Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Never mind N + 1 how do you do N MINUS 1 ???
  • oldfart

Damn Black Friday ! Ended up with ANOTHER bike 👿 So that makes FIVE now 🙄 Which one gets the chop ? 2 month old Process ? Not a chance , Ti 29er rare as superb H/T , no way , retro Kona s/s not worth a brass farthing but great fun bike . That leaves the Hummer , problem is it’s not on trend 🙄 So what it’s worth and what someone will pay for it is 2 entirely different figure . To sum up Retro for high days and holidays , 26 Ti for a quick blast , 29 Ti for all day winter gloop and the Process for big days out and destinations further afield and the newly acquired winter hack for work and local cafe runs . Decisions decisions ! 🙄

jam-bo

Have you got the space?
    Do you need the money?

oldfart

Yes No just the thought that at least one of the bikes (Hummer most likely ) will languish which will be a waste .

dudeofdoom

Mmm well i’ve experienced N-2 which I wouldn’t recommend 🙁

I tend to normally just retire the frame to the loft and use the bits on another.

(Well brakes and wheels – I do a fair bi of mileage so natural wear and tear sorts it out for me and I dont believe in winter hacks 🙂

I’d lose winter hack and ride something nice.

PS its a blatent lie nohing ever fits anyhing else I just say his to hide my addicion from mrs DoD.

cookeaa

I’ve managed to downsize recently (N-2) and actually found it to be quite a positive thing, more space in the garage, less maintenance and potential cost to worry about, more time riding the ones you’ve got.

You really need to base it on how much actual use the bike is getting.

If it’s barely being ridden, and it’s not because it’s a DH bike (they get a pass IMO), or due to a spell of injury, then really why are you hanging on to the thing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m now back up to 3 fully operational deathstars bikes so it’s a while before the dilemma

imnotverygood

I’m sorry, but I really can’t quite come to grips with the question.

oldfart

dudeofdoom trouble is the “winter hack”!is what I got on BF !!! Giant Revolt cross bike , £1000 reduced to £500 !

Kryton57

I’ve managed to downsize recently (N-2) and actually found it to be quite a positive thing, more space in the garage, less maintenance and potential cost to worry about, more time riding the ones you’ve got.

This. And with the proceeds I actually bought the right bike for my needs, no decision making required when it comes to ride day.

Northwind

I’ve become a bit harsh, if it doesn’t get ridden frequently AND also knock my socks off most rides, and it’s worth more than about a quid, it’s getting sold. Selling the rigid bike made me sad though.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m going N-2 at the moment based on having moved and not needing two of the bikes that are currently built up (here’s one of them 🙂 – happy to split/do a deal 🙂 ).

For the retro (95) one (or at least, the frame), I reckon it’ll just go in the attic because it’s just not worth any serious money for anyone else despite it being fine.

For the 853 inbred, I’d rather it got some use as it’s a brilliant bike though as the classifieds sale doesn’t seem to be going that well, I may consider just keeping that frame too…

So basically same issue as the OP, things have moved on in terms of standards even if fundamentally the older frames are still perfectly good still.

simonk
    Free Member

I am looking at going N-2 right now; I want to sell my cross bike and second mountain bike and getting a nice pair of wheels for the Surly for the summer. even with all the riding I do I cannot justify having two bikes sitting around almost unused, my Troll does it all so well.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Admin delete this thread..we don’t want any of this sort of bike reducing nonsense here.

rOcKeTdOg

Give one away

devash
    Free Member

Give one to me. I’m currently 4 weeks off the bike because apparently Rock Shox UK / Fishers don’t keep spare parts for warranty jobs. One of the perils of only owning one bike apparently. 🙁

medoramas
    Free Member

If I went N-1 I would be walking/running… 😆

Clink

Selling the Raijin per chance?

mamadirt
    Free Member

N-1? It can’t be done, no really, I’ve tried.

If it’s barely being ridden, and it’s not because it’s a DH bike (they get a pass IMO), or due to a spell of injury, then really why are you hanging on to the thing?

Y’see, DH bike only gets ridden a handful of times a year. Convinced myself earlier this month I could live without it so bought an older Stinky instead with a view to freeing up some cash . . . but it was the Stinky that ended up being stripped for ebay 😳 . Similar problem with my little ’67 Schwinn cruiser that sits on the kitchen worktop. Freakin’ deathtrap gets one or two summer outings and that’s it . . . but it cost megabucks to get it imported from Denver so it has to stay.

The other two, both singlespeeds (24″ DJ bike and short-travel 26er) get ridden loads but I seem to be missing a geared hardtail . . . here we freakin’ go again 😳

Life was so simple when all I had was the little red ‘bred . . .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Never mind N + 1 how do you do N MINUS 1 ???’ is closed to new replies.