Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Bike – HELP! Kona Process 153 Or Lapierre spicy 327??
  • jfagone
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Wondering if you could help me decide what bike to buy…

looking for a 150mm ish bike, and found some pretty god deals online for both of them, any thoughts?

Trouble is, I’m 6ft 2 and can only get large in both, not sure if XL would be better.

Am trying both out in Large soon but wondered if you had any ideas?

(small spanner in the works – found a Process 134 in XL. Would upgrade to pikes 150)

Cheers

Jake

leegee

I’m 6ft and on a large 134, at 6,2 i’d say you need XL

jfagone
    Free Member

Cheers Leegee, that what i thought to be honest . . . what do you think of the 134? Am a bit worried if i ever wanted to hit the alps/big scotland trip etc.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I have a XL Process 111 and am 6’4″. A mate, who is maybe a little shorter, rides a XL 153 – both fit really well.

I had 2 weeks in the Alps this summer and there where only a couple of trails where I thought I’d like some more travel. I mainly ride Surrey Hills and North Downs and it handles anything (as big as I’m every likely to attempt), just fine.

I figured I’d buy a bike which best suited 95% of my riding. I did look at the 134, but though 111 would be a better match for my Honzo.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Get a Kona. Don’t get a ‘the peter’!

leegee

Each time I ride mine I like it more, climbs are harder than the 29er I was on.

dingabell
    Free Member

Get the Kona…..just because they look bloody lovely!

jfagone
    Free Member

Cheers guys, appreciate your comments.

Definitely swaying towards the XL – its just a shame i can’t find the 153 XL in the sale – 30% off rrp is too much of a good offer to ignore!

Will definitely try out the XL 134!

chakaping
    Free Member

The whole thing about the kona is the sizing. Buying the wrong size one would be daft IMO.

Buying the wrong size spicy would be even more daft. Since it will be shorter anyway.

Tbh the konas were pricey to start with. Have a look at the giant reign maybe?

sprocker
    Free Member

I am 6 1 on a large zesty fine for me although the spicy is a touch shorter with the longer fork, try and get a sit in them

tomcrow99

I’m 6 2 on an XL Process 153 and it is absolutely spot on. The only issue size wise is that it could do with a longer dropper as it either doesn’t go low enough, or high enough (if that makes sense).
    I got it this time last year in the sales for £1800 (winstanleys)
    Like you I was tempted by a 134 and then to add Pikes but it would have worked out a few hundred quid more. The 153 is a bit of a beast and can make flatter trails a bit dull/hard work, it climbs fine though, the 134 may be better allrounder.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Pssst… Worth looking at the bargain cannondale Triggers and Jekyls at Paul’s Cycles. There were some real bargains last time I looked!

jfagone
    Free Member

Blimey, you’re not wrong there!

Anyone had any experience with the Cannondale Trigger 4? Serious savings there!

daver27
    Free Member

depending on where you are int eh country, tehre is an XL 2015 Process 153 in the Evans Warehouse clearance Tent sale at Gatwick..

chakaping
    Free Member

he could always fly to get it

jfagone
    Free Member

I’ve just phoned, they don’t have any XL’s in – did you see that online, or in the warehouse sale? I’m in London so could get there quite easily!

daver27
    Free Member

It’s in the tent outside their head office. The sale isn’t online

jfagone
    Free Member

If it’s still there tomorrow morning I’ll be a very happy man! Cheers dude!

daver27
    Free Member

Was it there?

billyboy
    Free Member

The Process I rode was lovely but the mech hanger is VERY breakable

jfagone
    Free Member

daver27 – It was there, and it’s now mine . . . what a beauty!

Bike

Cheers guys – love it!

kimbers

nice!

the first lot of mech hangers were flimsy, but I got a BETD replacement (and a new stronger alloy kona one)

and its been fine in well over a year of abuse

id reccommend an upper guide if you are 1x, mrp do their 1x in an E mount that works well
    they come with taped wheels so you can just add valves and some fluid and youre away
    id also tape up the stays as they are super wide and you can get some heal rub pretty quickly

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Ive got a new 153 DL, after a few hours riding the pivots squeak like a bastard.

put it down to new-ness at first buy it still happens a fair few rides in.

daver27
    Free Member

Fantastic! Glad to help!

kimbers

Jaffejoffer, mine is squeak free, even after 2 years, is there any play, have to make sure the bolt that holds the rear shock to the rocker yoke is tight

dingabell
    Free Member

That is one lovely bike.
    Was it a proper bargain?

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Looks good jfagone. Would love to hear what you think about it after you’ve managed a few rides on it. I can get a new 2015 frame which is on my shortlist for my new build. Most peeps rave about them but i have heard a few people just dont get on with them at all.
    Enjoy your new bike.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

There’s a good five or six process’s in our riding group now. Mostly 153’s and everybody loves them. just as comfortable pedaling all day on the moors as it is on balls out DH tracks. Delighted with mine too.

there is no play kimbers. have been advised to try that copper grease so will give that a whirl otherwise its going in…

kimbers

Had mine for 2 years, ridden it up down along etc, its too much travel for somewhere like swinley, still good but flattens the trail too much, but anywhere with some elevation its bonkers fun!

I got some lb carbon wheels on mine to make the long days a bit less tiring

jfagone
    Free Member

Daver27 – you really did help mate, cheers.

Cheers Kimbers – spent enough on it, so might save any extra until I need it lol.

Pretty good bargain to be fair, although I wasn’t banking on getting the DL. Saved about 45% over all from rrp. 30% off, then an extran 10% off on the day, and then im saving £250 using the cycle to work scheme for £1000 of it! Overall, costing me £2250 … not too bad really!

I’ll let you know when I’ve taken it for a spin this weekend – shame it’s almost winter!

jfagone
    Free Member

Chaps,
    Bit of an update on the 153 ride. 2 main points

1) Uphill is a bit of a struggle (always knew it would be). But I get there in the end!

2) Downhill is mental fun! the bike is so stiff and the head angle is so slack, it takes anything. This bike is made for speed, and lots of it!

Definitely worth the struggle going uphill – such a sweet ride.

Rode swinley, and your right, its a bit too big for swinley. However, went to the peaks last weekend and it came into its own. It flew down Jacobs ladder using all 160/153 travel.

Conclusion – if you don’t mind the slog uphill, this bike is definitely worth it!

Here it is in the peaks – it’s a beaut!
    153 in the peaks

Cheers for all your help!!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Bike – HELP! Kona Process 153 Or Lapierre spicy 327??’ is closed to new replies.