Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • My 5 Spot rebuild.
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive just started building up my 5 spot after having powdercoated.

Made good progress so far but just waiting on a couple of bits before I can finish it.

Everything has been stripped and cleaned (in the dishwasher :mrgreen:)so it all feels nice and new now.

Just waiting on some black cable ties and a few other things and it will be done!

Opinions then !!

Cheers

Steve

renton
    Free Member

Before..

After …

Suggsey
    Free Member

I preferred the black TBH but colour always is a personal preference! And before someone else tells you my Orange is Purple 😆

renton
    Free Member

It was grey before bud!!

It will look better with the decals on and all the cables in the right places!

roverpig

Very nice, but then I have an irrational hatred of grey mountain bikes 🙂

takisawa2

Needs decals.
    And, some red anodised bits.

Were the cables/hoses of the Goodies tandem ?

These minor issues aside, I love green bikes. 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice work.

downhilldave

Brake hoses and cables too long just as they were before the refurb. The head badge would look better black especially if going with black decals. Ps don’t buy the cheap ones on Ebay they are rubbish. The X King will be good in the muddy season 😯

renton
    Free Member

It’s just the front brake hose that is to long the others are fine once clamped in place!

Didn’t know you could get different coloured head tube badges? ? Where from?

renton
    Free Member

Couple more in natural light !! It really is quite bright :mrgreen:

Cables will be done tomorrow after Ive got some ties from work. Brake hose is also getting done.

Where can I get a black head tube badge?

renton
    Free Member

Cheers Coogan at those prices I think I will have a go at painting this one i have !

X king swapped with a thinner maxxis ignitor for winter duties by the way.

downhilldave

Give the badge a good rub down and finish with satin black rattle can. Worked well for me.Looking good Btw

renton
    Free Member

Cheers Dave might give that a go !

granny_ring

Think the white goes better with the green.

renton
    Free Member

Getting there….

Final jobs to do…

Shorten front brake hose
    fit new decals
    fit chain
    fit protective tape
    Ride it !!!

comments welcome !

rickon
    Free Member

Aren’t you selling this on PinkBike?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member
    renton
    Free Member

Hi, yes I have got it up for sale however I wont let it go for anything less than its advertised for.

Its a fantastic bike and Im not sure really if I am doing the right thing by trying to sell it but the fact is ive rode it maybe 4 or 5 times since I bought it and feel like its a waste of a great bike sat there doing nothing.

Also I need to free up some cash and have no other way really??

lowey

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but I think that looks god awful mate.

Personally think 5 spots should be black or sangria.

As I say though… if you like it thats great.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks Lowey….
    The colour looks a lot different in the flesh, very bright.

Will look better with the decals no doubt, I like it though !!

remoterob
    Free Member

Renton, you often seem to be buying and selling to free up cash or because you don’t ride enough/buy the wrong bike – every time you do that, you must spend a few hundred pounds on new parts/upgrades/refurbs. Isn’t it better to stick with a bike like this for a number of years, then in say three years time, having a shopping spree on the bike you really want?

renton
    Free Member

remoterob… Ive bought and sold my way up to the 5 spot I currently have mate?

Its true that I dont ride enough, maybe thats down to my job and the fact that in the past 2 and a bit years Ive spent a year of that time in Afghanistan so along with courses and family life I simply dont have time to rideas much as I want.

The last bike I bought was this in Feb so its not really that often is it?

Never said Ive bought the wrong bike so not sure where you got that info from.

Mountain biking is my passion mate so what is really wrong with buying and selling bikes to try them out?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks like you need a 29er to me 😀

The Spot is nice, but a bit of a gate in XL.

renton
    Free Member

Chunkymtb I don’t think it looks anything like a gate to be honest and plus why would I want to ride something inferior like a 29er!! 😆

renton
    Free Member

Now with decals………….

Chain is being fitted tomorrow along worth the front hose being shortened

Bernaard
    Free Member

Nice. I pick up my Kawasaki green inbred from the powdercoaters tomorrow

renton
    Free Member

Done !!! :mrgreen:

Took for it a quick shake down blast ast night and its awesome !! really smooth and the brakes are really powerful compared to the vee brakes on my commuter!!

Cheers

Steve

downhilldave

First ride? 🙄

renton
    Free Member

Tomorrow is first outing!!

endurokid
    Free Member

Looking good dude.

Just needs finishing off with a single ring up front!

renton
    Free Member

Cheers mate.

Its getting a new drivetrain i the new year… just need to decide on what to get?

Any suggestions?

thered

Much prefer the grey tbh.

endurokid
    Free Member

X01 or XX1 if you take out a second mortgage!

Deffo 1×10 minimum, 32 up front with a 11/36 out back, clutch mech will negate the need for a chain device, will look so tidy then!

renton
    Free Member

Do you think Zee is any good or should I stick with slx?

endurokid
    Free Member

Zee is just a scaled down version of Saint. I use a Zee chainset as I wanted a single specific crank, my previous was SLX and I rate both.

As they both get really good write ups I guess it would go on looks, budget and if you want a single specific crank or if you want a 2×10.

Both are just as good as each other IMHO.

razorrazoo

Raceface narrow wide, 11-36 cassette, zee fr or SLX medium cage shadow plus mech and SLX/zee shifter. Job done.

endurokid
    Free Member

Or as above!

davosaurusrex

Downtube decals are too close to the headtube, doesn’t look right. In fact looks like they’re too short, ebay jobs? Think I might have a few spares kicking around if you want me to have a look?

I had an xl grey five spot and whilst a great bike I do think they look like gates with the long head tube. Got an xl sultan now and the proportions are much better and it’s in no way inferior!

renton
    Free Member

YGM davosaurusrex

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘My 5 Spot rebuild.’ is closed to new replies.