Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Never drink in a flat roofed pub
  • johnx2
    Free Member

The Gaiety in Chappeltown, Leeds? Sounds quite nice. Roof not flat. Drinks served through a small hole in the strong mesh that fenced in the bar area. Like being in the zoo, in a dangerous animals enclosure. Gone now…

Spin
    Free Member

I worked just down the street from this in Glasgow and always knew it as the Albion Way but it seems to latterly have been the Woodville Airms. Either way, I believe it is now shut and possibly demolished.

Flat roof and no windows. No windows, what does that say about the aspirations of the clientele?

binners

I’ve been in a few of the Glasgow windowless places too. I did wonder why a lot had no, or minimal windows. I didn’t find it remotely intimidating. Honest! 😯

That pub above looks like someone has looked at the architectural delight that is O’Briens in Stretford Precinct (across the road from the Drum) and thought ‘that is truly beautiful! How could we possibly improve on that? I know…. lets lose the windows!”

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The crown in Stockport is under railway arches under the viaduct and that’s a belting pub.

johnx2
    Free Member

Spent a year living about five stories up from this place – Hyde Park flats, sheffield. They sold loaves of white bread behind the bar, and I remember the angles weren’t quite right somehow. But that could have been me.

balls, posted park hill pub not hyde park. It was this one but cant make it embed

https://goo.gl/images/L9c5P7

RustySpanner

jonnytheleyther – Member
    The crown in Stockport is under railway arches under the viaduct and that’s a belting pub.

I think that one’s gone now too.

Billy Greens in Collyhurst was my local when I worked at May’s Pawnbrokers round the corner.
    😐
    You could buy anything in there.
    I bought a brand new mattress, still in the packaging once, they even delivered it and gave me a lift home.
    I’d regularly get approached by people asking me if I knew the combination to the safe at work and would I be interested in earning a few quid.
    🙂

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

No the crown is still going strong thankfully.

deadkenny
    Free Member

CountZero

There’s a pub just along the road from me, called The Kingfisher, and it has all the hallmarks of a pub built to a brewery design, like some in that article, and while it’s on a fairly busy road that was a major trunk route, the A350, up until a few years ago, it’s surrounded by a number of housing estates that I think date from around the same period:

It’s recently undergone a fair bit of refurbishment, and it’s always pretty busy, plenty of people sit outside, and because it’s only a few minutes walk from the industrial estate where I used to work, it’s popular with people who get an hour for lunch, or for a quick pint after work.
    It’s a good mate of mines’ local as well, he lives about a two minute walk away, so he’s often there with a few mates for footy.

doris5000

The Gaiety in Chappeltown, Leeds? Sounds quite nice. Roof not flat. Drinks served through a small hole in the strong mesh that fenced in the bar area. Like being in the zoo, in a dangerous animals enclosure. Gone now…

first time i went to Leeds, i was going to a rave at the West Indian Centre in Chapeltown. Got the train over, hit a few pubs, jumped in a cab and asked him to take us to the venue. He pulled up at the side of a grassy field bit, pointed at a building 50 yards away and said ‘that’s it over there. I’m not going into Chapeltown, just walk across this field’.

You know you’ve picked a lively venue when you can’t even get a cab to take you there 😆

user-removed
    Free Member

I give you The Broadsword in Tillydrone, Aberdeen. Tried to buy pot in there once, and never again. At that time I lived in an even worse estate and was well used to dealing with violent, drug addled weirdos.

Two men charged with attempting to murder three people at Aberdeen bar

squirrelking
    Free Member

Haha, the mere mention of railway arches and Sharkeys crawls out the woodwork. Not a bad place, more of a working club feel to it though. Was the only pub the GCNS mob were “encouraged” to go to on that side of the river.

Other pub of note is Rockers on Midland Street, I think the furniture was honestly found in a skip.

Gary – No love for the Laurieston? (exception to the rule)

BoardinBob

The Laurieston is brilliant!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used to head to a couple of drinking holes at lunchtime when we were doing our day release college for apprenticeship at springburn college.

Either the masons or the Celtic club, both across the road, both flat roofs IIRC.

Not really particularly dodgy, generally just littered with sad, lovely old alcoholics.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

The Piper in Sale Moor (now a Tesco Express)
    You could go in here for a couple of afternoon pints and leave with Gillette razors, coffee, cheese, bacon, washing powder…

And on the other side of town, The Lively Lobster (now a Nisa store). Sometimes I wished I wasn’t in Greenall Whitley Land…

irc

The Laurieston is brilliant!

Last time I was in the landlord said the pint he gave me was the last in the barrel so he wouldn’t charge me. Looks a great pub though I’ve only been in a couple of times. The landlord has been in the pub game since the 1970s. Some nice pics on the walls from previous Maryhill pubs he ran.

binners

doris5000 – was that the ‘Dream’ all-nighters in Chapeltown? We went to one of those. I reckon we lasted about an hour. It was one of the most terrifying places I’ve ever been. We left when a huge gang-related thing started going off, big-time, and two gangs of man-mountains were legging it towards each other while pulling huge knives out of their jackets. We were out of there as fast as our little legs would carry us.

Going back to what Rusty said about being able to buy pretty much anything while sat having a pint, if the government ever want to get to a cashless economy, then they’ll have to close every flat-roofed pub in the country first 😆

johnx2
    Free Member

After my time but I think you’re thinking of the Continental Club, aka Roots, and after it was mysteriously ‘burnt down’ and reopened some time early 80s smelling of smoke and and what a local described to me as a likka paint (pronounce in a beer can for breakfast accent), aka the Phoenix Club.

Had it’s rougher aspects but students went there (I went as a schoolie). Same could not be said for Cliff’s Blues across the way. Redstripe through the kitchen hatch. Jumpers for goalposts.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

The Gallowgate in Glasgow surely must have the highest concentration of flat roof pubs anywhere in the UK.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbh, the hullaballoo regarding pubs shutting down, I’ve no issue with – the pubs locally in town that have shut have either shut because they were shite, or there were just too many pubs in the vicinity.

Sadly, a few good rural country pubs have gone too, but that seems to be down to people drinking and driving less, so I can accept that as the lesser of two evils.

When Wetherspoons opened in in town in the old Woolies, pubs were shitting themselves. In reality, it’s been a boon to them, as there are far more folks drinking in the town now, they all get the same folks spreading the cash about.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The Gallowgate in Glasgow surely must have the highest concentration of flat roof dodgy pubs anywhere in the UK.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My old local. Sorely missed. We drink elsewhere now but its not the same.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R3Yi4L]IMG_6552[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PZPn3J]IMG_6548[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

these pictures are gold

binners

I’m taking it that Didcot’s Premier Cocktail Lounge isn’t too hotly contested a mantle? 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Gary – No love for the Laurieston? (exception to the rule)

It’s been a long time since I’ve been in there. It’s been refurbished recently, looks quite swish now and has a captive market now the sou’wester is closed 🙂

BoardinBob

Back in my youth when I played in my local boozer’s pool team, I always looked forward to our away fixture at The Murray Bar 😥

https://goo.gl/maps/yhFwrc8JYT72

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2DDc1NNkJI[/video]

NoBeerInTheFridge, in the heart of deepest, darkest Shortlees!

BoardinBob

Actually, we have a winner.

The Pollok Inn 😯

https://goo.gl/maps/V5PEHbfLWG42

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooft, I’ve never even been to Shortlees, never mind that pub. Think I’ll keep it that way.

In my pool days, pretty much any pub in the bottom end of Stevenston was a ‘fun’ night…

BoardinBob

The Pink Parakeet in Hurlford was another belter

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The Pink Parakeet in Hurlford was another belter

I believe they had buckfast on tap? ooft…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

binners – Member
    I’m taking it that Didcot’s Premier Cocktail Lounge isn’t too hotly contested a mantle?

😀 Lets just say the landlord had a sense of humour.

binners

Buckfast on tap, and the flat-roofed pub are surely truly natural bedfellows?

I can only imagine the level of violence on an average night 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

The Lauriston and Sharkeys are decent enough pubs. Brazens alright anawl, no as nuts as it used to be. Dirty Nellys upstairs, now that was a scary place! 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buckfast on tap, and the flat-roofed pub are surely truly natural bedfellows?

I can only imagine the level of violence on an average night

Tbh, all of the dodgy pubs I’ve been in over the years, I’ve never had any bother. If it’s bother ye want, yates/spoons type places, in any big provincial town on a saturday night are your best bet.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    The Gallowgate in Glasgow surely must have the highest concentration of flat roof dodgy pubs anywhere in the UK.

Gallowgate is indeed a shithole. Canny say i’ve ever felt in trouble in them though, then again I do come from the right side of the tracks. I clearly wouldn’t go near/survive any of the rangers/ more colourful paisley road pubs mentioned! 😆 Though the stanley bar just behind paisley road is a fine republican stronghold! 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gallowgate is indeed a shithole. Canny say i’ve ever felt in trouble in them though, then again I do come from the right side of the tracks. I clearly wouldn’t go near any of the rangers/paisley road pubs mentioned!

I reckon you’d be fine, I’ve drank in many a Celtic pub, as long as yer no singin’!

Used to go to a pub in Ardrossan (was about the only place we could get served!) as a lad, was a right Bluenose pub, and there was one Celtic fan who drank in there with his mates. When the OF game was on telly, he would be going bonkers if Celtic scored, I can hand on heart say I never ever saw him getting any bother.

I tend to think the phukwits that cause bother after OF games are the type that would cause bother anyway, the fitba is just something to use as some sort of bizarre justification.

I’d happily venture into Bairds, widnae bother me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Tbh I think timing is a big thing, you go in through the week when normal regulars are in, go in with a crowd that know you aye fine, but at the wrong time, when lets say emotions are up, it just takes one bam to cause it though. I know a few rangers fans that drink in my local celtic pub, they just make themselves scarce at obvious times. i’d imagine a similar thing on the other side.

I’m no really into finding out though, I just wouldn’t feel confortable in a rangers pub.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Pretty sure Durty Nellies closed a long time ago, I could be wrong though. A few of my young female colleagues drink in the braze, but I work in the gorbals and it’s their local.

but at the wrong time, when lets say emotions are up, it just takes one bam to cause it though.

n

Same with any pub though, look at the wrong person in what they consider the wrong way and you’ll get grief anywhere.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m no really into finding out though, I just wouldn’t feel confortable in a rangers pub.

Neither do I any more tbh, canny be arsed wi it these days. Better off out on the bike.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye nelly shut early 2000s sometime i think, i was only ever in it once, proper scary, brazen I’ve always thought alright, but has had it’s issues over the years. it’s a pub that attracted loads of non locals though cause of the music.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Never drink in a flat roofed pub’ is closed to new replies.