Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mugdock trail names
  • Resin42
    Free Member

You know how it is, you're at the start of a ride with your mates trying to plan a route and the conversation is full of "You know the bit after the long bit, with the thing, the one we went round three weeks ago. No not that one…" and so on. So I find myself wanting to give all the main trails names and figure if I'm gonna do that they might as well be the right ones.

I know a few already, such as Rocky Rooty, Flux, Hidden Trail (or is it Secret Trail?) and some more I can't remember right now. Can anyone tell what the cool kids are calling all the good bits? First of all, where's Voodoo Hill? Is it the one marked "footpath to Braehead"?

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

I would like to know this too! However its probably best the less travelled areas still remain secret!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I think everyone has their own names for bits and pieces… My favourites are Rocky Rooty, Flux, Clifftop, Riverside, Windmill and the rest are just a mish mash of bits I like to string together… I map my rides on my phone GPS software, but I quite like that there is still some mystery and that a lot of trails just don't get ridden!

coffeeking
    Free Member

EVery time I've been out with different groups in the area, every single one has a different name for the same sections. As above, I map my rides on GPS and go back and find them later.

Resin42
    Free Member

Clifftop, Riverside, Windmill

I suspect I know these three. Is clifftop the other route if from flux? The one with the cracking view of the campsies at the start?

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Yes that's Clifftop I believe. Voodoo Hill's in the woods across the road from the car park above rocky rooty 😉 Drop us an email if your not sure…

J0N
    Free Member

Heres' my names:
    River Run = riverside
    Cliff top
    Windmill (how old is that windmill BTW?)
    1st Descent (unimaginative) = I'll call it rocky Rooty from now on.
    Poop Shoot
    Puncture Alley (due to the drainage bars a friend ALWAYS punctures here)
    DH
    Mugdrop
    Castle Descent

Whats the name of the short trail that links the Drumclog path to the foot path that climbs to the bench (granny's bench)?

PROLINE85
    Free Member

JON think that last one's "bomb hole"

cynic-al
    Free Member

MInter's flange is my favourite.

iainc

the best name of all though 'bearded clam' not telling where it is though 😛

pistola
    Free Member

Most of these names were coined by GMBC. There are many more names. Come out on a Wednesday night and you'll get to know all the names! 😀

Oh, and Voodoo Hill is the hill beside the reservoirs, on the east/north east side of the water…

iainc

yesterday :

bomb hole, back of voodoo, snakey, drumclog, Loch Ardinning, boardwalk, riverside.

Like Pistola says, come out on a few GMBC rides and all may be revealed 😆

http://www.gmbc.org.uk/

bigyinn
    Free Member

That you pete?

craig1975
    Free Member

all that matters is that there are some quality single track up there and part of the fun is discovering new bits just when you thought you have got them all discoverd… but i think I'm just about there lol

bigyinn
    Free Member

Humph, when i used to ride around there it was all nameless. Must try and get back up there again.

doug_basqueMTB.com

What about "The New Trails", the "New New Trails" and the "Illegal Trails" (which we don´t talk about…)

craig1975
    Free Member

i think it about time you should started talking about them.. 😀

pistola
    Free Member

Bigyinn – Tis I !!!! 😉

Craig1975 – I've been riding 'round these parts for over 20 years and I still find the odd bit of trail I've never been down before…!

craig1975
    Free Member

Craig1975 – I've been riding 'round these parts for over 20 years and I still find the odd bit of trail I've never been down before…!

theres lots more for me to discover.. all part of the fun…

bigyinn
    Free Member

LO captain!
    I miss Mugdock 😥

Vinte
    Free Member

On a slight side note, has anyone noticed recently an increasing number of logs and branches being left obstructing the trails around Mugdock. Any ideas who may be responsible

iainc

Vinte – see this quite a lot, and TBH it's being going on for years. Probably walkers who don't think we should be there. We tend to just move them out the way, but sometimes they are very cleverly placed to cause maximum hassle.

have noticed an increase in mental unleashed dogs though, but that's another story……..

pistola
    Free Member

Some of the logs are put there deiliberately – I'd love to catch someone doing it and ask them WTF they are doing.

I used to think all the logs were deliberate, until I saw a spaniel carrying a log that was a bit long and heavy for it and so it dropped it on the trail, right across it, and left it there. The really big ones though are definite human intervention. Or just really big dogs.

Sanny
    Free Member

I find the jobby trees more disturbing. Chocolate logs in trees give me the fear! It's only a matter of time before I catch one in the face 😯

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

With you there Sanny. Some 8astard keeps doing that down my local trails (River Ayr way), I'd love to catch them doing it. I keep meaning to get up to Mugdock, Think I'll come out with the GMBC soon.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mugdock trail names’ is closed to new replies.