Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • New bike cafe and workshop in Bristol – crowd funding content
  • MrAgreeable

I’m 99.999999999% sure they will sell tea too.

We could argue about the politics of the people involved, but referring to them as “handwringers” is a bit unfair – doesn’t that usually refer to people who moan but do nothing?

These people have already committed a substantial amount of time, money and effort into something that will have real social benefits. More people on bikes = a good thing, right?

wrecker
    Free Member

We could argue about the politics of the people involved, but referring to them as “handwringers” is a bit unfair – doesn’t that usually refer to people who moan but do nothing?

The comment wasn’t directed at the people organising it. It was an intended stereotype for potential clientelle.

MrAgreeable

What would you prefer, a cafe full of people moaning about how immigrants have ruined everything and gay used to mean happy and carefree? 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

How about a bit of both? Spice things up a bit wouldn’t it? 😉
    We could have a STW style fight debate night. Perhaps with a cage.

MrAgreeable

I really hope the atmosphere of the place isn’t like STW. The topics of conversation will hopefully range a bit wider than tyres, vasectomies and why trail centres are for n00bs.

TooTall
    Free Member

OK. I’m with Mr A in his corner of the cage. We might not be straight there – might be doing things to help other people first. You start without us, we’ll join in when we get there.

wrecker
    Free Member

OK. I’m with Mr A in his corner of the cage. We might not be straight there – might be doing things to help other people first. You start without us, we’ll join in when we get there.

He might not want you. And I haven’t said what side I’m on yet. What makes you think that you do more for people than I do?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

In the North this bunch would be labeled as beggars.Down south of course there innovaters providing a public service.What a joke.

MrAgreeable

monkeycmonkeydo, this is very sudden but… I think I love you.

hopster
    Free Member

Hey Mr A. Some of these guys on STW need to chill out. I think the cafe is a great idea and I’ll be heading down to support it. Shame there aren’t more people willing to put time, effort and money into things like this.

Oh that’ll be directed at the moaning northerners.

sas
    Free Member

The bike-shop-cafe combination has been working in Oxford for a while, I think they were the first cafe in Oxford to offer a flat white 🙂
    http://zappisbikecafe.com/

The old Oxford Cycle Workshop co-op used to do a lot of community work (including working with schools, the homeless, teaching bike maintenance), partly funded by grants. Sadly they went under but have now reincarnated as the Broken Spoke Bike Coop.

MrAgreeable

I’ve met the Oxford lot a few times – Dan, Rebecca, Simon et al – and was well impressed by what they were doing, as well as how much fun they were having along the way.

sbob
    Free Member

In the North this bunch would be labeled as beggars.Down south of course there innovaters providing a public service.What a joke.

In the north it wouldn’t happen because you’re too lazy.

Other than the northern monkey’s raging jealousy, why all the negativity?
    I won’t benefit from this endeavour as I live in the South, but wish them all the best.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Now we have innovative cycling projects on the mean streets of Oxford.Good to see sknob back with his high level sociological analysis.If a black or working class person ever shows up at this hipster joint id be amazed.Its just the usual charity obsessed private school slackers looking for an easy life.With a bit of patronising’helping the poor’,thrown in.It’s all very big society and coalition bullshit to my eyes.

wrecker
    Free Member

.If a black or working class person ever shows up at this hipster joint id be amazed.

You’ve never been to Bristol have you?

MrAgreeable

DNFTT.

Edit: actually, keep feeding, it means more people will see this thread, have a good cackle and then hopefully put their hands in their pockets.

sbob
    Free Member

Now we have innovative cycling projects on the mean streets of Oxford.Good to see sknob back with his high level sociological analysis.If a black or working class person ever shows up at this hipster joint id be amazed.Its just the usual charity obsessed private school slackers looking for an easy life.With a bit of patronising’helping the poor’,thrown in.It’s all very big society and coalition bullshit to my eyes.

Ahh, it’s starting to become clear.

A little advice; do you know what society/the world/life owes you?

NOTHING.

If you want something like this in your area then get up off your lazy posterior and do it yourself.

Whinging like a baby on the internet will not get you anywhere, and I’d leave out the politics until you’re old enough to vote. 😉

MrAgreeable

And here I sit waiting for Mr Monkey’s response. It’s like Kasparov v Karpov.

sbob
    Free Member

Likewise.
    I’ll admit I was interested to read his casually racist view as it isn’t something I’ve come across in my area, or indeed the last decade for that matter.

TooTall
    Free Member

What makes you think that you do more for people than I do?

Nothing – but your determination to denigrate some people (you may have never met) for trying something that is local, ethical, laudable and not unreasonable gives a certain impression.

It’s all very big society and coalition bullshit to my eyes.

That’ll be because you are blinkered by the mahoosive chips you have on each shoulder. For a Southerner you gob off about being Northern an awful lot.

grahamg
    Free Member

I think folks are missing the core essential competitive advantage this place will have….

The workshop bit will be open throughout, same as the cafe bit. That’s the genius – it’ll be open outside office hours. So many people can’t get out of work from the 9-5 to sort out bike repairs/servicing etc. or even just for a puncture repair. No other shop in Bristol, bar Evans, is available for this. Evans is a big retail premises that just happens to have a workshop attached – anyone in on a weekend or evening will be amazed and the number of people wanting to just fix a puncture or ‘have a look at my brakes’. This is the gap in the market. Bike shops are so busy with repairs/servicing in Bristol that I can’t think of anywhere that you don’t have to book your bike in for, even for the smallest of jobs. I do hope the intention with this place is that if someone comes in and all they need is new brake blocks and cable adjustment, they can just sit down with a coffee/tea and it’ll be done in 10 minutes.

The next bonus is showing cycling events on a big screen. For those of use who don’t want to get a Sky subscription just for Eurosport, or watch it online for that matter, it will be bloody great for races like the one day classics which get no terrestrial coverage whatsoever. Paris-Roubaix with a load of mates with frites and beer? Hell yes!

Cafes might be too numerous to mention, but with this, the cafe is just the glue that holds the rest together.

MrAgreeable

To be fair, Mud Dock do show some of the big classic races. It’s just not the first place that springs to mind when I think about watching a bike race.

Nice coverage from road.cc:

http://road.cc/content/news/66626-crowdfunding-sought-bristol-community-bike-cafe

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I haven’t exactly been overjoyed by the current government, but if I ever doubt my decision to vote Conservative I have only to read the deranged ramblings of an oxygen thief like monkeycmonkeydo.

wrecker
    Free Member

but your determination to denigrate some people (you may have never met) for trying something that is local, ethical, laudable and not unreasonable gives a certain impression.

What are you talking about? I made a jokey comment about the clientelle likely to be a bit lefty. Probably quite accurate. I’ve not denigrated anyone. Determined? what?

grahamg
    Free Member

“To be fair, Mud Dock do show some of the big classic races. It’s just not the first place that springs to mind when I think about watching a bike race.”

Yeah, with the volume down/off so as not to disturb the food customers. I hate that place.

hopster
    Free Member

“To be fair, Mud Dock do show some of the big classic races. It’s just not the first place that springs to mind when I think about watching a bike race.”

Yeah, with the volume down/off so as not to disturb the food customers. I hate that place.

LOL.

Kinda says it all really. All style and no substance. Remember the uproar when they tried to vote it one of the best bike shops in the UK a few years ago and everyone was up in arms because as a shop they are so up themselves.

MrAgreeable

I’ve never actually been to watch one there, so I wouldn’t know.

I’ve never found the shop to be particularly “up themselves” – lots of sound people have worked there and quite a few have gone on to bigger and better things in the bike industry. They know their customer base and presumably if the cyclists were driving away the diners, they would be losing money. It’s a bit like expecting a posh restaurant to be showing the football.

wallop

I can’t stand the place.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

BH a toryboy who would have thunk it.For you silly southerners sake I will point out M,boro has had a cycle centre for the last decade.This of course was under a Labour Govt and properly financed.Sknob saying I was making a racist comment shows he can’t even read.As for the Geordie Lord Haw Haw Totall its time he was cut down to size!You would think the displaced Geordie post industrial nomads would want to support the northeast.I think its time we split STW into a North/South sections.I no longer wish to be exposed to the ramblings of a bunch of forlock tugging,tory voting,poor baiting brainwashed halfwits.Goodnight Alf Garnets ,sleep tight.

wallop

I don’t mind a rant if it’s eloquent and nicely written, but that’s just drivel.

sbob
    Free Member

Well this is gold!
    If by “properly financed” you mean unprecedented public borrowing and spending with no hope of return, then yes, Labour were very good at “proper financing”.
    It’s the greatest reason as to why we are over £1 trillion in debt.
    That and the feckless dole scroungers.

What do you do for a living monkey?
    I’m going to hazard a guess at semi-professional Jeremy Kyle viewer, am I close?

MrAgreeable

You know that feeling when you get back from holiday and the cat’s left a big pile of sick on the stairs? That.

MrAgreeable

Anyway, some good news. They’re already over 50% of the way there!

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/investment/roll-for-the-soul-a-community-bike-cafe-for-bristol-1228

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

That’ll be more free manbags allround then.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Incredible. Someone puts a lot of work, and presumably money, into something that can only benefit people and cycling as a whole and all some people can do is flap their unconteolled gobs and spout such crap it beggars belief. I truly hope that monkeythingy one day tries to do something positive rather than belittling others efforts. But I doubt it. What a tool.

Mr A, I hope it all gets off the ground well and I shall make sure I visit next time I’m down your way. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Trying to be helpful; Coffee for the shop must be purchased from two day coffee roasters on st michaels hill. Great little Indy business, nice people and amazing coffee!

sbob
    Free Member

Monkey is back!
    That must have been one hell of a Jeremy Kyle-athon to keep him away that long.
    I might start a book on how many Rustlers microwave burgers it took him to see it through.

Great to see it doing well so far, but why the emphasis on coffee? I thought cyclists were all tea and Eccles cakes?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Sknob has a point.It al be all Earl Grey and no builders tea.

sbob
    Free Member

Builder’s tea is for the working man; you never did answer my question about your employment, can I assume I got it right?

Why don’t you take inspiration from your moniker; see all those people with jobs?
    Get one you ****.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Have to say, i dont really think Bristol is “crying out for something like this” at all. I hope it works out for you and it is a success but I just dont get the business model. If you need cheap/free servicing you are unlikely to also spend £5 on a latte and a piece of organic, homemade flapjack from a cafe whilst you wait, or if you can, then you should be charging them £5 for the servicing and make them forego the cake…..

If I just go for the cake and coffee and the atmosphere, there are good cafes that already do it in Bristol, you dont need to be in a cycle shop/environment to talk about cycles.

Offering a venue to watch cycle races in a cafe environemnt is also somewhat flawed. Sure, its nice to watch a spring classic on a big screen with your mates but there are only half a dozen a year that take place at the weekend and only another half dozen or so Grand Tour stages at the weekend most people could make, given we are all at work for the rest. Maybe I’m wrong and loads of people would leave work early to catch the end of a mountain stage but who will be your customers throughout the rest of the day, month, year and why would they go to your cafe and not Boston Tea Party, Starbucks, etc etc. Given we all moan about clique-y cycle shops, how will this be any different?.

There are already good cafes in Bristol that sell aforementioned organic, homemade cake and charge £3 for a slice (when in reality, if i head for a cafe after a ride all I want is pre-packaged gloop made from sugar and oats for £1) and there are also bike shops I trust with my bike (winter hack or sunday best is irrelevant) whom I am happy to pay an appropriate fee, sorry but I dont need the two combined.

I’ll decide later if its worth £5 for my latte and flapjack just to annoy the legion of bristol fixie hipsters with my carbon frame, 20 gears and lycra.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘New bike cafe and workshop in Bristol – crowd funding content’ is closed to new replies.