Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • my first drop-off
  • lookmanohands
    Free Member

Is it this one or the one just down from it towards birdlip?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Oops

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Oops +1

randomjeremy
    Free Member

It took me 4 years to finally have the balls to do the Chatel road gap. Great buzz once done, but don’t really fancy doing it again, I’m too old and fragile 🙂

datsunman

I’ve been to Morzine a few times and think ‘next year’ every time we ride past the road gap.

sammyc – your video makes it look far too easy! How much speed do you carry, doesn’t look like a lot!?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I jumped of a 30ft waterfall last week

Even having watched a guy go off first, then a girl (who came up bleeding!) I was still bricking myself, and repeatedly walked to the end, bent knees, and ‘jumped’ but somehow self preservation kicked in and I leant back and steped away from the end.

In the end I just had to do it quickly before the doubt kicked in, unfortunately the doubt kicked in about 6ft out and I garbed a branch over my head, it gave way but the guy behind me nearly shat himself thinking I was just going to hang there or rip an arm off or something!

alexxx
    Free Member

Right watch this space – chatel road gap is getting conquered in t-minus 5 weeks. I forgot how small it looks with a rider on it totally forgot 😀 woop – I think AE is a bit bigger but the run off is nicer. Chatel usually has big breaking bumps on the landing

DarrenH

Lookmanohands, it’s the next one up towards birdlip.
    Is that a blurred Bigfoot jersey I see there?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

The chatel one i could hit fairly happily, now the one at morgin is a different matter…

robinbetts
    Free Member

I love how a thread title “my first drop-off” is mingled with posts about 8 by 20 foot gap drops! 😀

jedi

thats the stw way robin :0

lookmanohands
    Free Member

That certainly ain’t no Bigfoot jersey, they couldn’t afford the sponsorship 😀

tang
    Free Member

Might be photoing up there tomorrow, ill try and get some stills of the drop from the side angle. lookma might reveal his sponsor…

alexxx
    Free Member

hehe sorry robin 😀 my advice for you would be to practise getting comfortable on your bike as once your confident in doing bunny hops and manuals for a few seconds you’ll feel much more comfortable pointing it at things.

you could find a steepish slope and start pre hopping it to make yourself a drop and go faster and faster until you have the confidence to do a natural drop. The one in the pic you posted doesn’t look like it needs much speed at all just a confident position on your bike and you’ll be fine then you can start hooning off it 😀

dirtbiker – its a bit of a crappy run up aswell at morgins – seen 2 mates hit it with no bother and not much speed. thats certainly second on my list. the chatel drop looks like a nice roll able drop after seeing the vid – also need to do the step up on the way down to the bottom that looks pretty good 😀

SammyC
    Free Member

Yep, the chatel one is actually pretty easy, let off the brakes as you go round the corner and roll from there. The only thing I would say is that don’t shift forwards too early as you fly as you have a reasonable distance to cover. I don’t know if you can see it or not but in the first video I ever so slightly over rotate and land nose heavy.

DarrenH

Keep the ideas and stuff coming guys (cheers!)
    Looks like the next time I’ll have a chance to have a go is next week 🙁

DarrenH

Dan, which trail is teachers? And where abouts?

Dancake
    Free Member

Dan, which trail is teachers? And where abouts?

I always stumble on this one. I guess using the wall entrance as a waypoint, turn into the wood opposite and look for something obvious.

You quickly end up in a nice trail that threads through some low vegetation in a bit of a clearing? (havnt done it for a while)

It is quite long and good fun, and as I say there is a little jump at the bottom. You end up having to climb back up a road/ track that is near the forbidden land, I think…

*Might have sent you completely the long way. Hope that helps

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Chatel gap is completely mind over matter, the first 2 years we went to Morzine I couldn’t MTFU and hit it, despite every I was with doing it & us all being a similar riding level. I always had an excuse.

However I made myself do it a few years ago, and it’s the classic example of ‘is that it????’

Don’t stand and stare at it for too long, the pace is easy, I started a couple of corners up, couple of decent pedal turns and iff the brakes and away you go. Keep the bike level off the lip and your speed/natural trajectory will take you to the landing.

The one that gets me is the river gap further down the hill, i’m sure its been chopped out to be bigger than it used to be.

SammyC
    Free Member

Jeepers! 😯

lucien

Strategically placed crash mats I see – make mental note to self, “where can I get crashmats from………”

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That river gap is on a blue run as well!

The amount of crap in the gap made it look like you were landing in some sort of medieval torture chamber.

Only saw one person hit it when were out there and he cased it badly.

MRanger156
    Free Member

If thats the one I think it is then its definately gotten bigger as 3 years ago I was contemplating hitting it. Not a chance if its that big.

jedi

looks fun 🙂

DarrenH

*update* conquered the drop off yesterday 😀
    My first landing was a “little” front heavy but I went on to nail it about 10 times.
    My next target is the larger drop off in Lookmanohands pic.
    Thanks for all the help/advice/goading people!

v666ern
    Free Member

What bike are you on, im hoping to do that drop next week having wussed my way over the last bomb hole further on down the racetrack…will upload pics later!

DarrenH

V666- I did the drop off on my heckler last weekend.
    It’s like all The previous people have said on here, there’s not that much to it,
    Get a nice speed in and just a small pull on the bars as you lift off.
    I’m currently wimping out and picking peoples brains on here about the bigger drop you mentioned further on down.
    I’m looking forward to the pics!

v666ern
    Free Member

ooh, havent manned up for that one either yet, im blaming lack of air in forks – they bottomed out at lecky last week 🙁 just bought a pump though so on it next week 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

Cranham racetrack

hope this works, couple of pics of the run on down

i manned the f down on this and went really slow in on it, the lip is just roots with a foot vertical drop onto an off camber landing. Just leant right back and got down with luck! next time it’ll be faster!

DarrenH

Where are those pictures from mark?
    I know the racetrack quite well now but I haven’t got a clue which bits those pics are from.
    Look good though! 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

ive only been up about a dozen times, from the bomb hole we’ve been discussing then there’s another 2 (?) then its the last one where the track rolls off a bank on the right and then over a drop (mound) on the left. Its not quite a bomb hole like the ones up the road but about 6 foot deep at most

I have to then ride bout 50 yards back up the road to cross over for the shrine

v666ern
    Free Member

i think its here
    whats this called?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

wtf. where did you get that map from v666ern?

/edit – thats a surprised wtf by the way

v666ern
    Free Member

ripped it off of an old thread a couple of weeks back…i just googled cranham bike trail maps and it found that one

i know these things are closely guarded, was that ok to do? 🙄 I have a portway route too!

disclaimer; thats not my map, but bloody helpful!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Of course its fine to do, if the owner wanted the map to be private then he (by that I mean “I”) should have ticked the unlisted box rather than the public one!
    Ha I opened the link and thought, that’s funny I made a map like that once… wait a minute. proceeded by me finding out what other stuff was public! it’s had 400 views that map, another birdlip one i’ve got which is unlisted has 2333 views?!?

Anyway, as you were! carry on!

DarrenH

I need to get up and have a mooch around!
    Guess I don’t know all the ins and outs of the racetrack.

v666ern
    Free Member

Darrenh – for the record i went up to the racetrack today and i did these 2 drops (expecting abuse, but i was proud of it) and didnt do the one you pictured as it just looks too scary! 😆

[video]http://<object width=”384″ height=”288″ ><param name=”allowfullscreen” value=”true” /><param name=”movie” value=”http://www.facebook.com/v/10150369231823102&#8243; /><embed src=”http://www.facebook.com/v/10150369231823102&#8243; type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=”true” width=”384″ height=”288″></embed></object>[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

i hope your drop off was better than you link attempt
    Linky no work

DarrenH

try linking again Mark!

Dancake
    Free Member

This is it I guess

looks good. where is that?. Cant picture on the Racetrack where… I notice facebook links – Would a local facebook group be good for sharing this stuff? – have a few riding buddies on FB

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘my first drop-off’ is closed to new replies.