Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Naughty girl at the track
  • twisty

I’ve only just seen this one

It seems pretty blatent that Virginie Cueff just went ballistic and tried to barge Laurine van Riessen off the track, taking out two other riders and eventually herself in the process.

I am really curious as to if any action is taken against riders when they do nasty stuff or do the officials just let them keep on racing in the other events.

Very impressive wall riding skills from Laurine van Riessen, amazing that she stayed upright!

aP
    Free Member

Why would you think that she’s done that deliberately?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cueff just went ballistic

Eh?

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t see that as being the case at all. There’s an accident and it seems like Virginie Cueff is having her own accident alongside several other women and Laurine van Riessen gets caught up in it.

twisty

Why would you think that she’s done that deliberately?

Have you seen the video? Cueff leans into Riessen barging her until she reaches the very top of the track and has pushed Riessen onto the advertising hordings. What other explanation is there?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Cueff is falling off. Riessen is in the way.

You don’t ride much track?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

She’s going very fast, she’s on a fixed wheel bike which has no brakes, there’s a bit of argy-bargy, jostling for position, defending your line etc, she lent too far defending her line, then she lost control, presumably when the other person relented. It’s just a high speed accident, not some malicious attempt on another rider

twisty

TBH I have never ridden velodrome. Maybe I should try one day 🙂

I appreciate they are going fast on fixies etc but to me it looks suspicious because she ‘falls’ up the track and oh so conveniently recovers just when she runs out of track and not before or after.

So it just looks like a normal fall, nothing suspicious?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m just trying to imagine how ‘Cueff’ is pronounced

theotherjonv

That was my joke from a week ago and no-one laughed then either.

I thought she looked like she was blowing out of her…….

nickc

Hanlon’s Razor?

I don’t think she was doing it on purpose

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cueff takes out Riessen deliberately. I don’t do track but i’m not blind either. From the very start of the video Cueff leans into Riessen and then you can see her increase the pedalling effort to push her up the track. Only at the top does Cueff back off the pedals when she has pushed Riessen off the track.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think it’s more like Kiwi rider crashes, Cueff starts to go down but Riessen catches her and they’re then leaning on each other and what you see happens as if Cueff leans away she’s going to have Riessen falling on her. Having ridden some track I doubt anyone in their right mind would try to take someone out like that as the risk is huge. I think Riessen actually went on to finish and Cueff crashed right after those pictures.

JAG

I agree with the OP and I wondered why she wasn’t investigated at the time.

If you watch the video from the very start you’ll see that no-one crashes until the French rider appears to lose her balance and swerves to the right. She immediately makes contact with the Dutch rider and begins pushing her up the banking.

The French rider then causes the rider in Yellow/Red to crash and then the French rider continues up the track and pushes the Dutch girl onto the fence around the track where she seems to regain control of her bike and then moves back down the banking.

I’ve no idea why all this happened but it was definitely the French riders error/mistake that caused the whole mess.

atlaz
    Free Member

How do you know the incident wasn’t looked at? I’m sure if the commisaires thought she’d deliberately caused a crash she’d have been sanctioned either immediately after the crash or since.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And they will have had FAR more video to look at. And several angles.

maccruiskeen

Very impressive wall riding skills from Laurine van Riessen, amazing that she stayed upright!

Or horizontal even

The TV cameras didn’t really get good angles of it but there are a few still photos that are perhaps the best pics of the whole games (if you ignore all the ones of divers and gymnasts pulling sex faces)

.. and a better one here that doesn’t hotlink

not least perhaps because they managed to capture a rare moment where there was some people had bought tickets to watch 😆

MoreCashThanDash

People reading too much into it. All the people who know about these things said at the time it was a racing incident and not deliberate. Might have been rash, might have been careless, but not deliberate.

Mr Cavendish is prone to similar moments in the heat of a race.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Cueff leans into Riessen barging her until she reaches the very top of the track and has pushed Riessen onto the advertising hordings.

Go ride the track yourself and try riding round the banking at slow speed while leaning to the inside rather than outside like Cueff. Take a video so we can see how you get on.

iainc

^^^^ hahaha, yes, that would be a good vid 🙂

I think there is a lack of appreciation of the speed and momentum required to ride the bankings of a velodrome. Even with sticky tubs, there is a pretty fast minimum speed below which gravity rules…

twisty

Really I am interested in insight as to how the officials deal with this stuff. Do they review automatically or does a competitor need to lodge an objection. Do they interview the people involved afterwards, what is the burden of proof, what kind of sanctions are taken, etc.

Based on my completely unqualified view of the limited evidence available to me : I still think that there was some intent from Cueff to barge Riessen off the track, as an over-reaction to earlier jostling. But this is on the balance of probabilities, and not certainly not beyond reasonable doubt.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Naughty or otherwise..

They’re women. Not girls.

nickc

I still think that there was some intent from Cueff

but you do accept that it’s been looked at by scores of folk way more qualified than you, who were there at the time, had access to the competitors and multiple video angles in which to decide that it was nothing more than “stuff that happens during a race”

right?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Its a keirin. They are fighting for position, elbows, shoulders and a bit of leaning/nudging are pretty much expected.

A keirin where no one touched anybody would be pretty dull.

Cueff tries to edge Riessen out, touches (within the rules), Riessen moves over/out a bit faster than Cueff is expecting and she then ends up leaning the wrong way (leaning the wrong way on the banking, at speed is a surefire way to end up in casualty) luckily (?) Riessen is in the way, so she doesn’t hit the deck, shes riding pretty much on the outer edge of the tyre on a curved banking (so to even go straight she’d have had to turn the bars a far way.) shes also got her weight totally off centre (i know you MTB gods could correct at a moments notice, but she’s only a world class track rider).
    So they end up crabbing across the track, until it flattens out and she’s got a bit more grip/better balance to correct. Then she hits the deck anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

Based on my completely unqualified view of the limited evidence available to me

…I’m on STW so I will argue that you are wrong.

You guys kill me. 😆

wwpaddler
    Free Member

You need to be very careful when viewing slo-mo replays as our brains can’t differentiate between slo-mo and real time. The slo-mo exaggerates our perception of intent and we then overlay that intent into our interpretation of the event. If you only watch the real time footage you won’t see the intent as it’s not possible to formulate the intent and the plan in the time available.

mrhoppy

There is no benefit to her doing that at that stage of the race, she’s still in a strong position to go through as one of the top 3. At best it’d have dropped her out of qualifying positions, as it was she crashed and the Dutch rider stayed upright but finished 4th. Bear in mind that there has been research that proves seeing slo-mo increases the perception of intent in a person’s actions.

It looks like she drops onto the blue inner track and spins out slightly losing her balance causing her to veer across. She doesn’t get stable until nearly the top of the banking and then steers out, but she can’t cut hard down the track as that could cause an even bigger crash.

twisty

Naughty or otherwise..

They’re women. Not girls.
    It is that much of an obvious faux pas. I have witnessed female humans in their mid-twenties taking offence to being referred to as women rather than girls.

but you do accept that it’s been looked at by scores of folk way more qualified than you, who were there at the time, had access to the competitors and multiple video angles in which to decide that it was nothing more than “stuff that happens during a race”

right?
    I do not accept this; because I do not know if it has been investigated or not; or if a decisive decision has been made, or not; or if there was such a decision that the decision noted was that it was “stuff that happens during a race”.

craigxxl
    Free Member

GM, very optimistic way of looking at it.

Cueff at the start of video is on the Cote D’Azure and leans onto Riessen to get back on the track but doesn’t stop until she has pushed her to the top of track taking out taking out the Spanish rider. Another rider (white/blue/pink) takes avoiding action and takes out the New Zealand rider.

Might not have been any judgement against Cueff but it seems pretty clear what happened if you watch the video slowly from the start.

fasthaggis

Based on my completely unqualified view of the limited evidence available to me

…I’m on STW so I will argue that you are wrong.

4 sure 🙂

and this

Go ride the track yourself and try riding round the banking at slow speed while leaning to the inside rather than outside like Cueff. Take a video so we can see how you get on.

😆

#TVwatchingtrackracingexperts

craigxxl
    Free Member

Everyone else in that video must be doing it wrong too as only Cueff is leaning the to the outside and taking out the other riders in the process.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

If it wasn’t investigated then that means the people involved didn’t think it needed investigation and is just one of those things that happen in a track race.

If it was investigated then as no sanctions have been taken against any riders the conclusion of the investigation must have been “it’s one of those things that happens in a track race”

How is this so difficult to accept?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It is that much of an obvious faux pas.

…it’s a bit of a clunker – considering that this diminutive term phrase is in the title to your thread, which is on a public forum used by women cyclists.

I realise you were trying to play it for the funnies. (Ho-ho.) But it’s probably not all that funny.

aP
    Free Member

As twisty is going to be posting stuff here until the end of time, unless someone comes up with an UCI Commissaire’s detailed investigation of the entire racing incident, I’m out.
    And “girl”? She’s 28 FFS.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Hardly, if the series of events was significantly different to that, she’d have been DQ’ed.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Girl / woman is a difficult one and not as straight forward as some are making out. Plenty girls in their late 30’s who object to being called women as their interpretation of it is that you’re being derogatory about their appearance and telling them that they look old. Now we need to work out why the words woman and man have different meanings depending on your age and gender. Good luck with that.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Everyone else in that video must be doing it wrong too as only Cueff is leaning the to the outside and taking out the other riders in the process.

Everyone else in that video is riding faster. There’s a certain speed on the banking that you’ll just fall off, probably around the speed they are going.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Seems to be going the same speed as the other riders who aren’t falling off their bikes.

nickc

Knock yourself out#

Results book, has all the decisions, notes and times, if there was any discussion or decision or fines or penalties it’ll be in here.

aP
    Free Member

Everyone else in that video is riding faster. There’s a certain speed on the banking that you’ll just fall off, probably around the speed they are going.

You can ride on the banking at walking pace, so that’s wrong as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Naughty girl at the track’ is closed to new replies.