Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • N1no Schurter – The Hunt For Glory – Bonkers cross training
  • tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/2016/02/n1no-schurter-the-hunt-for-glory-bonkers-cross-training/

Anyone in possession of the breakdown of Nino’s routine? I am very interested in finding out details.

phil40
    Free Member

Just NUTS!

I don’t think I could do even 1 rep of those exercises!

alextemper
    Free Member

Plyometrics, Core Stability and hip mobility work with the addition of movements designed to require concentration during times of fatigue which is a nice touch to simulate last lap scenarios. Nothing ground breaking in the concepts but the execution is more unique using custom equipment in places to try and replicate body english on the bike.

Interesting and good to see alternative training methods.

ferrals
    Free Member

I am going to try and make one of those wobble boards with a handle bar at some point!

docgeoffyjones

He should probably just ride his bike more otherwise he will never be successful.

Kryton57

This makes me think I’m just not trying hard enough :-/

theotherjonv

I tried hopping up stairs last night.

On hearing the crashing my wife came out and told me in a voice reserved for small children to stop playing about on the stair or I’ll hurt myself.

She’s the only thing standing between me and becoming world champ. I hope she realises that.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Could you not just use a bar and a stem to make a simple balance bar for press ups? I seem to remember seeing Tawnee Seagrave using them in a (very old) Dirt article.

adsh
    Free Member

Training for recovery in world cup technical areas – brilliant

Training for recovery in Gorrick events – possibly not my number 1 priority.

wrecker
    Free Member

Plyometrics, Core Stability and hip mobility work with the addition of movements designed to require concentration during times of fatigue which is a nice touch to simulate last lap scenarios. Nothing ground breaking in the concepts but the execution is more unique using custom equipment in places to try and replicate body english on the bike.

Hang on, it seems like we have someone who actually knows what they are talking about!
    It’s normally just broscience “all you need is heavy compound lifting” bollocks on here!

teasel
    Free Member

It’s normally just broscience “all you need is heavy compound lifting” bollocks on here!

You must be viewing a special sub forum or something; I can’t claim to have read anything like that on this forum, instead an eclectic mix of opinions (some not so workable or relevent, admittedly) on how to achieve whatever the OP is about.

Aditionally – obvious troll is obvious… 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

He’s got too much time on his hands. Should get a proper job instead of just messing about on bikes.

wrecker
    Free Member

Aditionally – obvious troll is obvious…

How is it trolling? Who is it trolling?
    The video shows the amount of specificity a world champion mountain biker has in his regime, and it just shows what a load of rubbish the “deadlift deadlift deadlift” mantra is, certainly for people doing sport which actually requires moving from a single spot.

teasel
    Free Member

You’re trolling by claiming most of the folk here claim compounds are all you need. It’s a lot more varied than that.

Can’t say I’ve ever read anyone claiming “deadlift deadlift deadlift” TBH.

wrecker
    Free Member

You’re trolling by claiming most of the folk here claim compounds are all you need.

Maybe not most, but it’s certainly a popular view.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Aaaaahnd…
    we have an argument… 😀

(which, ironically, by itself almost proves one of these arguers right. But which one.. Hmmm…?)

jairaj

Nothing ground breaking in the concepts but the execution is more unique using custom equipment in places to try and replicate body english on the bike.

As weekend warrior I’ve never done any proper training and certainly not supervised by a pro trainer. Due to my lack of experience I was wondering if those techniques were something different or not. Some of those exercises looked pretty fun in a “this is going to really hurt” way.

I am going to try and make one of those wobble boards with a handle bar at some point!

I can get inline for one too?

mrhoppy

I shouldn’t feed the troll but, I don’t think anyone has claimed all you need to become a world champion is deadlifts, they may have suggested that your avearage, time limited fat knacker looking to build generic strength is better off with compound exercises than nothing/isolation exercises.

And that session was full of compound exercises anyway, just focussed on a very specific outcome. In the gym he’s on low rep squats on some fairly hefty weights.

teasel
    Free Member

Maybe not most, but it’s certainly a popular view.

Yeah, it’s quite trendy at the moment and for good reason – the deadlift is a simple and effective exercise. Personally, I like to mix it up a bit or I’ll get bored but each to their own etc.

If you think it’s bad here you should take a look at T-Nation or similar…

wrecker
    Free Member

And that session was full of compound exercises anyway

No it wasn’t! Anything but! He did a squat and a Bulgarian split squat, the rest was absolutely specific. Did you even bother watching it? How do you know how many rep squats he was doing?
    If anyone’s trolling, it’s you!

time limited fat knacker looking to build generic strength is better off with compound exercises than nothing/isolation exercises.

A fat knacker should NOT be recommended to just go a start deadlifting. It’s just stupid.

Personally, I like to mix it up a bit more or I’ll get bored but each to their own etc.

You’re probably training smart. I watch some people in the gym and they barely move, just static, fixed plane, one directional movements. DLs and squats are great, but unless you’re an out and out strength athlete who does little else, it’s just a small part of a workout.

vondally
    Free Member

The training is functional to the sport…..if you want to be good at the sport develop the muscles and reflexes for that sport…..there are specific strength elements to the work out and ‘compound’ workouts….see the press up position on a bosu ball and the metal ‘ log’.

The opinions on compounding lifting are,IMHO, over stated…unless developed to fit the function of the sport…squats and clean & jerk are great exercises but need to be placed in a wider regime. Cross training was about that not getting into a regime or routine, cross fit is something different… Can of worms I know but an important distinction.

I like the video and training ideas, nothing new but clever, intelligent work out that deals also with boredom of training and the mental fatigue as well.

wrecker
    Free Member

vondally +1.

vondally
    Free Member

. time limited fat knacker looking to build generic strength is better off with compound exercises than nothing/isolation exercises.

Probably after visiting doctor first for a health check, then finding a good gym and instructors and then looking at a programme of body weight/plyometric exercises/ cardio and then light weights to develop the techniques and skills to lift correctly.

mrhoppy

No it wasn’t! Anything but! He did a squat and a Bulgarian split squat, the rest was absolutely specific. Did you even bother watching it?

Yes, and most of those exercises had other things in them so the back extension on the pedal thing is doing arms, back and stomach, weighted leg slides with body elevated, pressups on the wobbleboard, balancing standing on the Swiss ball, they’re all there to engage the maximum numbers of muscles in a single exercise. It’s dynamic and aerobic but they’re all compound.

teasel
    Free Member

You’re probably training smart.

Smart? I’m as thick as pig’s shit. But when I started this whole workout thing I decided that I didn’t just want the body to look like it was strong, I wanted a strong functional body I could use during the activities in which I like to get involved – explosive exercises coupled with a few compounds with heavy (for me) weights have helped realise that. And continue to do so.

yunki
    Free Member

I always ride loads more skillfully and confidently when I’ve been battering a variety of core stability exercises..
    Loved the vid..

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s dynamic and aerobic but they’re all compound.

Compound lifts?!?!?
    Nico’s routine looks brilliant to me (for a lot of the reasons alextemper says). I’ll be stealing some of those exercises for sure.

mrhoppy

No compound exercises, if you’d read what I posted you’d see that’s what I said.

vondally
    Free Member

We enter the world of semantics, personally

A compound lift is a specific weightlifting/weight routine such as a squat, deadlift, clean and jerk even the bench press.

A compound workout combines several’ exercises’ into one routine of time or reps….as above the press up/0plank on bosu ball and log within a routine of three other exercises

Rotational movement is really important and oft overlooked. Done incorrectly incredibly incapacitating.

Core is essential to powerful mountain biking but so is stretching the hip flexors.

wrecker
    Free Member

if you’d read what I posted you’d see that’s what I said.

likewise!

It’s normally just broscience “all you need is heavy compound lifting”

And that session was full of compound exercises anyway

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘N1no Schurter – The Hunt For Glory – Bonkers cross training’ is closed to new replies.