Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • NEW bike in second hand shop – dodgy?
  • philfive
    Free Member

have you seen the bikes that ebay seller has available, retail unit based in manchester, coinceidence?

cornish
    Free Member

have you seen the bikes that ebay seller has available, retail unit based in manchester, coinceidence?

Just what i was going to say 🙂

MrTall
    Free Member

But it’s ok, they’re all being sold ‘for a friend’ so absolutely nothing dodgy there then………. I have several friends who have 7 unused top end MTB’s that use my ebay account to sell them…… Hmmmmm.

santacruzblues
    Free Member

Hi all, only joined the “club” today so feeling my way around things. I have been after a large 2011 Zesty for a few weeks now, spotted the sale on e-bay (as many of you have) so I wrote to them over the weekend asking about “selling for a mate” and was there any paperwork, guarantee form to register the bike with the manufacturer/distributor etc., not received a reply as yet but was god smacked this morning when he/they insereted a second brand new Zesty (in medium) with all the same speal. The add by the way covers the bike speck in detail so someone knows a bit about bikes.????

santacruzblues
    Free Member

Bit more info I forgot to mention, both bikes have/had a starting price of £1000 and no reserve.

My guess for what it’s worth in reading your thoughts/inputs are; with no reported stolen Zesty’s fed back to Hotlines from their distributors these bikes have come from the continent, they pay a LOT less than us for their bikes so they could be legit but my money is on them haing been nicked over there and arrived in a loory or van, best optioin is that even if they were procured over there somewhere legit they were not declared to HMCR when they arrived, so, exported tax free from Europe at around 18% lower base price than here in UK and a nice saving of 20% VAT.

nbt

A mate of mine used to run a second hand shop. he would buy in bikes off people who walked in off the street but would insist on ID for the person selling it. that way he was covered as if there was any comeback he had bought in good faith and had details of the person who sold it to him.

Except it only covers him for the offence of handling stolen goods. If they’re nicked and the cops find them, they;re still nicked and he has *no rights* to keep them whatsoever even if he “paid in good faith”. Leaves him down by a few quid that he laid out to buy a bike, but then if you’re dealing in “possibly” stolen goods, that’s a risk you take, eh?

julianwilson
    Free Member

if they are from the continent the brakes will be the wrong way round, non?

oh unless lapierre still use the flip-floppable formula, then the ‘distributor’ (ahem) just has to find the right size torx key to switch them over…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed NBT

However when I had a bike nicked he bought it off a toerag for a fiver and gave it back to me and he would do the same for anyone.

santacruzblues
    Free Member

I also thought about the brakes being “arse about face” but Zesty 514 have the latest Avid’s that I believe are flip so easy, that doesn’t mean the numpty selling it knows that??

I mailed em again this morning asking them why they hadn’t replied to my question sent Friday, we wait! Somehow I doubt I will get a reply!!!!!!!!!!

uwe-r
    Free Member

Went in again today, decided to go Hercule Poirot rather than Jack Bauer.

He wants £2,500 for it (I didn’t laugh) but he would listen to sensible offers. I asked what paperwork he had and he said he had a pack that came with it but did not offer to show me. I asked where it was from he said someone just came in with it. He then offered to give me a full receipt if I bought it.

Not very convincing.

z1ppy

no idea if it’s the case but have heard previously of ppl were running credit card scams to buy bikes & then selling them on as they were supposedly legitimate (had reciepts).

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘NEW bike in second hand shop – dodgy?’ is closed to new replies.