Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Muse = Smashing Pumpkins for the naughties?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just drifting down memory lane, listening to Siamese Dream etc (inspired by the ‘Nirvana thread’) and it suddenly occurred to me that there are some striking similarities between these two bands? Anyone else thought this??

allthepies
    Free Member

nope.

CountZero

Queen, yes. Pumpkins, no.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Siamese Dream is one cracking album.

rysz
    Free Member

Not really, I see Siamese dream as a real insight into the times, however Muse are more above the times, I mean that there is no such thing as a typical Muse album, I do enjoy how they are getting more orchestraic (sp?).

Both awesome bands though!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I see ‘My Chemical Romance’ to be the Pumpkins for the noughties, as countzero says, Muse are more of a Queen facsimile

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not one for ‘contemporary’ music, or following the latest trends, but Muse are one baynd that do stand out for me, because there’s so much energy in their performance. It’s just 3 blokes making all that sound.

Good stuff.

First time I ever heard this, I thought ‘bloody hell, that’s a tune and a half’. T’was on Chis Moyles an’ all. One of the only two or three times I’ve ever had his show on. 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e3Amp4SgOY[/video]

Keva
    Free Member

Elf that was from Origin of Symmetry when they were good about ten years ago. Muse not so good these days.

Kev

fourbanger
    Free Member

I was watching Muse the other year at Glastonbury with a few mates. One of the girls in the group was getting a proper hard-on for them, big fan, and her BF was doing a good job a winding her up, not being a fan himself. Anyhow, he got me enlisted to help stir her up a bit as I’m good at it. Muse really passed me by, not my thing at all, so I don’t really know their music. The first thing that pops into my head is that they sound a bit like U2. U2 of course being the antichrist of music for people “who are into” music. I tell the girl they’re just the U2 of our generation and nothing to get excited about, calling them U2-2. She strongly disagrees as you can imagine if you’re “into” music and at that exact moment, with proper comedy timing, The Edge stroles out on stage for a quick guitar solo.
    That is all.

Garry_Lager

Not feeling it – two different sounds.

Impossible to dislike Muse, but they’re in dire need of a testicle transplant. They’re your wife/gf’s favourite rock band – nothing wrong with that but the lead singer could do with channeling some more of the influences he goes on about (e.g. QotSA)

momo

Wash your mouth out with soap for even suggesting such a thing!

Conqueror
    Free Member

+1 momo

Don’t see the likeness, only heard small amounts of Muse but…

Siamese dream is quite grungy and how would you classify Machina? I won’t bother, it has a fairly unique sound though

Certainly don’t think either of those sound like Muse

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

God no! Smashing Pumpkins are way better. Muse is alright but meh, because I am feeling extra articulate tonight.

Not sure what my favourite SP song is… I do love Siamese Dream and the track Dissarm is the only one I can play on the guitar and sing (badly).

I think after the album Adore they went downhill. Would have coincided with Darcy leaving the band. She rocked.

The original line-up.

Thinking about it now, they were the band that pretty much defined my youth. Yay go pumpkin heads! 😛

Cougar

I was always reasonably ambivalent towards Muse till I saw them live.

Bugger me, but Matt Bellamy is a top notch genius. The boy’s incredible. And the other two aren’t two shabby either. Quality live band, batters anything they’ve ever put down on disc.

jhw
    Free Member

Muse are dreadful. As “important” a band as Papa Roach. The fact that people point to them as evidence that proper rock music isn’t dead, tells you just how dead it is.

Pumpkins are one of the greatest bands ever.

So no.

I do agree that Pumpkins and Muse share the same trait of sounding deep and meaningful and important, until you listen to the lyrics and realise they mean absolutely nothing.

The difference is that the Pumpkins’ meaningless lyrics are backed by Billy’s voice and Jimmy’s drumming, whereas Muse are backed by a 36-piece orchestra and no bass line. It’s like they’ve gone straight to the post-rehab overproduced “concept album” stage all dying bands go through, without ever having released the short snappy genius first album to justify the later crap.

Did you know, and I haven’t verified this but read it on Popb1tch, that apparently the bassist in the Pumpkins is the girl on the left on the cover of Siamese Dreams? Surely not…

http://www.nme.com/news/smashing-pumpkins/55047

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Muse are dreadful.

You are wrong.

Elfin hath spoketh.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

You are wrong.

-no YOU are wrong, Elfin.

Cougar

Muse are dreadful.

Seriously. Go and see them. Muse The CD and Muse The Live Act are two very different beasts.

I went to see them under duress as a band I could care more about. They blew my ears off. It’s the second time in my life I’ve seen a three-piece and thought “how the crap do they do that?” (though, Matt Bellamy playing half an orchestra as a one-man band kinda answers that question). The last time was Therapy?.

jhw
    Free Member

I haven’t seen them. Maybe I’m missing the point.

Any band whose songs don’t work if you strip it down to a guitar, a bass and a drum kit, is $hit, and Muse prove that. They sound like a bunch of guys who learned to play their instruments in a pub, can’t write any songs, but somehow have funding so could hire a bunch of classically trained musicians to gloss over the talent vacuum

Exactly what happened to Silverchair after they stopped ripping off every other grunge band on the planet btw

mrblobby
    Free Member

Muse… don’t get it at all. Been to a gig, bizarre experience. Visually quite impressive but seems totally souless.

The pumpkins with Siamese dream, everything muse aren’t, for me anyway.

Cougar

Any band whose songs don’t work if you strip it down to a guitar, a bass and a drum kit, is $hit, and Muse prove that

Muse do prove that, but not in the way you mean.

I’m no Muse fanboi, see my first post. You are, however, wrong. (-:

jhw
    Free Member

The converse are Radiohead, a bunch of classically trained musicians with guitars, and they’re the exact opposite, e.g. I Might Be Wrong, just a guitar and a riff and trumps anything by Muse with their hired-in orchestras

Deliberately being contro btw 🙂

Cougar

The converse are Radiohead

No arguments here. Very, very talented musicians but I’ve had more entertaining bowel movements. They’re the 21st Century The Smiths.

When I saw Muse live a few years ago, they were absolutely awesome, their recent dross just sounds the same every time they open their gobs.

Definitely one to see live though, rather than bore yourself with a CD.

Not really heard much Pumpkins, but wasn’t Billy Corgan a bit of a tit?

Cougar

jhw, with respect, I fear that we may have to agree to disagree. (-:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

-no YOU are wrong, Elfin.

Don’t be so silly.

The Elf is NEVER wrong. Here is wisdom. Learn. Have enriched and enhanced life from this moment on.

Cougar

Not really heard much Pumpkins, but wasn’t Billy Corgan a bit of a ****?

I’ll confess that the majority of my knowledge of the SP comes from The Simpsons.

muggomagic

sounds like just a guitar, bass and drums to me

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVaqQETf_g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

yossarian
    Free Member

The pumpkins star shone brightly for a short while, culminating in Siamese dream. Every album after that was a disappointment albeit with a couple of decent tracks on each.

I don’t think muse are a good comparison. Muse are more considered, more constructed and more ‘stadium’ than the smashing pumpkins ever were.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve said it before on here but I think Muse are what Radiohead would have been if they’d been any good…..

Pigface
    Free Member

Main difference is that the Pumpkins have one of the best drummers of all time.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Whereas I have loads of Muse and Radiohead on my ipod, I have zero Pumkins on there. Don’t think I could even recall one of their songs. I’m assuming from the Pumpkins bit of their name they’re American, so default are rubbish unless they’re a country and western band.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Started to get interested at the Glastonbury gig where the drummer’s father died (tragic). Thought it was an interesting noise.

Lost interest when I heard the next CD that sounded like, yes, U2-2.

Next.

donks
    Free Member

In fairness to the Pumpkins I would say that they had a very unique sound that no one else really captured where as Muse are ok but do have a real queen likeness to them.

The Pumpkins are quality IMO even though i very rarely listen to them these days if i hear a tune I instantly remember just how good the where.

2 bands really stand out for me from that time period….the Pumpkins and Janes Addiction.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s the second time in my life I’ve seen a three-piece and thought “how the crap do they do that?”

The other must have been Rush!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Muse = Whiney middle class shite

MrBlond
    Free Member

No

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Not usually my thing, but really enjoyed their set at Glastonbury Festival last Summer.

upcreek
    Free Member

I like muse till that **** starts moaning all over it.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Muse are weak, Pumpkins had some excellent and genuinely quirky expression. Muse are formulaic. Admittedly the Pumpkins magic did seem to drop off a little with their growing success but Melancholy… is a double disc musical triumph.

I thought Muse had potential when they first came out, but they didn’t seem to move past what the wider mass would like to hear. Shame really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Muse = Smashing Pumpkins for the naughties?’ is closed to new replies.