the money just to try such a small change, though.

Pinkbike had some real good info on bar width here.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New bike possibly?’ is closed to new replies.