Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • much rain in the dark peak?
  • Pook

I’ve been off the bike for nearly a month but I’m hoping to get out tonight. How are the trails looking? Don’t know where I fancy riding yet

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Not too much, would suggest sticking to the better drained trails though. Was walking round Stanage & Higgrt Tor last night and the footpaths were dry, even the peaty bits were dry. Mate said Rushup was still boggy 48 hrs ago. May see you out there. Cheers, Paul

Naranjada
    Free Member

They looked good, if a little overgrown, on Sunday*. I think it has been mainly dry since Sunday’s dousing so today’s a good day to ride.

*Edit : around Marple

wellsronald18
    Free Member

Yup, you can go today as its dry.

Pook

wells, I go when its wet, but with a heavily bandaged hand I’m hoping to avoid hub sucking puddles

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Pook. Are you not KeeperOfThePeak?

carlos
    Free Member

Was out and about last night and I’d say it was dry. Yeah there was the odd wet puddle or so but nothing worth mentioning.

We did – Pindale, Dirtlow Rake, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross, Greenlands, Jaggers Clough, Hope Cross, Hope Brink, Aston, Hope.

Enjoy getting out

BadlyWiredDog

It’s fine. The odd water splash, but predominately dry in that slightly moist way that’s somewhere between ‘sludge’, ‘loamy’ and ‘dust’.

If mountain bikers were Eskimos we’d have hundreds of words for dirt. In this case the trail forecast: ‘Roman Road, Hope Cross – tank traps holding water otherwise fine. Roman Road, Potato Alley – moist coagulation holding rubble together nicely, tricky when climbing with some slide. Whinstone Lee Tor – moist and taking tyre prints, but no serious slop. Hope Brink – grassy and moist, but again, no slop.

Watch out for unexpected holes… I crashed like a dog twice at the weekend mostly through sheer surprise and wrote off a front tyre in the process 🙂

Pook

I’ve been accused of being the self appointed keeper of the peak in the past.

BadlyWiredDog

Did that include the ducks?

Pook

they belong to prince Philip. The Queen git first dibs on the swans

BadlyWiredDog

It’s just that they seem out of control at the moment. Mugging grockles and stuff. I thought maybe you were in some way responsible… 😉

Pook

its all part of my master plan

andeh

Was out yesterday and it was mostly dry in the open, a bit damp and puddley in the trees (screaming mile sticking in my mind).

Mam Tor was good, but a bit damp down towards Greenlands, I nearly played a bit of facey-floory when my wheel disappeared into what seemed like a “small puddle, probably not even that dee…..OH GOD!”

Pook

cheers andeh – I’m thinking of riding up mam tor and down that way

BadlyWiredDog

You have a master plan. Good god… Never trust a mallard carrying flapjack crumbs on its back.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s just started raining and looks pretty grey out there. Some sort of waterproof may be in order.

Carax
    Free Member

It is raining pussies and woofers at the moment

benman
    Free Member

Well thats tonights ride sacked off then… torrential rain, tunder and lightning in South peak 🙁

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stopped in the Dark Peak and now the sun is breaking through, you can keep your bangs and flashes!

benman
    Free Member

It’s stopping… if it stays dry until clocking off time then I might go out after all – so fickle!

Crag
    Free Member

Lets hope it stays stopped – I’m riding Cut Gate tonight!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

and the rain’s back – could be a bit mixed – see you on the hills.

Mugboo

Rode Cut Gate last night, it were bloody perfect 🙂 We even pushed back up and rode the steps instead of the swoopier descent.
    Then flew back to langsett like the wind…

Odd thing was how few people we met on such a beautiful night!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Not a soul to be seen in 2 hours!
    Bradwell – Batham Gate – Rowter Farm – wound Windy Knoll – Rushup Edge (road) – back up Rushup Edge – Chapel Gate – Edale – race back along valley back to Bradwell before it got too dark (no lights – doh!)

Oh aye – trail conditions – big poodles, bits of mud here and there but nothing too bad. Avoided top of Rushup, advised it was a swamp)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘much rain in the dark peak?’ is closed to new replies.