Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New bar tape time
  • stox
    Free Member

I’ve never changed bar tape before … Going to follow the parktool web instructions.
    Am I likely to make a pigs ear of it and swear a lot the first time around ?!

Any top tips?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You tube video, don’t stick it on first time.

Merak

Dont bother with the bits for the shifters. Wrap inwards towards the head tube. Keep it really taught the whole time. Mark a finishing point (my ocd) finish with electrical tape.

iainc

park tool instructions are good and I follow their approach of starting at bottom and clockwise on left, anticlockwise on right, which means that if you dont do figure of 8’s at the shifters then tape is corect way round on the tops. Take it slowly, have bike at chest height in a workstand, keep an eye on the overlaps especially on the curved bits.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Some tape is cut skimpy so if you leave out the shifter bits and do “figure of 8s” you can come up short.
    Also, when going round the shifter pods, watch out for covering up any ‘holes’, the hood cover ‘dimples’ fit into (sorry, don’t know the tech jargon!)or you’ll end up with lumpy hoods.

iainc

if you leave out the shifter bits and do “figure of 8s”

remember if doing figure of 8’s you need to start off the opposite way at the drops from the Park version.

D0NK

My advice is take it to the LBS.
    One of the few things I don’t even think about doing myself, considering my first and only hamfisted attempt, the perfection that is my LBS’s version and the paltry couple of quid it costs.

annebr
    Free Member

I didn’t find it difficult at all. Watch the video example a few times and take it slow and steady.

stumpy01

I did it on my first road bike and it was fine. Watched a video a few times, did a few ‘dry runs’ and it was surprisingly easy.

I used the little bits that go round the shifters, which probably makes me some kind of heathen.

TiRed

One of my favorite jobs. As ainc says, wrap away from the headtube (anti-L clockwise-R). Keep the tape taught, use fig 8’s. You will mess up, but keep at it.

And don’t be tempted to overlap wraps too much.

iainc

wrap away from the headtube (anti-L clockwise-R). Keep the tape taught, use fig 8’s.

but remember if youre using the wee sticky bits and not fig 8’s go the other way

park tool instructions are good and I follow their approach of starting at bottom and clockwise on left, anticlockwise on right, which means that if you dont do figure of 8’s at the shifters then tape is corect way round on the tops.

🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New bar tape time’ is closed to new replies.