Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New laptop recommendations
  • stevelolly
    Free Member

Hi , need to get myself a new laptop and could do with some recommendations . Looking to spend around £600 and after spending a while looking I’m drawn to the Dell Inspiron 15R special edition that lists at £629
    It comes in at £566 with discount through Quidco but only valid until tomorrow .
    Its actually going to replace my ageing pc but only need it for leisure use , Internet , photo , music etc so think this would be more than up to the job but I’m open to other recommendations .
    Cheers .

mikey74
    Free Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R, and it’s a good laptop: It’s fast, decent storage, a good size, good stock software. However, I do think the screen could be better, and the build quality doesn’t feel that good.

I also got mine to replace my PC, and it has been excellent so far: It handles photo processing (including RAW processing) very well, DVD ripping is fast, multi-media stuff is handled very well.

So far, no regrets, apart from the slight build quality issue, although this doesn’t subtract from it’s performance.

stevelolly
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply , sounds good . Have to say i’m no expert and i’ve looked at that many that its hard to pick the best most up to date model for the money . If money was no object I would have a mac book as I love the os and user experience but just can’t get over how much more expensive they are than a similar spec laptop 🙁 .

mikey74
    Free Member
    vorlich
    Free Member

You can thank me later

+1

Macbook Air

tinsy
    Free Member

+2
    buy a mac, the whole experience is just nicer & worth the extra.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

buy a mac, the whole experience is just nicer & worth the extra.

only if you can join the circle w*nk

Dell 15r is a good laptop. running the 17 here at a slightly lower spec. As I use it for some fairly intensive work and now wafting myself esteem it’s a good work horse. You can also upgrade the RAM and HS without ripping it to pieces (enough mac crap).

Good solid delivered well. Make recovery media when you get it as it comes with no discs but this is standard these days.

ericemel
    Free Member

If you cannot stretch to a macbook I would get something on the dell outlet – bargains to be had

Remmeber with apple you can get educational discount (£729 for basic air) – or someone can get it for you. I even get it as a CIMA student which is bonkers

tinsy
    Free Member

only if you can join the circle w*nk

Where do I sign up?

stevelolly
    Free Member

Think I could get the discount as my lad is just going up to 6th form but as much as I like the mac book air could it really replace a pc as the main computer in the home ? The wife has an ipad as well . I’ve loads of photo’s stored on disc so would aneed to get around that , I know its possible but adds to the price .

vorlich
    Free Member

Pull the disk with all the photos on out of the old laptop and buy a caddy for £10 from ebuyer to stick it in. Plug into Macbook via USB. Sorted.

MBA is a very capable computer.

chvck
    Free Member

ts actually going to replace my ageing pc but only need it for leisure use , Internet , photo , music etc so think this would be more than up to the job but I’m open to other recommendations .

Cheap desktop filled with disks for photos etc… and then some form of tablet or cheap notebook imo!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New laptop recommendations’ is closed to new replies.