Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • MYSQL admin help!
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve recently upgraded my ubuntu server and it’s buggered up, typical! The upgrade process failed, I think, due to the fact that I appear to have “gained” a database called ‘#mysql50#.gnome’ which I can’t delete, rename or fix. Any tips?!

chvck
    Free Member

All the fun of trying to do an upgrade eh? Usually easier to wipe and install the new distro fresh!

Sorry can’t be of any help, if it screwed up part way might just be easiest to wax the partition and start again?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Everything else has been fine, it just seems to be mysql that’s hosed.

xiphon
    Free Member

Do you have root access to mysql?

Any errors in the logs why you can’t delete/rename/fix?

Can you do a SQL dump, then remove the current MySQL…. remove…. install new version…. restore SQL dump?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve got root access and the only place the odd name appears to show its face is the list of database names, there’s nothing in the data dir unlike the other databases. I’ve got a series of backup dumps, I could remove and re-install but I have a feeling it’ll drop a whole heap of other packages on the way, which is a bit of a pain.

Nothing in the logs other than to say “incorrect database name” when I try any operation on it.

Markie
    Free Member

I’d install webmin (it’s in the repos) and do it all from a GUI.

[And then end up having to rebuild the system.]

geoffj

Upgrade to Windows?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Think I’ve sussed it, it was a hidden .gnome# folder with at and crontab subdirs, tracked it down and removed it and it seems to pass tests now.

I’d install webmin (it’s in the repos) and do it all from a GUI.

I was happy from the cli, but webmin didn’t play ball either 🙂

plodtv
    Free Member

strange directory to end up in the datadir though

Markie
    Free Member

I was happy from the cli

Crikey, the best I ever feel when using the cli is ‘moderately disheartened’! 😉

Glad you were able to track the problem down. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Crikey, the best I ever feel when using the cli is ‘moderately disheartened’!

That was something of a keyboard warrior bravado, I have been sat here for 10 minutes trying command options to be fair!

xiphon
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Upgrade to Windows?

Good idea. Let’s go one better, and upgrade to OSX….

coffeeking
    Free Member

Better idea, I keep with what I know and what has absolutely shedloads of free advice online… 🙂

plodtv
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    Better idea, I keep with what I know and what has absolutely shedloads of free advice online…

and is FOSS

coffeeking
    Free Member

indeed! Thanks to all those who’ve contributed, for free, however minor.

geoffj

Good idea. Let’s go one better, and upgrade to OSX….

Indeed

Posted from my iPad

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘MYSQL admin help!’ is closed to new replies.