Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • My new (to me) Jones
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help on this forum with regard to building up my new (to me) Jones bought off Gotama.

Only one further piece of advice needed, what front tyre pressure should I start with?

Rolling Darryl with Bud tyre. Thinking of 8 psi, but sue I can lower this to 6 psi for a little extra squish around Afan.

After having the Trek Stache 9 29+, I really got the bug for a big front tyre and large(ish) back tyre.

Always fancied a Jones, and you only live once.

Regards

Denis

weeksy

I’m actually lost for words. Not sure if that’s good or bad though.

vorlich
    Free Member

I bought Gotama’s diamond frameset, it arrived in great condition. I can’t imagine ever getting rid of it, it would be my only bike if it ever came down to it.

As for the PSI, just ride it! 😉

seanthesheap
    Free Member

They’re great bikes, looking good.

aa
    Free Member

Looks good. Enjoy!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s grotesque. As long as you like it though.

matt_outandabout

You have some damp in that wall behind the plants.

Gis a go, I’m fat front curious…

Denis99
    Free Member

I think it’s a marmite bike really, I do like a bit of marmite on thick white toast though.
    Regards

Denis

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Heres mine from last year in NZ.

I run my front end as 29+

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Never mind how they look, they ride amazingly.

😀

CheesybeanZ

Like .

Gotama
    Free Member

I still can’t believe I sold it. When I have more time for riding I will have another Jones; brilliant bikes.

Tyre pressure; I ran between 10 and 12. You’ll find it’s like an angry space hopper if it’s too hard or too squirmy if too soft. The noise is awesumz.

Cheezpleez

Tasty. I’d have bought that if I had the spons.

Denis99
    Free Member

Cheers, 10 psi it is then.

I run the Stache 9 at 10 psi in the front also.
    Regards

Denis

singlespeedstu

You not getting any tyre rub on the fork with a Bud and Rolling D?
    10PSI seems a little high to me with a Bud. Maybe ride it like that for a while and slowly start letting pressure out a little at a time until you feel like you’ve gone too far. When that happens put a couple of pumps back in to it and you’ll be spot on.
    Also try angling your bars down a little. It makes it much better on steep stuff like that. Kind of helps you push against them to keep your weight back.
    It’s also much lighter on your hands and arms when it gets rough.

Looks good though and it’s by far the best handling rigid bike in techy stuff by a country mile.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks Stu

Only ridden around the block at the moment.

front tyre clearance does look close though.

Was wondering if a different front tyre might give me a little more clearance, what would you recommend?

I’ll alter the bar angle, but it did fell very comfortable round the block, no tyre rub, but this is just riding on tarmac with some kerb jumping.

probably ride around Whites Level tomorrow though, all the bits are working as they should.
    Regards

Denis

vorlich
    Free Member

Surly Nate? Can’t imagine ever needing more grip that that gives me!

singlespeedstu

front tyre clearance does look close though.

When I put a Bud on my Rolling D it rubbed the fork when I wasn’t even on the bike. Just shows how variable tyres can be. I ended up putting a Nate back on but I was never entirely happy with it. Far to draggy. That’s why I settled with a 29+ in there.
    Maybe try a narrower rim with the Bud if it does rub. They are a fantastic tyre if you have room for one.

Gotama
    Free Member

Let me know if you want me to post you the floater. My impression of it was that it was a bit rubbish (relatively speaking) in the mud, always wanting to slide sideways off the centre. That could have been me though!

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I will put the Dually on the front with the Knard for tomorrow then.

Not that much mud at afan really, thanks though Steve, I have emailed you with details.
    Regards

Denis

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

wow, I’m starting to like fatties.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yup thats terrible, i like Jones’ i really do, but with a fat front, nah, i cannot ever imagine a scenario that would be a good idea
    Regards

Dan

vorlich
    Free Member

yup thats terrible, i like Jones’ i really do, but with a fat front, nah, i cannot ever imagine a scenario that would be a good idea

Really? Why do you think it’s a bad idea?

ratherbeintobago

What bars are those?

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure that to you it rides like an angel carrying you across the trail but hell, thats a bloody ugly bike.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d love to have a ride on a Jones to see if they ride as amazingly as the hype but a) I’d bet I’d be faster on a full sus in every imaginable situation and b) they make my eyes bleed.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Ignore them pesky poor player haterz

dirtyrider
    Free Member

explain to me, how matching a tyre that big at the front, with a 2.4 Ardent on the rear makes it a good idea?

singlespeedstu

dirty.
    It’s like a reverse mullet.
    Party at the front and buisness at the back. 😉
    DBW.
    I bet you’d be faster on the Jones than your rigid bike…

FOG

Bikes are toys for most of us so indulge whatever whim you can afford

jameso

Love it, all black and looking Grade-A B.A.

explain to me, how matching a tyre that big at the front, with a 2.4 Ardent on the rear makes it a good idea?

It’s not really that different to a hardtail, whether either makes sense or not.

Denis99
    Free Member

I’ve got a full suss, I want a Jones for something different.

Not confrontational, so don’t take it the wrong way, but it’s not always about going faster etc.

I genuinely just enjoy going out and riding round the Skyline at Afan, not being concerned about how fast etc.

I ride from my doorstep most times and just wander around single track and fire roads as the mood takes me.

Even just riding it on the Tarmac today it felt very comfortable and relaxed in its riding position. The bars are placed just in the right position and braking and changing gears is effortless.
    Just feels right, can’t comment about off road yet, hopefully if it stops hammering down with rain here, then tomorrow will be the first real impression.

vorlich
    Free Member

No, no, I’m asking you.

Denis99
    Free Member

The big tyre definitely needs a bit more push to steer in my limited riding, but the steering feels very direct as others have said.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Great bike – 😀

Tyre pressure – depending on your weight, 7/8 psi – I think the Bud works best on a 70, or 65mm rim. Also consider a schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8″ tyre, the best summer tyre.

Still love my Jones -even after six years! Hankering after some carbon H bars now!!

1-shed
    Free Member

It would be interesting to hear about the pros and cons between the Jones and the Trek. A little write up would be appreciated. Thanks 1 shed.

jamj1974

I like it OP. Always liked the idea of the different approach that Jones take to get a high-performing bike.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This looks great.

🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

Clipless pedals! How did you mount the cleat to your Birkenstocks? 😡

john_l
    Free Member

Awesome bike! I’ve a diamond with truss & just love it.

Haven’t tried fat front, but am using a knard at the moment & have just ordered a Panaracer Fat B Nimble, which looks interesting. Also very tempted to build my spare wheelset into a pair of 27.5 rims at some point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘My new (to me) Jones’ is closed to new replies.