• This topic has 100 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by bens.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • NBD, it appears i’ve just bought an Eeb.
    weeksy

It rose plenty today at FoD, even the boy loves it.

zerocool

Bets on Weeksy getting a full fat web by Easter? 😉. 

weeksy

We have one, the Liv. I’ve ridden several others, I’m a no

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I’ve only just found this thread, glad it finished the way it started, if a little delayed. 

weeksy

Well, it does mean that we’ve still got a broken (being repaired) Liv at the moment that may still be insanely expensive (IMO), but it’s now possible that we may punt that out after and when Mrs Weeksy wants to get out, she can ride the Orbea anyway. But that’s not a decision to be had until we hear back on how the Liv is getting on.

Tracey

You might want to hang on to the Liv as you may need it to catch him when he disappears on yours 🤣

weeksy

It’s a Liv, not a jet-fighter :)

weeksy

IMG_20231206_094352 by Steve Weeks[/url], on Flickr

Out this morning getting some testing/practice in, both on me and trying out goggles. Got a race this weekend (on the Trek) and it needs Full Face, i’m not a massive fan of full-faces in terms of riding, but needs must. I didn’t have long and it’s crazy muddy so thought i’d just throw a few laps on the Orbea.
    I’ve adjusted the brakes so they’re now a lot softer at the lever, which has helped a lot on the front as it wasn’t very responsive when i was riding on Sat. But a lot happier now with it.

I’m hoping to get out on the Trek on Thurs-Sat, but the weather isn’t looking ideal at the moment for riding.

weeksy

We have checked your motor over and please find attached some images of the inside and costs to repair.

No water ingress but worn bearings and dirty gears so you caught it just in time as they are just about to start letting water through. We would advise an overhaul at this point. Electrically there is nothing wrong with your motor as we have tested it on our controller and no faults and it walks on demand and soes not do its own thing like on your new controller. Your old controller is definitely faulty and we have tried that on another known good motor and it does not work. It looks like the new controller you bought though is not compatible with the older motor. We have tried it on our other Giant motor, same age as yours and it plays up on that too. It looks like you need to find an older control as a replacement.

So that’s mostly great… the rebuild is £300, so we’ll have to suck that up, but could be a LOT worse.

I let the person know at Giant Bike spares and thet’ve checked with the Giant Techs and their controller supplied is compatible with my bike, but could need a Firmware re-flash by Giant Dealer, so it’s booked in with AW Cycles for that. If that fixes it fully that would be ace.

SSS
    Free Member

Good news all round. Refurbed bike motor, less than expected and £600 spare for other bike stuff (or food/bills :D )

Are you going to keep using the Liv or keep it safe in the garage now the Orbea is here?

Tracey

That’s great news. 👍
    You only need one more for those family fun day pootles 🤣🤣🤣

weeksy

Are you going to keep using the Liv or keep it safe in the garage now the Orbea is here?

In truth, i’ve not got that far into the thoughts. The Orbea is a lot nicer than the Liv, but the Liv is actually a pretty functional thing when it’s running nice. It’s not poppy etc, but it’s got decent power and with the Fox36s on it’s far from terrible.
    But i’d always pick up the Orbea before it..

Maybe if me and the boy want some lap smash time we might do though.

weeksy

Well the FW Flash completely fixed the Liv… arguably we could have got away with the FW and controller and not touched the motor and sold the bike… But it’s now got a fully rebuilt and serviced motor which can only be a good thing.

I guess the question now is…. What do we do with it?

Truth is, I don’t really know. It could be argued it’s the wifes bike so she can do whatever she likes with it, it’s not like i’d be getting the money for it anyway. But the reality is, she’s unlikely to ride it and if she needed an Eeb, then she could have the Orbea anyway.
    But on the flip side, the Liv is a decent enough heavy FF ebike… with the Fox 36s in there it can hustle along well enough and now i know how the cable routing on it works i could arguably swap the crappy Tektro brakes for the CodeRs which would make it better again.

Not sure is the honest answer.

kelvin

Orbea just hit the sweet spot between more go, but feeling like a bicycle on the downs

That describes the Rise perfectly.

weeksy

Off to get the bike re-restricted tomorrow. I could have arguably bought the tool to drop the motor but i may as well get it done at a shop and they can unlock the Shimano app too as my mate has forgotten then PIN for it lol.

I’m likely going to race it sometime, maybe the Haibike Weds Enduros at BPW and it can’t be used if it’s derestricted.

weeksy

All done and sorted, simple enough job… well, if you have the right tool.

weeksy

So the Eeb hasn’t had much riding done in truth, partly as i’ve been at BPW, Dyfi but also some man-flu. The boy did an afternoon on it at the local, getting 3X his usual number of runs in before it went dark. Some of the things he can hit… Jeezy.

It’s not been without a few minor quirks though. The rear hub is garbage, Orbea built these in Covid times and there were not many hubs apparently so they fitted the cheapest crappest rear hub possible. It’s currently waiting for a warranty from Orbea so i picked up a Hope Pro5 from my LBS (Rotec Cycles) and that’s now in there.

While in there we also noticed the rockers arm ‘play’ that seems to plague the 3 piece linkage on the Rise. So that’s also in for discussion with Orbea on warranty, but i took it all apart and put together in the right sequence and it’s currently solid, so not the end of the world at the moment.

I’m taking to FoD for the day tomorrow while the boy is on uplift and race practice, so it’ll get walloped around the Red then over to Dowies and a few runs on Rubber Duck hopefully. Then it’ll get brought out again on Sunday as it’s the pit-bike for carrying all his kit/warmers etc to the top while he waits for race runs. He likes to race in just his jersey so he gets the van up and i carry at the kit up and down.

superstu
    Free Member

Known issue with the occam is the shock bolt being made of aluminium. They sell a replacement steel for £10 (same again for postage from the EU).

spannermonkey

Maybe look at Cascade Components rocker pre-load kit and/or replacement rocker link?

Orbea Suspension Links

weeksy

Orbea are swapping a few under warranty to the new 2 piece linkage. The Cascade is better but still uses the same splined center piece which does at times wear. I’ll see what Orbea see first before jumping into anything, their 2 piece seems to resolve the issue fairly well.

I think the Cascade stuff is reduced on EU store at the moment too.

bens
    Free Member

I think the Cascade stuff is reduced on EU store at the moment too.

I got excited for a minute. Looks like the EU site doesn’t deliver to the UK though which means instead of €190 for the link inluding the preload kit, it’s $380 from the US. Presumably plus import and VAT

Crazy and annoying in equal measure.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.