• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dooge.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My new ride…
  • dooge
    Free Member

After my mk1 Nomad failed dismissally quickly I decided to go for something newer, slacker and well designed. The Dixon fitted the bill!

Initial impressions are stiff from the 12mm back end, reasonably well balanced, pedals very well uphill. I havent taken it on any techy stuff but liking its confidence so far.

Thinking of going for a 70mm stem from the current 50mm to be a little more stretched as it feels a bit cramped. Its a reasonable weight but itll get lighter with some 36 Floats on front too.

What does everyone think?

racefaceec90

i like that 🙂

Nice – my mate has a black one. I look at it and think it must be really heavy, but pick it up, or have a quick spin on it and it’s surprisingly not.

However, I’m not surprised it feels cramped, it looks too small for you 😕

devash
    Free Member

Medium or Large?

kimbers

id get the seatpost further back(layback post) and maybe try wider bars, before a shorter stem

jam-bo

ah, the dartmoor scales of truth…

dooge
    Free Member

Definitely Jim, gotta take them with a pinch of salt!

I eventually want a dropper post so a layback may not be an option but I can see what your saying. The bars are 760mm cut down from 780mm which was too wide for comfortable riding. Its a medium, the guy selling it offered mentioned his height in the advert and it was the same as mine so maybe he likes it cramped! The post was dropped down 10mm.

Liking it so far 🙂

lunge

Great looking bike but why oh why do people of STW keep buying bikes that don’t fit them? If you need that much post and a longer stem to make it fit it is the wrong size.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s the right size for larking about & DH/AM though. If the OP wanted To ride XC or 24hr races he’d have got something more suitable I’d have thought

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It looks like a fun bike. I’m sure that’s what you wanted, not XC speed!

If that seatpost is set up for straight-legged pedalling though, it does look a touch on the small side!

Doh1Nut

I have a large Dixon sitting in my garage waiting for Mr UPS to deliver some pikes from France.
    The medium is a better looking frame than the large – I dont like the seatpost/brace arangement.
    14kg does not seem too bad with some real tyres and normal components.

PS I am 6 foot and think I have the right size but only riding it will tell

Its a medium, the guy selling it offered mentioned his height in the advert and it was the same as mine so maybe he likes it cramped! sold it, because it was too small for him

😉

Sorry, I’ll shut up now.

Half the people I ride with have bikes too small for them though and I do wonder what sort of buying process they went through to get to the end result.

BillOddie

If you need that much post and a longer stem to make it fit it is the wrong size.

Post length is irrelevant as long as there is enough in the frame.

Bike sizing need to take into account desired stem length, bar width and fork length as they all have an impact on Effective TT length.

lunge

Post length is irrelevant as long as there is enough in the frame.

See, and I suspect I’ll get shot down for this, I just don’t get that at all. If you want to pedal a bike with any degree of comfort and efficiency you need the right amount of leg extension which comes from the seatpost and the seattube of the bike. Yes, the the toptube length and reach is important as well but you can’t just dismiss the distance from the BB to the saddle as irrelevant.

dooge
    Free Member

I read a review on the 2011 full bike and Devinci I think had a 90mm stem fitted as standard, which they said was a tad long. Its not for all day superlong stints but 3 hour techie blasts with good descents as well as climbs. I may find 60mm is more suitable but until ive ridden it offroad I wont know. I like them slightly small and chuckable too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My new ride…’ is closed to new replies.