Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Need a new car…
  • Tiger6791

Gonna sell the 110 🙁

Need something that’s safe for 2 kids, can transport bikes, cheap, reliable etc.

I drive about 2000 miles a year max.

£5000 budget

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

how about the impreza sportwagon that’s for sale on here? Only cheap and although it’ll be a bit thirsty on fuel it’s otherwise a good buy.

khani
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Lol @ suggesting an impreza!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Focus,

but not a 1.8 petrol as the MPG is sh*T!

Tiger6791

Think a Focus may be a winner or maybe an A3

stevemtb
    Free Member

With that annual mileage you’ll get an absolutely cracking big petrol car at the moment as no one wants them. No point in the savings you’ll make on a diesel so I’d suggest something like a T5 Volvo estate.

Have a look the diesel variant against the petrol from various makers and you’ll be surprised how much younger and better spec you’ll get from petrol.

molgrips
    Free Member

I still wouldn’t get a big thirsty car. It’s a waste of money, albeit a waste of less money. Insurance, servicing and tax will all be more.

I’d get something really boring like a small petrol Focus, Kia or Nissan or something. Stuff no-one else wants 🙂

Are your journeys lots of short trips or fewer long ones?

hora
    Free Member

Stevemtb is bang on. Plus you like a bit of character?

Tiger6791

So following Stevemtb and going a touch above budget

How’s this look 🙂

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201110381492728

hora
    Free Member

Ha I was actually thinking A6 estate 2.7 or 2.5TDI

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

5k budget???

5lab

i’d be looking at something like this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201109380967053/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/body-type/estate/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/price-to/5000/make/volvo/radius/1500/postcode/bn24dp/page/2?logcode=p

basically, a high milage large engined petrol car. Less popular the better – have a look at the mondeo with the same engine – probably worth pennies

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Lol @ suggesting an impreza!

It wouldn’t have been such a daft idea, the car was a good price to start with & reliable + has a bit more space then a focus, etc, for kids/bikes/etc…
    As it’s not the chavvy turbo model so is fairly basic & as he’s coming from a 110 (I assume the LR Defender?), the OP will be used to the agricultural design aspects! It is, however, sold, so that ends that…

molgrips
    Free Member

Imprezas aren’t really cheap to run are they? And the desirability still attracts a premium even if it’s not the turbo…

Hairychested
    Free Member
    Cougar
    CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

2000 miles a year and £5k budget. Definitely petrol not diesel. Break even point for diesel over petrol is somewhere around 15k miles per year. Focus petrol, or slightly older Golf

mudshark
    Free Member

Some sort of Skoda? 😉

hora
    Free Member

A 178k Legacy? I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole!

Pieface

Cougar 😀

Tiger6791

Probe 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEv3q-ViieQ[/video]

I’m a Tiger grrrrrr

djglover
    Free Member

This is STW, has anyone suggested spending 3K on a car and the other 2 on a bike, has any one recommended an Octivia? Has thisisnotaspoon recommended an mg midget?

If not why not

stevemtb
    Free Member

Mg ZT:

MG ZT

Matches your remit perfectly and leaves enough cash for a new bike! Lot of parts and engine borrowed from BMW I believe (hopefully they won’t want them back!).

Leadfold

mcobie
    Free Member

I’m selling a 2005 Mondeo Estate with 72,000 miles on the clock – looking for around the £5k mark 😀 Will fit three bikes and kit and bodies INSIDE for a weekend away without much trouble…best bike friendly car I’ve owned.

The only “issue” is that it’s a ST220…but my lord it is bags and bags of fun 🙂

This is a bit tongue in cheek – but if you do want details let me know and I’ll supply a full spec (which is pretty long TBH).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Need a new car…’ is closed to new replies.