Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • new AM / Enduro wheel set
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

after many years of abuse my old trusty set of stans flows on hope pro 2’s have pretty much given up the ghost. hubs are fine but the rims are another story.

so after a new wheelset. happy to buy complete or get built up and might consider using my existing hubs as the pro 2’s have been bomb proof.

current set comes in around 1850 gr iirc so would like something lighter for all mountain use, occasional uplift day and half a dozen enduro races a year. run tubeless so they need to be easy to set up and i ride in the peak district most of the time so my wheel often get a fair battering on rock and me being 15 stone of not the most delicate rider.

budget around £500

any ideas? been looking at the DT Swiss EX 1501 – anyone got any experience (and know what the difference is between these and the EX 1750?)

jimjam
    Free Member

I would say crests on your current hubs. Except

ide in the peak district most of the time so my wheel often get a fair battering on rock and me being 15 stone of not the most delicate rider.

Which would make me say Flows. If you go lighter be prepared to true them more often and don’t expect them to last anywhere near as long. I don’t think there is a factory wheelset out there which will give you anything like the same durability, reliability, ease of repair and commonality of parts.

For your budget you could lace some Crests on to your existing hubs and still have money to buy some Flow EXs on ProIIs for uplifts/Enduros etc.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Try the wtb i23/i25 (either frequency or kom rims) the new easton heist (i think the rim is the arc) look good too

warns74
    Free Member

^^Crests???^^

“Crest is built for cross country and light trail use”

You might be able to get away with Arch EX but what you already have is what most will no doubt recommend. Id throw the Spank Oozy Evo and Trail 295 into the mix too, been very pleased with mine (also have Arch EX) and think the quality of the finish on the spank rims is better than the stans, but very happy with both.

stewartc
    Free Member

+1 for LightBicycle, though 38mm is a bit too wide!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

thanks for the replies so far.

did think about another set of flows as they’ve been great, but really would like to shed some weight off the wheels and the flow EX’s are actually heavier than my old set.

also toyed with the idea of the LB carbon rims, but put off by heavy rider, running tubeless at low pressures on lots of rock with carbon rims – i just don’t see how they would stand up to the abuse as well as some alu rims – however i’m more than happy to be wrong

any experience of Ryde trace rimes? been looking at these possibly built up on industry nine hubs (over budget, but would find the cash) and comes in about 1700 grm

jimjam
    Free Member

^Crests???^^

“Crest is built for cross country and light trail use”

You might be able to get away with Arch EX

God yes, what was I thinking. A Crest is a ludicrous suggestion. The Arch which according to Notubes is “The perfect rim for Aggressive XC and Trail”, is clearly a world apart, the difference is huge. /sarcasm.

Tyre pressure will make more of a difference.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’d question the wisdom of shedding weight from your wheels given how, where, and by whom they are ridden, and the state of your current rims!

smatkins1
    Free Member

If it comes into consideration at any point a few weeks ago I bought some 650b Hope Tech ‘Enduro’ wheels.

I think they are too narrow and they feel flexy in comparison to my 26″ Flow Ex’s. They also seem to be picking up slight buckles easily.

By some miracle I didn’t need to true my Flow Ex’s the whole 2years I had them, and they certainly didn’t have an easy life. Although the rear hub body did crack.

So if your Stans rims didn’t last you long, I’d steer clear of these.

njee20
    Free Member

Light Bicycle on your choice of width on DT350s.

fr0sty125
    Free Member
    sofaboy73
    Free Member

Light Bicycle on your choice of width on DT350s

how are they for durability – heavy rider, tubeless, carbon and rock just don’t seem to go together?

I’d question the wisdom of shedding weight from your wheels given how, where, and by whom they are ridden, and the state of your current rims!

you might be right, i seem to be at the upper end of max rider weight for some of the rims i’ve been looking at! to be fair, the flows gave me 3.5 year of use before self destructing, so if i have to get another set it’s not the end of the world. would really like to shift some weight though

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have Superstar Ultralite/Sentinels.
    Cost about £200 or something?
    Weigh about 1750g for the 29er set with a steel freehub body.

I’ve been battering the crap out of them on all kinds of rocks and they’ve been fine. I’m about 14 stone too.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Tactics are even stronger than sentinels so should be good.

warns74
    Free Member

God yes, what was I thinking. A Crest is a ludicrous suggestion. The Arch which according to Notubes is “The perfect rim for Aggressive XC and Trail”, is clearly a world apart, the difference is huge. /sarcasm.

Tyre pressure will make more of a difference

I wouldn’t have said ludicrous, but the OP asked for AM/Enduro recommendations and crests arent in that category, they are a lightweight XC rim?

I ride in the south, it’s not rocky or particularly hard on wheels yet I’ve folded a crest and the Arch EX’s have stood up to everything in the last 2 years and Im not small or light.

bennyb
    Free Member

Noticed no one has mentioned the Mavic enduro crossmax (the yellow ones!) I’ve been tempted by these, but see loads of riders at enduros with battered flat spots and knackard rims. I think the problem is width of the rear, only 19mm internal. I think the Mavic XL are better suited, but different price level. I’m enjoying the suggestions tho as I’m in the market and this is exactly the riding I do, I hammer the Peaks and race enduro. Anyone else recommend the hope’s??? How about a nukeproof rim???

euans2
    Free Member
    sofaboy73
    Free Member

i’m very tempted by these

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-ex-1501-spline-one-26-wheelset-142243/wg_id-507

i know the hubs will be good, but DT used to have a reputation for there rims being very soft – is this still the case or have they sorted it out?

looks like a decent price for the weight and like the look of the rim profile.

anyone know if they have a max recommend rider weight?.

really liked the look of the Ryde Enduro rims, but they only recommend for riders up to 220 pounds – which i’m touching in my riding kit

poah
    Free Member

the DT swiss from Zee germans would be my juice

sofaboy73
    Free Member

i’m very tempted by these

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-ex-1501-spline-one-26-wheelset-142243/wg_id-507

although it appears you can’t convert the EX1501 into 20mm thru axle which kind of kills that plan!

julzm
    Free Member

We’ve got the DT Swiss ex1501 and also WTB i23 team frequency rims on hope pro 2 hubs. Both have had a lot of abuse and run true. The WTBs had a broken spoke for about two weeks and were still fine. LBS fixed it no probs. the DT Swiss are a lovely looking wheel and really nice to ride although the graphics come off pretty quickly.

I keep thinking about buying another set of rims but hard to see what id buy that would be significantly better than these, they are really excellent. Just about to build up another bike this weekend, it’s getting hopetech enduros on pro 2 hubs. Used these before, they’re also really good although opinions seem to be mixed on them.

I know how to trash wheels. Roval Traversee did not survive my abuse. Mavic 521’s and Hope Tech Enduro do survive my abuse

matther01
    Free Member

Sofaboy – I’ve got 2 sets of American Classic All Mountains – (1650g) for sale. One set with the decals removed and all black spokes and another with white decals (both set up tubeless and with valves).

Email roberttaylormatthews@googlemail.com for pics etc

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘new AM / Enduro wheel set’ is closed to new replies.