Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • My pro2 bearings keep on dying! why!!??
  • toys19
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – Member

I think prising seals off for re-greasing is ok and SKF seems to think so too, since they make reference to it on their website – specifically increasing the re-lubrication interval in dirty conditions (ring and bells?)

Show me show me link me up baby..

foxyrider
    Free Member

Here's an article I wrote on hub service:

Also not the same bearings but an article on servicing Hope headsets and how to prise of beraring seals and grease them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Prise the seal from the larger outer side though, since that seal edge doesn't see any work, so if any incidental damage occurs, it shouldn't matter too much.

IME this ALWAYS bends the seal, prizing it off from the inside is less likely to.

foxyrider
    Free Member

At the end of the day if the bearings are contaminated and on their way out then what is lost by trying to clean and re-grease them?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No point in re-installing failed bearings dude.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'd not prise a seal like that shown.

Seals don't bend if you're careful enough. If you prise up directly from a single point they will, but if you open a small gap without lifting, you can slide a stanley blade in and around the radius. This lifts the seal without bending it.

Toys 19. – Digging now. Bear with me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

No point in re-installing failed bearings dude.

I didn't say failed cynical – I said contaminated etc. If you want to get a few months more I have not problem doing it.

you can slide a stanley blade in and around the radius

Thats what I am showing on my picture is it not SO?

I just did it a month ago with my headset bearings, I did not bend the seals or visibly deformed the compound, regreased and things are running very smoothly. I agree that replacing mashed bearings is pointless – the last time I replaced them it was with new ones 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

These are a few links. The lubrication section in general talks heavily about re-lubrication of rolling bearings.

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=9_0_73

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=9_0_75

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=9_0_1

You're opening that bearing on the inner seal that sees all the rotation. I personally don't think that's a good idea especially with something sharp.

YMMV.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

wish i'd seen this before i bought the new bearings. i thought regreasing was a no-no.

i only got 3 rides out of the latest set so im asssuming its just the grease thats knackered? i'll have a pop at regreasing later…

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP how have your bearings "failed"?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

just feel really gritty and rough – no play yet though

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

No play equals a purge of grit and a regrease IMO.

As has been said, you've got nothing to lose.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep thats my next move i reckon – got new bearings on order anyway so nothing to loose really!

twiceforluck
    Free Member

Hi guys, recently found play in my rear hub after a muddy weekend in south Wales and decided to change the bearings.

My first set lasted about 3 years, my second set (this set) only 1 year. From taking the hub apart it looks like the non drive-side seal is damaged which may have let in gunk. It might be that the conditions were just terrible (went through lots of brake pads) and they had taken a beating but I think it's the seal that's done it. Have a look at these pics and let me know what you think:

APro 2 hub pics

Also, do you think I need a new freehub body? It's got a bit of damage but I don't think it's that bad. If I had to buy a new freehub I'd be tempted to get a whole new hub.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘My pro2 bearings keep on dying! why!!??’ is closed to new replies.