Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)
  • Neighbour commuting by tractor and causing a nuisance – WWSTD?
  • oldracer
    Free Member

Cougar nails it..

Cougar

That’s what she said.

ampthill

Do you think its possible that he doesn’t want to leave the tractor on the farm as he doesn’t want it to get nicked?

I’m just trying to work out why he commutes be tractor

I have to say that those hours do seem incredible. Does he keep this up for most of the year?

singletrackmind

He comes home at 10.30 pm having spent the last 4 hrs drinking Cider in the pub.

In the good old days I did actually threaten to kill a milkman who went from a near silent electric milk float to a DI Transit which he used to leave running underneath my bedroom window at stupid o clock in the morning. He parked up round the corner from then on.

ajantom

Do you think its possible that he doesn’t want to leave the tractor on the farm as he doesn’t want it to get nicked?

I’m just trying to work out why he commutes be tractor

I have to say that those hours do seem incredible. Does he keep this up for most of the year?

@ampthill – BTW your user name is extremely apt, I live at Ampthill house (sounds posher than it is!)

He may not want to get it nicked, but I’m sure there are barns or sheds he could park it in. Is tractor theft a big thing?

He maybe doesn’t do such long hours in winter, maybe 6.30 am until 9pm or so. But the 4.30/5am start and back at 10-11pm has been going on for a couple of months at least. Obviously more noticeable now we’re leaving windows open too. It does very much seem to be sunrise to just past sunset.

This morning he left at 5am, and as I type this he’s not back yet. Though one of their cats has just popped over to poo on our lawn!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Though one of their cats has just popped over to poo on our lawn!

and people will try and tell you that cats are hard to train.

ajantom

and people will try and tell you that cats are hard to train.

My god, he is playing a long game 😯

CountZero

Fair enough if you lived next door to the farm, you should have had that expectation when purchasing the property but in a residential area screw that.

The farmer can probably remember when that was all fields.
    Possibly his…
    Farmers sell up, fields are either bought by developers, or other farmers sometimes miles away who get in contractors with huge 4×4 tractors to work the fields.

ajantom

He’s just turned up. Quite quick tonight – the drive must be clear for once.

Cougar

a) whoTF steals tractors?

b) leaving it running to “warm up” unattended for several minutes every morning is surely a bigger risk?

godzilla
    Free Member

What type of tractor is it, Modern or vintage?

tjagain

Tractors and farm machinery get stolen a lot. Valuable and hard to trace and easy to sell

to me this is classic nimbyism

ajantom

I’m never going to get my marking done at this rate 😉
    s’okay I love a bit of procrastination, and it’s only Yr7 work anyway.
    I’m always more active on the forum when it’s marking/reports/department plan/appraisal time.

@godzilla – It’s a modern tractor, 62 plate I think. Not sure on the make, but it’s a lovely blue colour. Not big on tractors, but it looks like a good bit of kit, decent size too.

Seriously, if I lived next to, or even near a farm I wouldn’t give it another thought. But he’s driven this bloody thing to and from work every day for the last year!

I’m not that pissed off really. Just though the ST massive might find it amusing (and it seems they do) and it annoys me enough to need a bit of a moan. Because, being British, that’s all I’ll ever actually do. God forbid that I actually try to talk to him again *shivers*

johndoh
    Free Member

a) whoTF steals tractors?

Agricultural theft is big business. Tractors, 4x4s, quad bikes etc.

seadog101

They say you dont understand what its like to be a farmer? They don’t understand what it’s like to be a townsperson…

funkmasterp

TBH i’m surprised he’s got time to upset the neighbours. farmers are usually busy burying asbestos and burning plastic this time of year aren’t they?

Don’t forget collecting old tyres. This takes a lot of time, effort and energy and is a nationwide farming competition. Big prizes involved for the most tyres covering a massive tarpaulin.

Agricultural theft is big business. Tractors, 4x4s, quad bikes etc.

There’s your answer OP. Quit being a teacher and join the lucrative world of agriculture vehicle theft. If his tractor is as nice as you’ve described, surely the local fence for farm machinery will spread the word. Soon your mad skillz in stealing fancy tractors will have you living the high life.

ajantom

They say you dont understand what its like to be a farmer? They don’t understand what it’s like to be a townsperson

I’m neither fowl nor fish. Brought up rural, but I tasted the fruit of urban plenty in the dizzying metropolis of Exeter for too long, I can’t go back now.

welshfarmer

Tractor theft is a big thing. You would think that with a small cheap budget tractor costing around £30K and anything in the normal size in use today being about £60-80K that security would be a big deal. However, most tractors can still be started with a common key (I think there are only about 3 or 4 different keys in use by some manufacturers. It may be changing but things like immobilizers and alarms are not commonly fitted to tractors. I just had a new clutch fitted in my Massey at the local dealers. When I collected it it had a different key in it. I had to go back to the office and swap it for mine (I preferred my key ring 🙂 )

Junkyard
    Free Member

is there a lot of people keen on being woken up really early by their neighbours inconsiderate actions?

ajantom

I think there are only about 3 or 4 different keys in use by some manufacturers. It may be changing but things like immobilizers and alarms are not commonly fitted to tractors

I’m so nicking me a tractor!
    And it just so happens there’s a lovely blue one opposite.

ctk
    Free Member

Did not know the tractor/key thing!

Maybe that’s why he blocks it in?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

New Holland? (Big blue tractor).
    I must admit if I spent £60k on a tractor I’d want to drive it all the time as well! 😆

kaiser
    Free Member

ignore the liberals on here . He’s being a selfish ignorant **** who needs to learn about being considerate towards others but sounds like he never will. . I dislike unreasonable nimbys but you don’t sound like one .Waking people up with loud machinery in a residential area on a regular basis is not acceptable and i’d speak to the local authorities and to hell with the consequences . I feel like popping over to Ottery right now and having a little chat with the moron but I’d probably end up in court. As you’ve guessed I hate inconsiderate people and ruining peoples’ sleep is a major intrusion . Grass the wxxxer for red diesel usage outside allowed limits . Not a nice thing to do but sounds like you’ve no choice unless you can ignore it or kill him. Good luck

binners

It seems pretty obvious that you need to kill him. The only question is how to dispose of the body?

And a quick respray and you’ve got your very own tractor. How cool is that?!

perchypanther
    Free Member

It seems pretty obvious that you need to kill him. The only question is how to dispose of the body?

Eat him.

It’s the West Country. No one will judge you. 😉

ajantom

I do know a good butcher. He runs his own restaurant too, might be time for some special meat on the menu.

luke
    Free Member

I come from a large extended family of farmers who are spread across several small towns in East Devon and also Somerset, best keep my head down.

ajantom

But you’re a cycling farmer. The best kind 😉

zokes
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    Tractors and farm machinery get stolen a lot. Valuable and hard to trace and easy to sell

Agree on both counts. Tractors are not exactly out of place in rural settings, even rural towns. They are also rather expensive and incredibly easy to pilfer.

By all means get the council involved, but in a rural setting do you honestly think they’ll come down against a farmer?

aracer
    Free Member

If it was me complaining, you might have a point, but from the sounds of things the OP doesn’t live in a tiny village surrounded by farms like me. The question is what sort of noise pollution would be unacceptable at those hours, and who do farmers get special dispensation?

MrOvershoot

singletrackmind – Member

He comes home at 10.30 pm having spent the last 4 hrs drinking Cider in the pub.

smiffy

Please cite the case and the law, cheers.

Literally the first hit on a google search was this

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-13805083

Not a school playing field but still, close enough.

The article is not clear what the offence is, and appears to have misled some that the mowing of the field with red was the offence. Of course there is no such offence. Driving to the sports field on red would be the offence.

globalti
    Free Member

Late to the thread as always but we’ve faced this problem with pikeys who moved in next door and life became intolerable with all the dogs, drug dealing and all-night raves.

The only answer is to move house. Sorry.

cranberry
    Free Member

If he is drinking and tractoring each night then let the police know which pub he drinks in and what time he leaves.

He won’t be doing much tractoring with a driving ban.

Del

maccruiskeen

If he is drinking and tractoring each night then let the police know which pub he drinks in and what time he leaves.

Thats right – call the police and tell them that some people on a cycling forum have made a humorous inference from something not written in the OP about a guy who drives about in a tractor.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If he is drinking and tractoring each night then let the police know which pub he drinks in and what time he leaves

Best. Car chase. Ever.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Wait a minute, if you think you should put up with noise, that makes you a ‘liberal’? Jeez, I’ve been approaching this whole politics thing all wrong. Thanks Kaiser!

kaiser
    Free Member

maybe the wrong word ..not meant politically ..just trying to point to people who think anything is OK. As someone said ..those who think it’s unreasonable to complain would soon be whining in the same situation after interrupted sleep on a regular basis.

councilof10
    Free Member

Is that the tractor they chase you with if you ‘jump bale’?

I’ve just realised that the OP is a teacher… You’re finished by half-three, so why not have a little siesta then you only need a few hours at night? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour commuting by tractor and causing a nuisance – WWSTD?’ is closed to new replies.