Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • My off-road night riding helmet ….
  • OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

I made this to compliment my Tiger lights. Looks like this:-

The helmet is an 'el cheapo' Lidl one and the light is based on a LED Lenser H7 unit, probably the best 'bang-per-buck' headtorch out there. Costs under £35 and forget the 140 lumens spec; mine easily outperforms my mate's 250 lumens one, as shown here. Mines on the left:-

Find the torch here:-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-LENSER-H7-HEAD-TORCH-BRAND-NEW-CHEAPEST-EVER_W0QQitemZ200409080150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item2ea94fe156

I did modify this by removing the 'behind the head' battery holder as it uses AAA batteries and I substituted one of these:-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-AA-Battery-Box-Holder-with-Switch-Hobby-Model-Toy_W0QQitemZ360167149099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET?hash=item53dba28e2b

Reason for this is that AAA have a much shorter between charges life. Longest I've ever seen in rechargeable is 1000mAh whereas AA go to over 2700mAh.

I just removed the elastic band, made a small bracket that is zip-tied to the helmet, cut away the old battery holder (this unfortunately disables the fader switch, but as mine was on full power all the time …..) and soldered the battery holder on it. This is held to the helmet top with a Velcro strap and has a bit of rubber (old bar grip) under it to keepi it steady.

Whole lot including the helmet and batteries weighs just under 500gms and costs less than £40 – or about £50, including the helmet.

Gives the Hope Vision 1 a good run, being just as bright but with the ability to flick between flood and spot with a simple thumb slider switch.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

top bodging. do you find it heavy to ride with?

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Not at all. Hardly notice it, TBH.

My mate is an American football nutter. 6ft 4ins tall, 18 stone and wears an American football helmet with his light on, as apparently my helmet gives no protection to my chin …. duuurh!

Now THAT'S heavy!! 8)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘My off-road night riding helmet ….’ is closed to new replies.