Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Multimap / Bing – What's going on?
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Anyone know why Bing have removed the ability to search on OS Grid Ref from Multimap since taking it over – I reckon it was one of the most useful features and used to use it a lot at work.

Weirdly, I’ve found that the following will generally still take you to the old site, but occasionally redirects you to the hateful Bing version:

http://classic.multimap.com/index/

portlyone

Bing took them over a few months back. As of late last year started to turn everyone over to Bing from the much better Multimap.

I used it quite extensively through work, even built in links from our database. We used the OSGR refs to compare different types of mapping tools. I use Streetmap now, they have a good coord converter – it’s just an extra step in the process.

IA

Bing took over multimap in 2007.

It’s only recently they’ve changed the interface though.

If it’s something you need for work, why not knock up an interface to what you need with OS opendata:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/

Fairly easy to get a page to give you a map from a grid ref I’d think.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Streetmap doesn’t allow you to toggle to an OS grid view. I’ve looked at using Opendata, but it seems daft to have to develop something yourself when it was available freely via the old Multimap page.

The fact that the old page is still up intermittently via the link above suggests that Bing still have the facility but haven’t chosen to include it in the new interface.

aP
    Free Member

Would this be Microsoft adding much needed versatility and usability to a product that seemed to work pretty well beforehand?

IA

Thing is, IMO bing have improved the service, as I can now click and drag and pan around an OS map, on my desktop and mobile devices, for free.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thing is, IMO bing have improved the service, as I can now click and drag and pan around an OS map, on my desktop and mobile devices, for free.

That’s not an improvement. You could do that with the old multimap page! AND you could search on OS grid..GRRRRRR

kevj
    Free Member

OS grid you say?

Full screen OS mappage

It even gives you the elevation by using the route nodes creator (Bottom left)

I use this to plan routes then download to my GPS.

portlyone

doesn’t wheresthepath have a daily use limit though? handy site to use to compare maps though, if you don’t have multiple screens.

Trimix
    Free Member

Bing is b0llocks though.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for the link – any idea what the daily use limit is?

br
    Free Member

Would this be Microsoft adding much needed versatility and usability to a product that seemed to work pretty well beforehand?

A bit like Visio then?

soma_rich
    Free Member
    SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Getamap is OK, but small map isn’t great and it doesn’t pan very well.

Bizarrely, the old Multimap site has been working every time I’ve used it this morning and hasn’t redirected me to Bing once…. they’re watching us 😯

http://classic.multimap.com/index/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Multimap / Bing – What's going on?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM